Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

Fortunately Tobias Myers isn’t doing much at this point. 

Not sure your source of information ….

Myer has a 2.86 ERA last 10 starts with 65 baserunners in 56.2 IP and 47 Ks in Low A full season ball.

He is doing just fine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Encarnacion sounds like Jomar Reyes to me.   

similar tools, but Encarnacion is a better defender and athlete/runner. He projects to stay at third. May have better bat to ball skills and definitely has a higher ceiling. Reyes' ceiling was limited due to defensive questions and contact questions. For Encarnacion, like many raw prospects, the questions are based on ability to carry performance against more advanced pitching(IMO, he will; reminds me of Mountcastle from 2016 but with a position).

7 hours ago, Rojo13 said:

When we traded for Andy Miller, does anyone know where EROD was ranked in our prospect list?

What about when we traded for Bud Norris? Where was LJ Hoes and Hader ranked?

I believe that ERod was the 66th or something close prospect in baseball. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Encarnacion sounds like Jomar Reyes to me.   

I'm watching the swing, there is more looseness there and Encarnacion already lifts the ball, something Jomar has yet to figure out. Also, better chance to stick at 3B.

Jomar is bigger and has more raw power and more arm strength.

5 hours ago, Thato'sfan said:

similar tools, but Encarnacion is a better defender and athlete/runner. He projects to stay at third. May have better bat to ball skills and definitely has a higher ceiling. Reyes' ceiling was limited due to defensive questions and contact questions. For Encarnacion, like many raw prospects, the questions are based on ability to carry performance against more advanced pitching(IMO, he will; reminds me of Mountcastle from 2016 but with a position).

I don't think Encarnacion has a higher ceiling, just a better chance at getting to his ceiling. 

$12 Million, $2.5 Million

No one likes the prospect get in the Gausman deal, but these are the two most important numbers in that deal.  What the Orioles do with that money goes a long way in what this deal looks like in 3 years.

Get VVM, it gets better.

Use that $12 effectively, and it gets better.  Think of it this way, even if payroll doesn't balloon back up next year, that $12 million is a down payment on the player development increase to make sure all these prospects have a better chance of reaching their potential.

5 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How did the context-neutral stats say the Givens did today?

I've been working since 7 this morning, so I don't know.  Nonetheless, even if he gave up eight runs it doesn't change my position.  

MLB FOs don't evaluate pitchers using ERA. They try to evaluate as context neutral as possible. 

27 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

I've been working since 7 this morning, so I don't know.  Nonetheless, even if he gave up eight runs it doesn't change my position.  

MLB FOs don't evaluate pitchers using ERA. They try to evaluate as context neutral as possible. 

You mean a stat that makes you look good as long as you strike guys out and don't give up HR's?

Based on the way the deadline went down, I guess FOs didn't value Givens too high.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, ISU94 said:

Glasnow is a reliever, Meadows shine has come off.

Wasn't great.

He sure looked like a starting pitcher last night. Glasnow has always had great stuff...his problem has been the walks. He seems to have solved that problem. 9 Ks and 0 walks in 4 innings last night. In a few years I think we're all going to be talking abut how the Rays robbed the Pirates in the Archer trade. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He sure looked like a starting pitcher last night. Glasnow has always had great stuff...his problem has been the walks. He seems to have solved that problem. 9 Ks and 0 walks in 4 innings last night. In a few years I think we're all going to be talking abut how the Rays robbed the Pirates in the Archer trade. 

One four inning appearance against the worst team in baseball doesn't really prove much. A lot of people don't consider him much of a SP prospect anymore. The stuff is there for a dominant reliever but I doubt he has the makeup of a starter.

35 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

High K's and low BB's facing the O's... He must be legit.

Archived