Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

O's probably want Mullins to experience a playoff environment.   Norfolk is currently in the lead for the wild card spot.

Mullins is having a good year at AAA.  Mullins is  276/360/455/815 away from Harbor Park.   No one should be judged on how they hit at Harbor Park.    He also  has 12 steal in 12 tries at AAA.  He was 9 for 10 at AA.    So he has stole 21 base in 108 games.

We probably will see him  in Baltimore  after he plays in AAA Playoffs is my guess.  

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Bringing him up now is pointless. He has been mediocre at AAA. He’s only been there for a few weeks. There’s no reason to rush him up. You can (and the O’s have) damage development by bring up someone too soon. I’d much rather hold off until they’re beating down the door. Bring him up in 3 weeks (September) and let him start next year in the minors and gain the extra year of control. Who knows what he will be but most projections have him as a lower division regular or a forth OF. We are talking about an above average defender but not an impact bat. There’s no real need to have him up in this malaise of a season. 

Baloney. How many vets are mediocre? Too damn many. Play the young guys. This season is gone. It's doesn't make sense to keep the vets playing just about every game.  The way Buck handles this team is ridiculous. Sorry but I've had enough.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Jones evidently has stated that he won't move off center until September. I am not sure where or why, But I've read people talking that way.

I don't think Jones has a say where he plays.  Also no reason Mullins can't play left. 

I wouldn't recall anyone until after the time passes where service time would be affected by a recall.

With Mullins his avg and OBP are 30ish points lower than at AA. I'd give him the rest of the season to get the average up before moving him up. 

There is no rush imo .....They need to determine a game plan with Jones. If he can be moved in August it creates the opening. Similarly if they can deal Trumbo or Valencia there will be some open slots.If Trumbo is moved you can move Trey to 1B and DH Davis.

The team will not release guys that are owed significant money. So there is no need to rush the process imo

Other than to make the Orioles slightly more watchable, I see no reason to call Mullins up here. His numbers dont suggest he needs to be rushed. I dont think Mullins is having that great of a year for a prospect. Rickards .415 OBP in Norfolk is alot more impressive, even if its in just 34 games. 

It sounds like the Norfolk playoff run is going to be a thing, and I guess that's okay, but Mullins is going to be a glove guy, and his defense this summer is almost surely going to be better than it will be 7 years from now.

Across 2 levels Mullins has 48 XBH and just 66K, which is a very good ratio.  XBH greater than K is very special.  Even Vlad is only at 38/30 there, though he is 4.5 years younger.

Like almost any rookie, I expect MLB pitchers to have him for lunch for awhile in the beginning.  Now that we've demolished, I no longer see much harm in that being next spring rather than this fall.

Curious what folks are hoping for from him offensively next year.

Personally I would consider 245/300/425 a very good 2019 outcome for him, but 700 is probably a more realistic OPS over/under.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Jones evidently has stated that he won't move off center until September. I am not sure where or why, But I've read people talking that way.

With all due respect to Adam, who I love, who cares what Adam says?  He doesn't fill out the lineup card, and he made it abundantly clear that he didn't owe the Orioles any favors when he declined the trade.  So, if he owes the Orioles nothing, then its a two way street.  He wanted to stay, he'll play where Buck tells him to play, which should be right field with Mullins coming up.

I think the real problem is once again, just like he did with Manny, Buck is letting the player dictate his moves, which is one of the reasons we are where we are right now.  

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Other than to make the Orioles slightly more watchable, I see no reason to call Mullins up here. His numbers dont suggest he needs to be rushed. I dont think Mullins is having that great of a year for a prospect. Rickards .415 OBP in Norfolk is alot more impressive, even if its in just 34 games. 

Only 34 games aside, it would be more impressive without any context.

Context, as always, is important though.

Rickard is 3.5 years older

Rickard had 700 PA at AAA or above before this year, Mullins had 0

Mullins is a grade above Rickard defensively.

Archived