Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

It sounds like the Norfolk playoff run is going to be a thing, and I guess that's okay, but Mullins is going to be a glove guy, and his defense this summer is almost surely going to be better than it will be 7 years from now.

Across 2 levels Mullins has 48 XBH and just 66K, which is a very good ratio.  XBH greater than K is very special.  Even Vlad is only at 38/30 there, though he is 4.5 years younger.

Like almost any rookie, I expect MLB pitchers to have him for lunch for awhile in the beginning.  Now that we've demolished, I no longer see much harm in that being next spring rather than this fall.

Curious what folks are hoping for from him offensively next year.

Personally I would consider 245/300/425 a very good 2019 outcome for him, but 700 is probably a more realistic OPS over/under.

The Steamer projection has him at .254/.300/.406 for right now. So you are in line with the computers.

Kevin Pillar is the closest thing to a comp I can think of, although Mullins might have a bit more raw pop, but lower general contact quality. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They took Hays from Bowie last season when they were about to play game 1 of the playoffs.

Which was a mistake.    They were trying to jump start their offense before they fell completely out of the race, but Hays wasn’t ready for major league pitching and it failed miserably.   

Mullins is more ready than Hays was, but since we aren’t in the race, improving the team in 2018 wouldn’t be the objective of a call-up.     The objective would be to evaluate how ready he is for 2019. On balance, considering service time, the AAA pennant race, political issues with Jones, etc., it’s fine with me if they hold off until the AAA season ends.  

32 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They took Hays from Bowie last season when they were about to play game 1 of the playoffs.

I remember!  I think they thought he would be up this year on a team in a wildcard race.  

Just seems to me that you’d want him to get as many AB’s as possible against major league pitching. Bringing him up is not “rushing” him based on his production at AA and AAA. It doesnt affect when he becomes a free agent from service time. If the issue is not moving AJ off CF then play Mullins in RF!

If it were up to me I'd call up the entire Norfolk Outfield. 

I know Yaz isn't really a prospect but he has .812 OPS at Norfolk and plays good defense. I'd platoon him and Rickard in LF. Then slide Jones over to RF and play Mullins in center. DJ Stewart can come up and get some starts in the outfield and DH.  The outfield defense would be fun to watch. 

But Trumbo on the roster kind of screws everything up. 

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

If it were up to me I'd call up the entire Norfolk Outfield. 

I know Yaz isn't really a prospect but he has .812 OPS at Norfolk and plays good defense. I'd platoon him and Rickard in LF. Then slide Jones over to RF and play Mullins in center. DJ Stewart can come up and get some starts in the outfield and DH.  The outfield defense would be fun to watch. 

But Trumbo on the roster kind of screws everything up. 

You'd play Yaz over Stewart?

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The Steamer projection has him at .254/.300/.406 for right now. So you are in line with the computers.

Kevin Pillar is the closest thing to a comp I can think of, although Mullins might have a bit more raw pop, but lower general contact quality. 

Ever since I first saw him at Bowie last summer, I've had to discipline myself not to throw Al Bumbry...there aren't a lot of 5-8, 175 switch hitting centerfielders!

Al was in Vietnam his Age-23 year in 1970, then couldn't crack the 71/72 teams while hitting .340 over almost 1000 PAs.  Finally in the show for his Age-26 year in 1973, he hit .337 and won RoY.  I don't think the 2019/2020 Orioles will present the obstacles to playing time Bumbry faced two generations ago, so I guess we'll never know if Mullins could threaten .350 if we held him at Norfolk two more years.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Pillar would be a great outcome.   

Archived