Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh, B.S.    Being a team leader doesn’t include agreeing to be traded to another team for some future benefit to the team you used to play for.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I apologize for the “B.S.” remark, which was unnecessary.

Here’s my point: a team leader’s obligations don’t extend to leaving the team.    A player, to be a leader of the “team” (i.e., the 25 players in the locker room), doesn’t have to worry about the longer term interests of the “organization” if it involves him no longer being part of that organization.   He has no reason to care about an organization that he’s not part of, even if he used to be part of it.    His obligations extend to the guys he plays with, while he’s playing with them.    

This is exactly why "B.S." was the proper exclamation.

The logical argument you have provided is irrefutable.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:40 AM, Tx Oriole said:

Buck needs to PDQ. Wish AJ would retire as an Oriole. 

How many years would the Orioles have to offer in a contract to ensure that "AJ would retire as an Oriole?"

Are you suggesting that Adam Jones will/might/should be retiring following the 2018 season?

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

How many years would the Orioles have to offer in a contract to ensure that "AJ would retire as an Oriole?"

Are you suggesting that Adam Jones will/might/should be retiring following the 2018 season?

Yes. He won't though. 

10 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes. He won't though. 

Can you name a healthy, still above-average hitter who retired after his age 32 season? How about a healthy above-average hitter who can play corner OF and is a well-known name?

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Why should he not think about himself at least some when the team is sending a message to him that they are lukewarm at best about him coming back.  They aren't loyal to him, why should he be to them?

I just don't get the point of the criticism is what I am saying.

Again, that means he has his own personal interests in mind rather than the team. I'm not making any opinion in whether he's right or not, just that you can't argue the fact he's thinking about himself vs the team's best interest.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I apologize for the “B.S.” remark, which was unnecessary.

Here’s my point: a team leader’s obligations don’t extend to leaving the team.    A player, to be a leader of the “team” (i.e., the 25 players in the locker room), doesn’t have to worry about the longer term interests of the “organization” if it involves him no longer being part of that organization.   He has no reason to care about an organization that he’s not part of, even if he used to be part of it.    His obligations extend to the guys he plays with, while he’s playing with them.    

I never said Jones wasn't a team leader or that his actions would somehow change that fact with his teammates. I never said that Jones had an obligation to help out the organization by allowing himself to be traded. I merely stated that his reasons for not waiving his no trade clause was based in what was best for him and not based on what was best for the organization. I'm not how that can be debated honestly.

As I've said multiple times, I respect the fact that Jones had a contractual right to refuse to be traded and respect his decision to not waive those rights. However, this is little doubt that decision was based on what was best for Adam Jones personally and not what was best for the Baltimore Orioles.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I never said Jones wasn't a team leader or that his actions would somehow change that fact with his teammates. I never said that Jones had an obligation to help out the organization by allowing himself to be traded. I merely stated that his reasons for not waiving his no trade clause was based in what was best for him and not based on what was best for the organization. I'm not how that can be debated honestly.

As I've said multiple times, I respect the fact that Jones had a contractual right to refuse to be traded and respect his decision to not waive those rights. However, this is little doubt that decision was based on what was best for Adam Jones personally and not what was best for the Baltimore Orioles.

You’re right, you didn’t say “team leader,” you said “team player.”   But IMO my point still stands: being a “team player” doesn’t entail agreeing to be traded off the team.     Because then it’s not your team.    And certainly I agree with you that Jones put his own interests over the long term interests of the organization.    But to me that doesn’t undercut his status as a “team player.”

Now, back to the thread topic, if Jones, while on the team, were to do something to impede the O’s from calling up Mullins and playing him in CF, I would consider that not being a team player.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right, you didn’t say “team leader,” you said “team player.”   But IMO my point still stands: being a “team player” doesn’t entail agreeing to be traded off the team.     Because then it’s not your team.    And certainly I agree with you that Jones put his own interests over the long term interests of the organization.    But to me that doesn’t undercut his status as a “team player.”

Now, back to the thread topic, if Jones, while on the team, were to do something to impede the O’s from calling up Mullins and playing him in CF, I would consider that not being a team player.   

Hey bud, I went back and looked and don't see where I said he wasn't a team player or team leader. I certainly never said that Jones isn't about helping the team in his day in and day out activities, just that this decision to not waive his no trade clause was for his own personal interests, and not the team. 

I think every day Jones goes out and tries his best to help the team win. 

As for Mullins, I have no insights on whether Jones is refusing to move from center of not or whether that is holding up Mullins. Right now the guy is sick so that's the single biggest reason he's not being promoted.  The fact that Jones is doing early work in right field certainly suggests two things: 1) Mullins will be up soon and the Orioles have told him he's moving to RF when that happens 2) Even Jones knows his value on the open market this offseason will be improved if he can show that he can play an effective RF. Maybe even increase his chances of returning to Baltimore next year.

Archived