Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?

Frobby

Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the better contract this winter?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand why you guys would think Jones goes to SD but if we've learned one thing about him this year, he wants to be close to this area for his wife, kids, charity.  SD makes sense for Jones cause he grew up there but if he doesn't wanna get traded out of Baltimore for those reasons he mentioned earlier this year, I don't see him going to a west coast team.

In the end he'll take the highest offer.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m curious whether people think Adam Jones or Nick Markakis will get the better contract this winter.   A few points to consider:

1.   Nick is nearly two years older than Adam.

2.   Nick is having a career year, while Adam is having a subpar one.

3.   However, if you look back further than 2018, Adam has usually been the better hitter.

4.   Nick is a known quantity in RF.   We’re still waiting to see how Adam adjusts to playing a corner.   

5.   Nick has been the more durable of the two.

6.   Nick is by far the more patient hitter and is probably less dependent on bat speed and thus less vulnerable to a decline based on bat speed.    

7.   Nick’s current team might want him back, whereas Adam’s probably doesn’t.    

So, what say you?    Who gets the better deal this winter?

I voted Jones. 

The DuVall acquisition muddies the Atlanta water a bit.

What about a 21-10 reunion in Cleveland?  Brantley's a free agent, and the Indians will be bargain shopping as their core players get pricier.  If he's healed, Zimmer has good CF range.

I vote Nick on the contract.  Hit is the premier carrying tool for the mid-30's set.

Teams are smarter these days about free agent contracts. 10-15 years ago maybe Jones gets 12 mil a year based on name recognition from some GM like Jim Bowden. Think he'll get two years for a modest amount per, something in the 6-9 range.

With OBP so appreciated and hard to get, in addition to having a monster year this year, could see Markakis getting 10 per for a couple years maybe an option year tacked on.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I see both players in the 2/15-2/20 range. 

Good signs for a team with an opening in RF.  Low risk.  

Nick probably gets paid a little more than Adam coming off the better year.  .380 OBP's don't grow on trees. 

Adam doesn't have the arm for RF. The Mets hit two triples to right on Wednesday that would have been doubles with a real right fielder.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Adam doesn't have the arm for RF. The Mets hit two triples to right on Wednesday that would have been doubles with a real right fielder.

This is the first I've heard of that. 

I haven't watched very many games this year, but Adam's had one of the stronger OF arms in baseball over the last decade.  Unless his arm strength has dramatically fallen this season I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This is the first I've heard of that. 

I haven't watched very many games this year, but Adam's had one of the stronger OF arms in baseball over the last decade.  Unless his arm strength has dramatically fallen this season I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  

Per Fangraphs, his arm has been below average each of the last three seasons. I may be wrong, but I think it is LF and CF in a pinch for him.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m curious whether people think Adam Jones or Nick Markakis will get the better contract this winter.   A few points to consider:

1.   Nick is nearly two years older than Adam.

2.   Nick is having a career year, while Adam is having a subpar one.

3.   However, if you look back further than 2018, Adam has usually been the better hitter.

4.   Nick is a known quantity in RF.   We’re still waiting to see how Adam adjusts to playing a corner.   

5.   Nick has been the more durable of the two.

6.   Nick is by far the more patient hitter and is probably less dependent on bat speed and thus less vulnerable to a decline based on bat speed.    

7.   Nick’s current team might want him back, whereas Adam’s probably doesn’t.    

So, what say you?    Who gets the better deal this winter?

Total contact or annual average?

Nick Markakis is known for his ability to get on base.  He has a .380 OBP this year, and the worst OBP he ever had was .329.  On the other hand, the best OBP Adam Jones ever had was .335.  To top it off, Markakis leads the NL in hits, which is a pretty stunning achievement at any age.

Clearly, next to Markakis, Adam Jones is known for other things than getting on base; but I think in this case the higher OBP and the extraordinary number of hits probably leads to an older player get a better contract than the little bit younger player.  

Jones' skill set may be perceived to be more in decline than it really is, while with Markakis this is clearly not the case.  It all depends on whether teams think Markakis discovered something in his swing and made an adjustment -- or whether he just had an unusually lucky season.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand why you guys would think Jones goes to SD but if we've learned one thing about him this year, he wants to be close to this area for his wife, kids, charity.  SD makes sense for Jones cause he grew up there but if he doesn't wanna get traded out of Baltimore for those reasons he mentioned earlier this year, I don't see him going to a west coast team.

I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison. One is mid season with little time to adjust  and the other allows him months to get situated.

Story goes he didn’t go to Philly because he doesn’t view himself as a backup, which is fair. Don’t want to discount those reasons he mentioned but I think in the off-season he will reconsider.