Luke Scott to the Mets?

Baltimore_Bob

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mets have enough to get Luke Scott. He's a decent player who could probably attract two decent prospects.

Who do you have in mind? They have a LHP Niese who's interesting. But I'd expect more than that. I doubt they give up Martinez after trading away Milledge and Gomez. It'd be great if they had an above average SS prospect, but they don't.

Why would you trade a successful MLB player for 2 prospects that may not even make it to the ML much less become as successful as Scott. As far as I know the Mets don't have any premier prospects.

Fernando Martinez is regarded as their best. His 2008 numbers aren't eye-popping but not bad for a 19-year old in AA. I'm fairly certain they won't trade him for Scott.

Anytime you trade a proven player for prospects you're making a gamble, but trades like that are made all the time.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Wilmer%20Flores&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=527038

For example, here's a guy (who admittedly I had never heard before five minutes ago) who could be of interest. I don't believe the argument they don't have enough to trade for someone of Scott's caliber. I am not trying to degrade Scott, who has been everything we could've asked for. Just saying something could be worked out if the Mets are truly interested.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Wilmer%20Flores&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=527038

For example, here's a guy (who admittedly I had never heard before five minutes ago) who could be of interest. I don't believe the argument they don't have enough to trade for someone of Scott's caliber. I am not trying to degrade Scott, who has been everything we could've asked for. Just saying something could be worked out if the Mets are truly interested.

Here's what BP had to say about him this March:

Wilmer Flores, SS

DOB: 8/6/91

Height/Weight: 6-3/175

Bats/Throws: R/R

Acquired: NDFA, 2007, Venezuela

2007 Stats: Did not play

Year In Review: One of the top international prospects this summer, Flores signed with the Mets for $700,000.

The Good: Flores has a huge frame and the potential for plus-plus raw power to go with the hitting skills to make consistent hard contact. Defensively, he has soft hands and an above-average arm. He's an average runner.

The Bad: Flores will almost certainly outgrow shortstop, as he's already big, just 17 years old, and has a thick lower half. Looking forward, he has the hands and arm to profile well at the hot corner.

Fun Fact: Flores was born on the same day that English scientist Tim Berners-Lee first released papers describing his idea for the World Wide Web.

Perfect World Projection: Flores has impact potential with the bat, but with an optimistic MLB ETA of 2011-12, there's still a long way between the current and the potential future.

Timetable: The Mets have no expectations for Flores in 2008 beyond him getting acclimated to professional baseball and getting some at-bats in the Gulf Coast League.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7114

Fernando Martinez is regarded as their best. His 2008 numbers aren't eye-popping but not bad for a 19-year old in AA. I'm fairly certain they won't trade him for Scott.

Anytime you trade a proven player for prospects you're making a gamble, but trades like that are made all the time.

You'd need 2 guys like Martinez to even start the conversation.

Thanks for the info. I'm not suggesting the Mets would trade this guy for Scott. I'm just trying to point out they do have enough in their system, even though it's not that great of a farm system especially after the Santana trade.

That's one opinion. I don't think they have enough (in the farm system anyway).

Here's what BP had to say about him this March:

Wilmer Flores, SS

DOB: 8/6/91

Height/Weight: 6-3/175

Bats/Throws: R/R

Acquired: NDFA, 2007, Venezuela

2007 Stats: Did not play

Year In Review: One of the top international prospects this summer, Flores signed with the Mets for $700,000.

The Good: Flores has a huge frame and the potential for plus-plus raw power to go with the hitting skills to make consistent hard contact. Defensively, he has soft hands and an above-average arm. He's an average runner.

The Bad: Flores will almost certainly outgrow shortstop, as he's already big, just 17 years old, and has a thick lower half. Looking forward, he has the hands and arm to profile well at the hot corner.

Fun Fact: Flores was born on the same day that English scientist Tim Berners-Lee first released papers describing his idea for the World Wide Web.

Perfect World Projection: Flores has impact potential with the bat, but with an optimistic MLB ETA of 2011-12, there's still a long way between the current and the potential future.

Timetable: The Mets have no expectations for Flores in 2008 beyond him getting acclimated to professional baseball and getting some at-bats in the Gulf Coast League.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7114

Good post.

The bad concerns me. Flores, Carp, and Niese as a starting point? Would that be fair? (I'm not all that interested in trading Scott, by the way, I'm more interested in seeing what he could get in return)

There's no way IMHO that the Mets, in a pennant race, would trade one of their starting pitchers unless they got a star back. Luke Scott is a good, solid player, but not a star. Why would they want Cabrera anyway. They have a big enough headache with the enigmatic Perez.

Archived