Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

Just now, eddie83 said:

So they added slot money to make trades look better? The slots have a value of zero if they aren’t spent or traded for a player. 

I’m waiting for someone to insinuate that this trade has cost them VVM. 

To me the question is why are you trading $750,000 of your allotment for a 9th round pick who was a senior sign that is playing in the GCL and is 3 years older than the average GCL player (and much older than any legitimate GCL prospect)? I’d honestly rather see the organization not spend their allotment than trade it for a guy who might get cut in spring training next year. I never expected them to spend all of the slot money that they acquired, or even a significant chunk of it without signing VVM, but as I mentioned above, the optics are poor, and as @Moose Milligan better said, this looks really dumb.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

To me the question is why are you trading $750,000 of your allotment for a 9th round pick who was a senior sign that is playing in the GCL and is 3 years older than the average GCL player (and much older than any legitimate GCL prospect)? I’d honestly rather see the organization not spend their allotment than trade it for a guy who might get cut in spring training next year. I never expected them to spend all of the slot money that they acquired, or even a significant chunk of it without signing VVM, but as I mentioned above, the optics are poor, and as @Moose Milligan better said, this looks really dumb.

I assume they some potential in Zoellner.     Not a lot, at that price, but some.    Otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered.   But what they see in him is a bit of a mystery.

16 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Anyone have a 27 year old high A ball pitcher with a 5 ERA?  The O's will give you $500,000 of international money for him... or her.  

It's not a good sign when... the O's actually did worse than I joked about them doing.  :ohlord:

...or when I quote myself.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We didn’t give up $750 k.    We gave up the right to spend $750 k.   Big difference.    Even so, the move makes little sense to me.

I honestly have nothing here. I can not think of a single reason why the Orioles would do this since they supposedly were acquiring money for signings. Even if they have some kind of behind the scenes agreement with VVM, why would you just give away 750K and not use it to sign a 3 more 250K types?

This whole situation is mind-boggling but then I realize we are talking the Orioles organization. Nothing should ever be mind-boggling.

The only explanation I can come up with here is that the O's know they have extra pool money available after all of the guys they want to sign (aka deals are in place with VVM etc).  The Phillies are competing for talent with the likes of Yanks and Sox that we are not in on and we are playing keep away.

This seems like a big stretch, but only thing that makes any sense.

14 hours ago, weams said:

Again, I have to remind myself and everyone else. This is not money. It is the opportunity to spend some money if you have something you want to buy. It's like a license. 

Imagine if the NFL started allowing teams to trade salary cap space... whew.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I assume they some potential in Zoellner.     Not a lot, at that price, but some.    Otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered.   But what they see in him is a bit of a mystery.

Even if they do it is no reason to overpay.

If you are shopping and something costs 50 bucks and you think it is worth a thousand do you offer them the thousand?

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly have nothing here. I can not think of a single reason why the Orioles would do this since they supposedly were acquiring money for signings. Even if they have some kind of behind the scenes agreement with VVM, why would you just give away 750K and not use it to sign a 3 more 250K types?

This whole situation is mind-boggling but then I realize we are talking the Orioles organization. Nothing should ever be mind-boggling.

Yes...or even 7 more 100K types.   This deal smells pretty rotten.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I assume this is $750 k in allotments that we’ve determined we weren’t going to spend.   We probably have more allotments than we expect to spend even if we get VVM and whoever else we have targeted.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if they do it is no reason to overpay.

If you are shopping and something costs 50 bucks and you think it is worth a thousand do you offer them the thousand?

Pretty bad analogy.    This is more like if you have a coupon for a store and you know you can’t get to that store before the coupon expires, so you give it to your friend in exchange for a three-day old burrito he had in his refrigerator.   

Archived