Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

They are flipping the money to the Mets for Bautista. Not sure how much that would give the Mets, but their fan base also has visions of VVM. I would bet they end up with Gaston though. 

Maybe they were not being forthright, but Phillies were saying this money was going to sign players.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

It makes the team looks clueless if you ignore how the business is run.

The got more signing bonus money and they still have a whole lot more than other teams have to offer.

This deal does absolutely nothing to impact any potential Mesa deal.

It simply is bad optics for people who are unfamiliar with this part of the industry.

They gave away Brach for $250K in pool money and acquired this guy for $750K in pool money. If you think that is a solid, cogent plan, I don't know what to tell you.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They gave away Brach for $250K in pool money and acquired this guy for $750K in pool money. If you think that is a solid, cogent plan, I don't know what to tell you.

I know for a fact several teams when the Orioles asked them about Brach said they would not be interested in giving anything for him. RHRP with unspectacular performances are worth incredibly little.

48 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

They are likely signing guys they value in the 100-300k range who are likely guys other teams think are worth far less than that.

We you sign an amateur for 200k, you are signing someone else's 50k guy. Not always, but that is often the case.

We will see.

32 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

The got more signing bonus money and they still have a whole lot more than other teams have to offer.

It simply is bad optics for people who are unfamiliar with this part of the industry.

Just like the Orioles!!!! :)

41 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

To be as fair as fair can be, given that this trade looks paint-sniffingly stupid, Brach's salary factors into what you've pointed out.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if they do it is no reason to overpay.

If you are shopping and something costs 50 bucks and you think it is worth a thousand do you offer them the thousand?

I assume that Mesa wants all the Orioles can spend. Now they can spend less. As can all other teams. 

54 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pool Space. Not money. Pool space. 

1 hour ago, jsbearr said:

If Oscar Meyer is short on bologna, they can find some there.  Part of the justification of the Gausman trade was acquiring 2.5 million of international slot space.  Now, they've apparently traded away 30% of that for a 23 year old rookie ball 1st baseman hitting in the .230's.  This is bad optics for anyone familiar with the industry that also has common sense.       

13 minutes ago, Burg said:

I have been so much happier since I became a Braves fan.

This organization is the definition of stupid.

I second that emotion - being a Braves and O's fan since I was a little kid idolizing Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson.  But it took a lot of lean years for the Braves to get where they are.  

17 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I pick the later.

Ever the pessimist... You insisted the club would never trade Machado in countless posts from May through July. I think I will go with "Victor and the Orioles have agreed to a deal," if your past prognostications are any indication. ;- )

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If Oscar Meyer is short on bologna, they can find some there.  Part of the justification of the Gausman trade was acquiring 2.5 million of international slot space.  Now, they've apparently traded away 30% of that for a 23 year old rookie ball 1st baseman hitting in the .230's.  This is bad optics for anyone familiar with the industry that also has common sense.       

So they use 250K of 8.5M.

Not sure thats worth getting worked up about.

Archived