Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

Just now, Ruzious said:

Justification for trading Gausman was in part getting 2.5 million of international slot money.  Not making use of theat would be an organizational failure.  

So VM has not been declared a free agent, and he isn't signed anywhere.

So we wait and see.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

To keep the Yankees from competing for Victor at that exact time slice. Exact. Time. Slice. Done. 

You are the one not making sense. Me, I am just speculating. 

Wow, there is definitely a logic gap between us.  Maybe we're fans for different reasons.  My reason is because I want the O's to succeed.  I could give a flying bleep as to what the Yankees do.  Right now and the next few years, we're not competing with the Yankees.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Wow, there is definitely a logic gap between us.  Maybe we're fans for different reasons.  My reason is because I want the O's to succeed.  I could give a flying bleep as to what the Yankees do.  Right now and the next few years, we're not competing with the Yankees.  

No, we are on the same team. The Orioles are not spending money for a couple years. I don't love that. I accept that. 

Just like this offseason. We are not buying ANY TALENT.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

So VM has not been declared a free agent, and he isn't signed anywhere.

So we wait and see.

That's what I said in the first place!  If they do sign VVM, that changes everything.  But I have to see that before I'll believe it.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I believe that the Orioles have a deal with Victor Victor. I believe the Orioles will give away other international slot space for pennies on the dollar.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

That's what I said in the first place!  If they do sign VVM, that changes everything.  But I have to see that before I'll believe it.  

But, you also said, it would be an organization failure if they don't sign him.

I dont think you can blame the org, until it was their fault, he didnt sign, like not returning a call, or something stupid like that.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I will try to be more logical. At the time, it appeared that the Yankees were in a position to compete for Victor Victor. The massing of our Army at the front told them to forget about it. Which they did. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Justification for Gausman was saving the money. Of him and O'Day. Money. Not playas.

Gausman's performance is worth more money than he's getting paid - so saying a reason for the trade was saving Gausman's salary makes no sense.  O'Day's salary is why the payment in prospects was so low.  But part of the justification for the trade - as explained by Duquette - was to get the international slot money.  

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

This is simply not true.  We may not be competing with the Yankees or Red Sox for first place in the AL East, but that doesn't mean that we aren't competing for them in other areas.  One of those areas is international free agents now that we are playing in that arena.  Another may be for both major and minor league coaches and scouts.  Another might be minor league free agents who won't have a major impact but could provide depth and play roles at various points during a season.  There are lots of areas were we compete with every other team, including the Yankees.

Just now, Ruzious said:

Gausman's performance is worth more money than he's getting paid - so saying a reason for the trade was saving Gausman's salary makes no sense.  O'Day's salary is why the payment in prospects was so low.  But part of the justification for the trade - as explained by Duquette - was to get the international slot money.  

I think it was both, salary dump and slot money. IMO

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

See, I'm a big Gausman fan. Paid next year for a losing team. Trading him when he was trending up. Not when he was down like he will be next spring Like he always in in the early season. I like the players that we got for him. I am glad they got rid of O'Day, his 40 man roster spot and his income. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - August 28, 2018

ENCARNACION, JARRETT NAMED POSTSEASON ALL-STARS
Encarnacion named SAL’s top third baseman, Jarrett utility outfielder

CLEARWATER, FL - Recognized for their months-long excellence, Delmarva Shorebirds third baseman Jean Carlos Encarnacion and outfielder Zach Jarrett have been named to the South Atlantic League Postseason All-Star Team, announced by the league office on Tuesday. Encarnacion was tabbed the league’s top third baseman, while Jarrett made it as utility outfielder.

Jarrett, a 23-year-old prospect from Hickory, N.C., is batting .276 this season with 14 home runs, 67 RBIs, and a .785 OPS. One of the iron men of the Sally League, he ranks top-five in the SAL in games played (122), hits (130), at-bats (471), total bases (209), and runs scored (72). He leads the Shorebirds in all of those categories and has mashed a team-best 45 extra-base hits to boot.

Jarrett introduced himself to Delmarva in a big way during his season debut on April 6 against Asheville, making a leaping catch against the wall in left to rob fellow Postseason All-Star Bret Boswell of a home run, and clubbing a homer of his own in his first at-bat. That kick-started a scintillating that ended with Jarrett being named Orioles Minor League co-Player of the Month. The exclamation point came on April 26 when he hit a two-out, two-run walkoff home run to beat Kannapolis.

One of the Shorebirds’ four Midseason All-Stars, Jarrett closed the first half batting .406 with a 1.021 OPS over the final 17 games before the break. He kept up the pace in the second half, slashing .356/.411/.495 in the month of June.

Big moments seemed to find Jarrett in large doses. On July 20 against Greensboro, he came to bat with the game tied 2-2 and the winning run at second with two out in the ninth. With the count 3-0, Jarrett attacked and broke his bat on a grounder that shot over third and into left, bringing in Mason McCoy with the winning run. In the Shorebirds’ next game to kick off a July 22 doubleheader, Jarrett did it again, lacing a single up the middle to bring Cadyn Grenier home from second and lift Delmarva to a stunning 4-3 win.

The Orioles drafted Jarrett out of the University of North Carolina Charlotte in the 28th round of the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft. His signing scout was Rich Morales.

Encarnacion, a 20-year-old prospect from San Juan de la Maguana, D.R., was already a big name in the Sally League when he came to the Shorebirds from the Rome Braves on August 3. Through 118 games, including 21 with Delmarva, he is batting .283 with 26 doubles, seven triples, 12 home runs, and 64 RBIs, good for 45 extra-base hits and a .761 OPS. Encarnacion ranks top-five in the league in average, hits (125), and total bases (201).

In his team debut on August 3, Encarnacion didn’t miss a step, going 2-for-4 with a double; the next day he went 2-for-5 with a double, triple, and two runs scored, including the game-winner in the bottom of the 10th. In his first game back in Rome on August 7, Encarnacion tagged three hits, scoring one run and driving in another. He pounded his first Shorebird home run in an August 11 game at Columbia.

Named the Orioles’ No. 15 prospect when he arrived in the system, Encarnacion showed off his blunt force in the Shorebirds’ August 17 showdown against Charleston. Down 2-0 in the bottom of the eighth, Encarnacion came to bat with two on and one out. He then obliterated a 3-1 pitch down the left field line and out of Perdue Stadium. The three-run home run registered at 109 miles per hour off the bat and landed 434 feet away from home plate. Encarnacion’s blast ignited a big Delmarva inning on the way to a 4-2 win.

The Braves signed Encarnacion as an international free-agent on May 10, 2016. This past July 31, he was included in a six-player deal; the Orioles traded pitchers Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day to Atlanta in exchange for Encarnacion and three other prospects.

The SAL Postseason All-Star Team was voted on by the 14 teams’ field managers, coaches, general managers, writers, and broadcasters. Asheville outfielder Casey Golden was named league MVP for the 2018 season, while Greenville southpaw Denyi Reyes earned Most Outstanding Pitcher, and West Virginia shortstop Oneil Cruz was tabbed as Most Outstanding MLB Prospect. Lakewood’s Marty Malloy was named Manager of the Year; his pitching coach Brad Bergesen took home Coach of the Year.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is simply not true.  We may not be competing with the Yankees or Red Sox for first place in the AL East, but that doesn't mean that we aren't competing for them in other areas.  One of those areas is international free agents now that we are playing in that arena.  Another may be for both major and minor league coaches and scouts.  Another might be minor league free agents who won't have a major impact but could provide depth and play roles at various points during a season.  There are lots of areas were we compete with every other team, including the Yankees.

That's really not what I was referring to.  I agree with you on those points.  My point was we don't use assets just to block the Yankees from going after a player.  

Archived