Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

All of those who see this stuff as some carefully thought out, Duquettian master plan...and us fans out here just need to be calm and trust that all of this is part of the plan, carefully constructed...well, let’s just say, I ain’t buying it.  What I will buy is results.  

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weams said:

We do not know enough about this all yet. We are all just speculating, good or bad. We have NO INFORMATION.

We have the current info that 750k in potential international pool money was traded for a 24 yo player that appears to have limited upside and a GM that is now saying they traded for this money to get players this way.  

I know you also dont like this deal and are trying to see a bright side, but I see some info that bothers me quite a bit.

6 hours ago, weams said:

I remember the trade with Atlanta when we got back a pitcher that you knew would never get out of AA. I went and watched him twice hoping he would look like something. A hidden talent. It was a salary dump deal for Matusz.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/orioles-trade-brian-matusz.html

In a weird twist of fate, the Os traded Gausman and Oday to the Braves this year and in return they received Brett Cumberland, among others. The very same guy that the Braves drafted with the pick they got from the Os from the Matusz trade. Coincidence?

5 hours ago, jerios55 said:

We have the current info that 750k in potential international pool money was traded for a 24 yo player that appears to have limited upside and a GM that is now saying they traded for this money to get players this way.  

I know you also dont like this deal and are trying to see a bright side, but I see some info that bothers me quite a bit.

Not you are right. I am not for it. I see no bright side. I do see a neutral side. 

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Seems like someone is thinking if they shill so much for Orioles management horrible moves they will have a chance of writing for MASN one day

[edited].

Let me rephrase that, please refrain from personally insulting me and my writing. Disagree with the idea and establish that instead of trying to insult me.

And, I have written for MASN.

I actually had a piece censored by MASN, which I eventually ran at ESPN.

8 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

They had scouted the guy as the potential return in the trade Adam Jones rejected. They still wanted the guy so they traded the allotment instead.

Does anyone have any ideas why they wanted the guy? Some super scouting must be involved. He was drafted in 2017 after completing his senior year in college. Signed for 10k. Hurt his hand his senior year and missed some playing time. It's weird to me that they would even scout this guy, much less want him. 

In the grand scheme of things, I tend to agree with Frobby, Weams and jsbearr here.  But the other side does have a point.  While this move is really nothing in the overall in terms of the rebuild.  It is very hard to make sense of the moving of the right to spend $750k.  I would agree with Can of Corn that I would rather see that right expire unused than give any portion away without getting something for it.

At the very least, it is poor optics and that is not ideal given the "news" that the Orioles are changing how they do things.  But I would still say, overall, let's see how the rest of this season plays out.  There is a tremendous amount of work to do and there will be pain ahead. It will take many successful moves to right this ship.  This one was never going to do it...but it wont stop it either. 

Here's the asinine thing here. Why acquire this money by trading talent if it's going to be used to essentially not help the major league club? This caterwauling by Duquette is utter nonsense. A backpedal if you will. 

Basically you've reduced the value of talent received back in these trades...and now you're essentially give it away.

The rough equivalent I have here is keeping Matusz on the roster to start the season and then packaging him up with a draft pick for salary relief. It's terrible roster and payroll management and we've seen it time and time again with Duquette. Remember Ryan Webb? Webb was signed to a 2 year deal by....wait for it...Dan Duquette. And then in the second year of his deal, he was given away (along with a draft pick).

These trades are headscratchers...and honestly it's these death by a thousand cuts that continue to show why the Orioles have such a poorly managed minor and major roster.

21 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Why acquire this money by trading talent if it's going to be used to essentially not help the major league club?

The only thing that really makes sense is blocking Atlanta from trading that 2.5 million to Miami or New York, which maybe puts them in position to land VVM.

20 hours ago, wildcard said:

You missed the point completely.  Gausman was worth a lot to the O's because with 2+ years left he was a good trade chip.    Instead of getting a top 100 prospect in return either at the deadline or this off season, they turned him into a salary dump by packaging him with O'Day.   They got salary relief, a several suspects, an international trade slot money that they apparent don't need and can't spend.   They already had 5.75m in slot money.  

If the O's are rebuilding the hardest thing to accumulate in high value prospects.   They got none in the Gausman trade.  Gausman had value to the O's as a trade chip but they made a stupid trade instead.  

I don't know whether the trade was "stupid" or not, but I agree with you that the Orioles ended up getting much less in return because they packaged O'day with him. I would have much rather gotten a high value/ceiling prospect back for Gausman with 2 1/2 years of controllability.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Our margin was always significantly larger than the Yankees.

What I don't understand is even if we are not planning to use the 750K what advantage is it to trade it now?  The slot position is good until next July.  What if another Cuban comes over in January?  What if something odd happens in one of the Asian leagues?  What if some kid in the Dominican hits a growth spurt and starts throwing 4 MPH faster?

You have to admit the guy they traded for is as close to nothing as you can get.

Old- Check

No draft pedigree- Check

Didn't excel at his level- Check

Has repeated a level- Check

Has no defensive value- Check

Frankly I would have rather they thrown the slots away next July than use them in such a manner.

Nothing to argue with here. There has to be more to the story here. It's just very strange to basically give 750K of space away when you don't know who might show up between now and next year.

Archived