Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know whether the trade was "stupid" or not, but I agree with you that the Orioles ended up getting much less in return because they packaged O'day with him. I would have much rather gotten a high value/ceiling prospect back for Gausman with 2 1/2 years of controllability.

Hard for us to analyze this trade, without knowing the true reason for the trade. If DD was ordered to cut salary, and at the same accomplish some other goals, then maybe this was the best he could do. I agree with what you said the other day, the speed of this trade was amazing, coming off the heels of the other trades.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Chances are good that I’ll have forgotten Zoellner exists by next June, and/or will have forgotten how we acquired him.    

I've never seen nor heard of Zoellner before this deal so I will say this. Either the Orioles have found some amazing scouting technique that allows them to see what Zoellner will turn into, or they don't look at age vs level vs stats at all. 

Also, if Duquette really believes that a walk total in the Gulf Coast League by a nearly 24-year old first base means he has good plate discipline then I'm going to have to seriously question the wisdom of that answer. The guy has struck out 48 times in 229 PAs and batted .240 against glorified high school level professional pitchers. 

He plays a position with no real defensive value or need and if this guy ever makes it to AA I'll be surprised. Either the Phillies have for some reason completely misjudged this guy (Joe Jordan is the Farm Director and let's just say he doesn't under value guys too often), or Duqette is just blowing smoke up our butts and expecting us to buy it.

I'm not buying it.

Again, this move probably doesn't mean a ton and if they sign VVM I really don't care what they do with the rest of their money (though it would be nice to have some around in case someone comes out of the woodwork), but don't act like they got themselves a top prospect.

Honestly this assessment makes me concerned over the hitters we got in trades if the same people were making these scouting reports.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've never seen nor heard of Zoellner before this deal so I will say this. Either the Orioles have found some amazing scouting technique that allows them to see what Zoellner will turn into, or they don't look at age vs level vs stats at all. 

Also, if Duquette really believes that a walk total in the Gulf Coast League by a nearly 24-year old first base means he has good plate discipline then I'm going to have to seriously question the wisdom of that answer. The guy has struck out 48 times in 229 PAs and batted .240 against glorified high school level professional pitchers. 

He plays a position with no real defensive value or need and if this guy ever makes it to AA I'll be surprised. Either the Phillies have for some reason completely misjudged this guy (Joe Jordan is the Farm Director and let's just say he doesn't under value guys too often), or Duqette is just blowing smoke up our butts and expecting us to buy it.

I'm not buying it.

Again, this move probably doesn't mean a ton and if they sign VVM I really don't care what they do with the rest of their money (though it would be nice to have some around in case someone comes out of the woodwork), but don't act like they got themselves a top prospect.

Honestly this assessment makes me concerned over the hitters we got in trades if the same people were making these scouting reports.

I suspect this was the guy or one of them they were looking to get for Jones.  When Jones was a dead deal, Phillies knew of the interest and engaged DD.  DD jumped on it thinking he isn't going to be able to spend all the money anyhow.  Agree if we get VVM and spend all our money, this doesn't matter to me.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It is this thought that makes me wonder if there is not something else here....Thank you to the Phillies for trying to take Jones....Promise to claim someone on waivers for a block...something.

I dont think DD cares one iota about saying something to the media that is a bunch of horse manure...but the love for this guy is enough to make even the most loyal fan, chuckle.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing to argue with here. There has to be more to the story here. It's just very strange to basically give 750K of space away when you don't know who might show up between now and next year.

Yeah didn't DD say that at one point?  That last year Shohei Ohtani showed up and almost everyone was out of money and it is good to have extra money in such situations.  Now it is better to use the money on 24 year olds struggling in the GCL. 

3 hours ago, jsbearr said:

[edited].

Let me rephrase that, please refrain from personally insulting me and my writing. Disagree with the idea and establish that instead of trying to insult me.

And, I have written for MASN.

I actually had a piece censored by MASN, which I eventually ran at ESPN.

I didn't insult you.  You insulted yourself when you wrote the article.  It was basically a whatever they do must be right. Who am I to question them.  Well you are supposedly a journalist so that is your job.  Came off as propaganda for the Orioles.   I get why Roch does that not sure why someone on Camden Chat would.  

31 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah didn't DD say that at one point?  That last year Shohei Ohtani showed up and almost everyone was out of money and it is good to have extra money in such situations.  Now it is better to use the money on 24 year olds struggling in the GCL. 

I think we have ample evidence that Ohtani didn't care about the money.

At this point when Duquette comes out saying nonsense, and using justifications for the nonsense that contradict other things he's said............... I have to assume someone else is pulling the strings.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if ownership or Brady played a role in this......but it might take some real digging to find the connection.

43 minutes ago, Aglets said:

At this point when Duquette comes out saying nonsense, and using justifications for the nonsense that contradict other things he's said............... I have to assume someone else is pulling the strings.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if ownership or Brady played a role in this......but it might take some real digging to find the connection.

They may have.

14 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

I'm so ready for a change from the top down. We are the worst team in baseball, and I'm not seeing anyone held accountable.

The line DD gave about getting into the international market and the trades made me believe that John and Lou would be better than their dad. Now I am wondering what the hell is going on? Makes me wonder if Peter but Brady in charge? I had wanted DD back but now I'm thinking the best thing is clean house top to bottom. What a screwed up organization.

21 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Same Duquette, different day.    The old man did not make this call.   Dan worries more about the media spin of his dumpster diving choices that gets out there and cozying up to fellow GMs, like Philly, etc.  than actually doing the job while no doubt continuing to carefully consider his options for his next gig, imho.    I am done with having him as the architect for the rebuild.  Next.  

20 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Kind of agree with you.

I get it, but insert same "organization."  We know who's in charge.  Do either of you really think that Dumpster Dan can do anything without some "other" approval?!  Especially now.  All I'm saying is that this is an organization that has a "seat of the pants" management style.  It never works out well.

Although, there are later comments after ours that argue that this is some kind of precursor or "MLB Back Scratching" to some other more significant move.  Let's see. 

I maintain that the whole system under "the family" is dysfunctional and clueless.  I hope I'm wrong.

Archived