Orioles Spend 250k of their International Money ( Report that it was $750k)

weams

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not defending this move. I can’t see the reason for it. But Other than raising an eyebrow, in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn’t seem to warrant much worry. 

IF we sign VVM we got the guy we targeted. 

IF he is not coming here, we have a pile of international allotment that is doing nothing. 

I’d like to think we know what it will take or if he will sign. 

But it’s certainly fair to wonder if we have really changed at all in this regard. 

I don’t have any idea. But I am under the impression that a rebuild is underway and the first part of that is to lower salary. That part of the “new” Orioles is seemingly on track. 

As to if we really have a plan and someone to run it. Who knows. 

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Sure but we SHOULD know that already....but of course....

I'm pretty sure they have an idea. I mean, if they had 8.75M dollars and the Marlins have 5M, I have a hard time believing that he's going to say you should have paid me the 8.75M, so now I'm going to sign with the Marlins for several millions less. The over-reaction in this thread is comical.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I didn't insult you.  You insulted yourself when you wrote the article.  It was basically a whatever they do must be right. Who am I to question them.  Well you are supposedly a journalist so that is your job.  Came off as propaganda for the Orioles.   I get why Roch does that not sure why someone on Camden Chat would.  

What article were you reading? The one that literally ends with the statement, "the organization is still a mess"?

If you disagree with the article, that's fine. But he at least presented a case to defend his position, which is more than you did. Next time, give a cogent, reasonable counterargument instead of just hurling insults at the writer. That's just classless trolling.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure they have an idea. I mean, if they had 8.75M dollars and the Marlins have 5M, I have a hard time believing that he's going to say you should have paid me the 8.75M, so now I'm going to sign with the Marlins for several millions less. The over-reaction in this thread is comical.

Well to most...that’s obvious. But trying to see the other side too. 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't if he wants 750K more than we can currently offer.

I honestly don't understand this statement. If we have millions more than the next closest team, which by all accounts we do, even after the silly money they just spent, are you suggesting that Mesa would say screw it, I'll just take 3M less from another team, or whatever? If the Orioles want to throw every dime at him, no team comes close. Even after dumping 750K for nothing.

If we miss him because he wouldn’t take 8mm he wasn’t coming here. That should be obvious to everyone. That said 750k for a 24 yr old who can replace Chris Davis is not very valuable. And deserves question. I just didn’t not think it should be a big deal. 

IF we sign VVM I’m happy that the Os are looking at the international market differently. If we don’t get him, we have the right to waste 8.5MM on anything else. 

Just now, foxfield said:

If we miss him because he wouldn’t take 8mm he wasn’t coming here. That should be obvious to everyone. That said 750k for a 24 yr old who can replace Chris Davis is not very valuable. And deserves question. I just didn’t not think it should be a big deal. 

IF we sign VVM I’m happy that the Os are looking at the international market differently. If we don’t get him, we have the right to waste 8.5MM on anything else. 

He won't replace Davis.  He won't hit AA.

He's a college senior that spent two years in the GCL.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

I honestly don't understand this statement. If we have millions more than the next closest team, which by all accounts we do, even after the silly money they just spent, are you suggesting that Mesa would say screw it, I'll just take 3M less from another team, or whatever? If the Orioles want to throw every dime at him, no team comes close. Even after dumping 750K for nothing.

You are taking me too literally.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He won't replace Davis.  He won't hit AA.

He's a college senior that spent two years in the GCL.

I keep seeing that on Twitter, that it was silly because he's blocked.

LOL at a worrying about a probable non-prospect in the GCL being blocked.

27 minutes ago, Malike said:

I haven't sen anyone suggest this means VVM is no longer an option (maybe a few...idk).

People are annoyed we're still using international money on crappy fillers.

13 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I haven't sen anyone suggest this means VVM is no longer an option (maybe a few...idk).

People are annoyed we're still using international money on crappy fillers.

There was a reason this deal was made. It was likely not done because they like the player, but there was a reason and who knows what it is. We can run up 100 pages speculating, though. It's what we do here. We get outraged without knowing facts and make 200 page threads.

Archived