Offense Observations After Boston Series

Old#5fan

BTW, I was wondering this too yesterday... Why was "boot the ball" Bynum in the lineup?? Wasn't he personally responsible for giving up the 2 runs? Fahey has actually been decent lately and I'm all for keeping him in the line up everyday at least until Cintron comes back and/or they acquire someone...

Thoughts?

Totally agree.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree.

I really, really just think that they decided to give Fahey a rest. I don't think it had anything to do with anything but that. Trust me when I tell you that I don't think Trembley has a ton of faith in Bynum right now. As soon as Cintron's back, Bynum's gone again.

I really, really just think that they decided to give Fahey a rest. I don't think it had anything to do with anything but that. Trust me when I tell you that I don't think Trembley has a ton of faith in Bynum right now. As soon as Cintron's back, Bynum's gone again.

That cannot be too soon. Bynum to me is painful to watch.

In 6 at bats, Nick hasn't done anything against Papelbon...Big surprise...I am sure he is the only top hitter who has issues against him. :rolleyes:

In 7 at bats vs Rivera, Nick has an OPS of 1.429.

Coming into this season, Nick had a career OPS of 824 vs Boston and 895 vs NY...The NY OPS is great and the Boston OPS is pretty solid when you consider how great their pitching has been. This year, Nick has an 840 OPS vs Boston and an 832 OPS vs NY.

Just thought I would blow a hole in some of these awful arguments against Nick in this thread.

I don't know why I get so surprised.

In 6 at bats, Nick hasn't done anything against Papelbon...Big surprise...I am sure he is the only top hitter who has issues against him. :rolleyes:

Coming into this season, Nick had a career OPS of 824 vs Boston and 895 vs NY...The NY OPS is great and the Boston OPS is pretty solid when you consider how great their pitching has been. This year, Nick has an 840 OPS vs Boston and an 832 OPS vs NY.

Just thought I would blow a hole in some of these awful arguments against Nick in this thread.

I don't, either. Figured you would've caught on by now. You've only been posting here since the dawn of time, man. :D

Markakis is a top hitter. He's the best hitter overall on the team (even if he's not the hottest bat right now... there's no way you're convincing me that overall, Huff is a better bat than Markakis). But there are plenty of guys that have problems with Papelbon. That's why his ERA and peripheral stats are so darn good. They wouldn't be as good if good hitters were touching him up regularly.

The fact that Nick's got such a high OPS against Rivera surprises me. I guess he knows how to hit a cutter. ;)

*cough*samplesize*cough*

Did he really need a rest with the all star break coming up. It was only one game and then he was gonna be off for three days anyway. Bynum probably played his way off the team yesterday anyway.

No surprise that he hasn't done squat against Papelbon as he looked totally overmatched which is surprising considering BR. Jones, and even Huff looked like Paplebon was very hittable. Even Mora at least hit the ball off him. However, your stats mean little to me as they don't distinguish what part of the game he was hitting (as in game on the line in late innings) or what spot in the lineup he was batting. He just seems not to hit so well in the three hole as he does batting second and I would assume the stats would support my observations on this.

No surprise that he hasn't done squat against Papelbon as he looked totally overmatched which is surprising considering BR. Jones, and even Huff looked like Paplebon was very hittable. Even Mora at least hit the ball off him. However, your stats mean little to me as they don't distinguish what part of the game he was hitting (as in game on the line in late innings) or what spot in the lineup he was batting. He just seems not to hit so well in the three hole as he does batting second and I would assume the stats would support my observations on this.

GRady Sizemore has never done anything against him either. He sucks!

I never knew anyone that could be more completely wrong on so many sports related topics are you are but hey, its cool...its your thing...How you roll!

This season, yes. Overall, Markakis has been a very good hitter in the #3 spot. I have a feeling this has more to do with an anamoly than anything about Nick's hitting accumen.

You're also isolating one incident where Nick expanded the strike zone. Huff and Jones got hits off of him, but it's not like those balls were hit particularly well. That just kind of happens.

I'll take Nick up in that situation against Papelbon every single time, because overall, he's the best hitter on the team.

Why OldFan is allowed to continually troll on this board by posting illogical and ridiculous "observations" and then summarily dismissing any valid arguments against said illogical "observations" is beyond me.

This season, yes. Overall, Markakis has been a very good hitter in the #3 spot. I have a feeling this has more to do with an anamoly than anything about Nick's hitting accumen.

You're also isolating one incident where Nick expanded the strike zone. Huff and Jones got hits off of him, but it's not like those balls were hit particularly well. That just kind of happens.

I'll take Nick up in that situation against Papelbon every single time, because overall, he's the best hitter on the team.

That may be true of Huff's but Jones hit a rocket up the middle off the first pitch he saw! He blistered that ball, and Roberts hit his ball very solid to left field and while Huff's wasn't particularly hard it wasn't a bloop either. As far as Nick against Papelbon, I would put my money on Papelbon every time because as it has already been posted, Markakis is 0-6 lifetime against him.

What was particularly telling about Markakis was he had already walked I believe three times and when he most needed to get on base and Papelbon handed him a free pass he choked and swung at a ball I doubt any of the better Orioles hitters would have even had anything close to a check swing on. That ball was around his eyes and 6 inches off the plate!!!:eek::(

You mean like when Huff chased a high fastball and struck out earlier in the game with RISP? I see your point...

I'm starting to come around to Oldfan's way of thinking. I think that we should arrange our lineup after the break to inversely follow LOB from yesterday's game. Sample size means nothing, and yesterday was clearly the most telling game of the season. Roberts didn't leave any men on, so he can stay in the leadoff spot. Ramon and Millar pinch hit, and they too left no one on. I'll have them bat 2nd and 3rd. Jones and Payton will follow with 1 LOB. Quiroz and Bynum follow with 2, so I'll start Quiroz at DH. Then comes Nick. Huff can bat last and play 3B since MelMo didn't make the cut. Can one of our insiders send this lineup to DT? I think it's gold. This way, the guys who left men on base yesterday will more than likely never get an AB with a man on base again. Simply perfection. Who's with me?

Brob - 2B

Ramon - C

Millar - 1B

Jones - CF

Payton - LF

Quiroz - DH

Bynum - LF

Markakis - RF

Huff - 3B

Archived