Nats sign Detwiler, implications for Weiters?

RVAbird

The Nats signed their 1st round, #6 overall pick Ross Detwiler today. I'm still trying to figure out the details of the deal. Should this speed up the process for Weiters who was the #5 pick? If anyone knows what his deal was like relative to his slot, please chime in.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2068621&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: The terms are currently undisclosed.

No doubt Detwiler was a much easier sign than Weiters, but I'm still surprised the 6th overall pick got signed so quickly. Hopefully he signed for below slot money, but I doubt it.

It'd be nice if the Orioles could get Weiters signed in July and get him in some baseball action asap, but I have a feeling it's going to come down to the wire no matter what.

Let's revisit this thread in 5 years.

We won't need to wait that long. Detwiler will be contributing for the Nats years before that. He may not end up being the best possible choice the Nats could have made but it certainly won't be money flushed down the toilet.

We won't need to wait that long. Detwiler will be contributing for the Nats years before that. He may not end up being the best possible choice the Nats could have made but it certainly won't be money flushed down the toilet.

I have some contempt for his exalted status that most seem to have bought into. WE shall soon see.

I have some contempt for his exalted status that most seem to have bought into. WE shall soon see.

I was one of the members arguing against the O's picking Detwiler, but I have to say that I think he was underrated if anything. He's a polished pitcher, likely to progress quickly. He can be a solid #3 and a 2.15 mil signing bonus is a pretty good deal for the nats, who need to boost their farm system.

I simply think Weiters was a better choice for the O's, being the best all around positional prospect in the draft. 2.15 for Detwiler was actually less than I expected, and if the O's can snag Weiters for around 5 mil I think it will be a good deal.

I was one of the members arguing against the O's picking Detwiler, but I have to say that I think he was underrated if anything. He's a polished pitcher, likely to progress quickly. He can be a solid #3 and a 2.15 mil signing bonus is a pretty good deal for the nats, who need to boost their farm system.

I simply think Weiters was a better choice for the O's, being the best all around positional prospect in the draft. 2.15 for Detwiler was actually less than I expected, and if the O's can snag Weiters for around 5 mil I think it will be a good deal.

We'll see. Check back in August.

Archived