Nats sign Detwiler, implications for Weiters?

RVAbird

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's face it. They had to sign him or risk losing him. I think he WAAAy overrated. We'll see.

What are you basing this on? A hunch? Educated guess? Knowledge?

Have you seen him pitch? Do you know something most scouts don't know about Detwiler? Who do you think the Nat's should have taken at #6 overall that would have been a much better pick?

Are you thinking of LaPorta (#7 overall)? I don't think Moskos has signed yet.

LaPorta indeed signed:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/06/25/2010.ap.bbn.brewers.laporta.0128/

For about 2 mil, which is in line with Detwiler's slot.

Moskos is still unsigned.

I'm starting to think that Weiters shouldn't require any more than 5 mil.

What are you basing this on? A hunch? Educated guess? Knowledge?

Have you seen him pitch? Do you know something most scouts don't know about Detwiler? Who do you think the Nat's should have taken at #6 overall that would have been a much better pick?

6'-4" 175. A build only you could love. Who did he beat this year Mark that has any significance in your eyes? Didn't we have this debate about a month ago?

LaPorta indeed signed:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/06/25/2010.ap.bbn.brewers.laporta.0128/

For about 2 mil, which is in line with Detwiler's slot.

Moskos is still unsigned.

I'm starting to think that Weiters shouldn't require any more than 5 mil.

If we're willing to wait until the deadline he can be had for <= 5 mil. If push comes to shove I think even Boras would concede that a 5m package and getting his career started means more money in the long run compared to waiting another year and repeating the draft process.

6'-4" 175. A build only you could love. Who did he beat this year Mark that has any significance in your eyes? Didn't we have this debate about a month ago?

If you don't think he'll pan out, fine, just be glad we didn't take him and leave the guy alone. There's no reason to disparage him.

Right, because no skinny pitchers have ever succeeded in the Majors, and every man is as built as he's going to be at age 21.

You still haven't answered the question, which is: Are you saying this out of actual knowledge, or are you pulling it directly out of your ass?

I don't have an opinion on Detwiler one way or another, but if you're going to have an opinion, make sure it's based on more than what your local tarot card reader told you at 3 am while drunk and stoned.

That said, Weiters should sign for around $4.5 mil. Just get it done, for Godsakes! When you pay $4.5 mil/yr for a stiff like Jay Payton, why wouldn't you pay the same for a guy who has a great chance to be the next Varitek?

That said, Weiters should sign for around $4.5 mil. Just get it done, for Godsakes! When you pay $4.5 mil/yr for a stiff like Jay Payton, why wouldn't you pay the same for a guy who has a great chance to be the next Varitek?

I think w/Boras you can't just get it done. You have to push things until the last minute as right now he's probably demanding double that.

I think w/Boras you can't just get it done. You have to push things until the last minute as right now he's probably demanding double that.

Very true. I just hope the O's know that they'll have to go way over slot to get this done (I can't imagine they would have drafted him otherwise). And he's worth it.

Right, because no skinny pitchers have ever succeeded in the Majors, and every man is as built as he's going to be at age 21.

You still haven't answered the question, which is: Are you saying this out of actual knowledge, or are you pulling it directly out of your ass?

I don't have an opinion on Detwiler one way or another, but if you're going to have an opinion, make sure it's based on more than what your local tarot card reader told you at 3 am while drunk and stoned.

Hey you're hurtin' my feelings, I'm his local tarot card reader and I'm damn good!!!:D:mad::D

Hey you're hurtin' my feelings, I'm his local tarot card reader and I'm damn good!!!:D:mad::D

So, you are the one who gave Chollie this brilliant inside information?! ;)

Hey, Detwiler was arguably the second best college pitcher available (behind the #1 overall pick David Price) and ranked the #2 pitcher on most teams draft boards. The Nats were looking for pitching in the draft and many teams shy away from high school pitchers. Detwiler was dominant in the Cape Cod League and for Team USA last summer, which usually is a very good indication of well a player will perform at the next level.

Yes, his numbers were down a bit in college this year, but he played for a weak Missouri State team that blew a lot of his games this year. (maybe you don't think Eric Bedard is any good either?)

I'm very glad the Orioles passed him over and selected Wieters, but he was a very reasonable selection for the Nationals to take at #6. He very well may end up being a bust, as we all know the baseball draft is a very inexact science. But to say he was a bad pick for the Nationals is simply wrong.

From today's Sun:

"Scouting director Joe Jordan said that the club has started talks with first-round draft pick Matt Wieters, but nothing is expected to be finished for several weeks."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes06jul06,0,786719.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

I actually think Wieters will get closer to $5.5-$6mil. I also think the Orioles were very aware of his asking price prior to the draft and are committed to getting this deal done. It will get done, but with Boras involved it's going to take some time.

What are you? The "Official Hangout Message Board" police? I'm still trying to figure out why you even piped in? You've never had an original thought in your life. If you did your head would probably explode because your not programmed thay way. Your shallow opinions are what you've heard or read from other people.

Leave the debates to people that can spar without insults.

In the meantime....go shave your back or something.

So, you are the one who gave Chollie this brilliant inside information?! ;)

Hey, Detwiler was arguably the second best college pitcher available (behind the #1 overall pick David Price) and ranked the #2 pitcher on most teams draft boards. The Nats were looking for pitching in the draft and many teams shy away from high school pitchers. Detwiler was dominant in the Cape Cod League and for Team USA last summer, which usually is a very good indication of well a player will perform at the next level.

Yes, his numbers were down a bit in college this year, but he played for a weak Missouri State team that blew a lot of his games this year. (maybe you don't think Eric Bedard is any good either?)

I'm very glad the Orioles passed him over and selected Wieters, but he was a very reasonable selection for the Nationals to take at #6. He very well may end up being a bust, as we all know the baseball draft is a very inexact science. But to say he was a bad pick for the Nationals is simply wrong.

Porcello will probably wind up being better. OK Mark, when he's struggling to throw strikes in A ball you'll probably blame his overwork at Missouri State? That MVC power. Let's hope his ligaments hold up.

Archived