Nats sign Detwiler, implications for Weiters?

RVAbird

Porcello will probably wind up being better. OK Mark, when he's struggling to throw strikes in A ball you'll probably blame his overwork at Missouri State? That MVC power. Let's hope his ligaments hold up.

You seem to be basing your flawed argument on the inferior competition Detwiler faced in college. Last time I checked, MVC teams Wichita State and Creighton were pretty good baseball programs. Last year Missouri State played against University of Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Bradley as well Creighton and Wichita State. All pretty good baseball programs.

Also, Detwiler pitched for the world champion Team USA team in the summer of 2006, recording a 2-0 record and 0.95 ERA. His last five starts from 2006, six appearances with Team USA and two starts for the Falmouth Commodores of the Cape Cod league, Detwiler has put together a 7-1 record and 1.01 ERA with 80 strikeouts in 71 innings of work over his last 13 competitive appearances.

Would you prefer Detwiler compile great statistics against high school teams such as "Our Lady of the Poor who can't afford bats" and "The Fellows who are Blind"? I'm sure Rich Porcello had more games against those types of teams rather than Wichita State and Creighton baseball programs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leave the debates to people that can spar without insults.
6'-4" 175. A build only you could love. Who did he beat this year Mark that has any significance in your eyes? Didn't we have this debate about a month ago?

Excuse me? All you DO is insult people. You still have nothing to back up your opinion. As long as you make inane, derogatory posts without any facts behind them, I will continue to call you out. Come with facts or shut the hell up.

And as I said, I have nothing to contribute to this thread re: Detwiler. But at least I have the intelligence not to pretend that I do.

From today's Sun:

"Scouting director Joe Jordan said that the club has started talks with first-round draft pick Matt Wieters, but nothing is expected to be finished for several weeks."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes06jul06,0,786719.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

I actually think Wieters will get closer to $5.5-$6mil. I also think the Orioles were very aware of his asking price prior to the draft and are committed to getting this deal done. It will get done, but with Boras involved it's going to take some time.

It'll be interesting. I could see 5.5-6m if it is a major league contract but if the Orioles handle things correctly a straight singing bonus should not crack $5m. There is no reason to even contemplate going higher than around 4.5m.

Archived