Top Manager Candidates

connja

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Please no. None of the Ripken's. He may make a great manager. But I would like someone not a former Oriole. Some fresh blood if at all possible. 

I agree that it would be better to bring someone in who's not now (or  recently) part of the Orioles organization. I wouldn't disqualify Billy Ripken or anyone else who was with the Orioles decades ago. 

As someone who's not very familiar with the bench coaches (or other coaches), I tossed Billy's name out a long time ago as a guy who seems to be knowledgeable and open to new ideas. 

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I do not agree.

If he would bring back the Oriole way, and the right way to do things, and back to basic fundamentals of the game, makes sense to me.

Cal Ripken was a sanctimonious prima donna. There's a reason he hasn't been given a MLB opportunity. He's not his father. Not even close. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Cal Ripken was a sanctimonious prima donna. There's a reason he hasn't been given a MLB opportunity. He's not his father. Not even close. 

Looked in the mirror, lately? :):):)

I hadnt mentioned Cal at all, I mentioned Billy and his mindset.

3 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Would rather Billy than Cal and I grew up idolizing Cal in the 90’s.

Me too, and guys willing to stand and sign for hours for kids, are usually not prima donna, but whatever. Everybody is entitled to their opinions.

And I believe Cal has said multiple times, he doesnt really want to manage, as he did too much traveling as a player.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Looked in the mirror, lately? :):):)

I hadnt mentioned Cal at all, I mentioned Billy and his mindset.

I don't see Billy as being the right type either. He always seemed like a lazy player (to me) and I don't think his ego / sarcasm would go over well with younger players. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't see Billy as being the right type either. He always seemed like a lazy player (to me) and I don't think his ego / sarcasm would go over well with younger players. 

Lazy?

WTH, I dont remember that one bit.

He was driven as much as his brother was, when it came to on the field play, and there is no way Daddy would allow him to get away with lazy.

As for ego, none of that came through any of the interviews he did over the years,

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Me too, and guys willing to stand and sign for hours for kids, are usually not prima donna, but whatever. Everybody is entitled to their opinions.

And I believe Cal has said multiple times, he doesnt really want to manage, as he did too much traveling as a player.

Yeah I disagree with that characterization too but yeah. I just think with Cal people would be too focused on the name and not what needs to be done and that's developing talent. I dunno. The Twins just found out that a hometown hero and yes I know Molitor is in the HoF as a Twin that they don't always cut it as a manager. Cal was a smart player but the next great O's manager is going to be someone completely out of left field. It's too bad that Buck and Duq didn't work out. I loved the idea that they, the architects for my two most hated team's' successes in the 90's and 00's could have brought us to the promised land.

1 minute ago, Palmoripken said:

Yeah I disagree with that characterization too but yeah. I just think with Cal people would be too focused on the name and not what needs to be done and that's developing talent. I dunno. The Twins just found out that a hometown hero and yes I know Molitor is in the HoF as a Twin that they don't always cut it as a manager. Cal was a smart player but the next great O's manager is going to be someone completely out of left field. It's too bad that Buck and Duq didn't work out. I loved the idea that they, the architects for my two most hated team's' successes in the 90's and 00's could have brought us to the promised land.

Its usually the non-stars, like Bob Melvin, who make the better manager, as opposed to the once a star.

Billy while a daily player, was never the STAR, so maybe that would work for him.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its usually the non-stars, like Bob Melvin, who make the better manager, as opposed to the once a star.

Billy while a daily player, was never the STAR, so maybe that would work for him.

Look at Earl. Lifelong minor leaguer. Best O's manager of all time. Stars don't make good managers typically, see Ted Williams.

The Reds have interviewed Joe Girardi.  Would love if we brought him in.  The Reds are one of the few teams who have been worse than us and one of the few that approaches the level of Baltimore circus.  Embarrassing if they sign him and we cant even get an interview.  

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Lazy?

WTH, I dont remember that one bit.

He was driven as much as his brother was, when it came to on the field play, and there is no way Daddy would allow him to get away with lazy.

As for ego, none of that came through any of the interviews he did over the years,

I mean, have you watched him on the MLB network? 99% of the time he comes across as a complete d*ck.

8 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Stayed in separate hotels for road games...often took separate flights...put himself above the team during tail end of "the streak". 

Archived