Top Manager Candidates

connja

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

sorry, cant say that I have.

He's on there most nights. Suggest tuning in. My comments were largely backed by what I've seen of him on the network. The only one who's worse is Eric Byrnes. Now Jim Thome (who's also on the network) would probably make a great manager. 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Stayed in separate hotels for road games...often took separate flights...put himself above the team during tail end of "the streak". 

Fair enough. I admit a lot of my beliefs about Cal come from that of a pre-adolescent perspective. I agree with you he wouldn't be a good fit. 

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Ted was a manager of the year...with some bad Senator teams.

He had that one good year, my father was even at the 30th anniversary reunion for that team at Westfields Marriott.  Ted's managerial stint was frankly no disrespect to the man mostly a flop. Don't get me wrong. He's easily one of the best to ever play but he did struggle managing aside from 1969.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's on there most nights. Suggest tuning in. My comments were largely backed by what I've seen of him on the network. The only one who's worse is Eric Byrnes. Now Jim Thome (who's also on the network) would probably make a great manager. 

isn't that a paid cable subscription channel?

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Loved Thome as both a player even when he hit us hard. That stance :). I think he might be a good fit for a first timer. He seemed smart and never had a trace of ego about him and I don't have orange colored glasses for Jim since he was mostly not with the team in his career. Not a bad suggestion there.  I think he would make a great hitting coach possibly.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Stayed in separate hotels for road games...often took separate flights...put himself above the team during tail end of "the streak". 

I believe it was a consensus agreement between Rip and the team, for separate hotels, the mob scene was huge when he traveled, and they tried to keep that focus away from the rest of the team,

Yes, I agree, at the end, he put himself above the team, during the steak.

RIp in hindsight was and is a guy with a carefully controlled image. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good or bad thing but he was basically Jeter before Jeter, someone who would never say the wrong thing. Not one to rock the boat during tough times. I loved Cal as a player as I said. In fact, it was a great thrill for me at the age of 20, gosh over ten years ago now to get his autograph but I don't want him managing and I don't think he would be a good fit on the other end too. I just think he gets focus because of his name. Part of why Cal Sr was such a great organizational guy because he wasn't a celebrity, he was someone who was able to do whatever he could to make the organization better and I'm not saying Cal wouldn't work his butt off to make the organization better but Cal Sr was willing to go anywhere whether it was South Dakota if it meant helping the team out and I just don't know if Cal Jr is that guy especially since he's much older than his Dad was at the start of his potential coaching career.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

isn't that a paid cable subscription channel?

It is. I caved and sprung for the Sports Package (includes MLB TV) just for the RedZone Channel. I found myself watching quite a bit of MLB TV leading up the start of the season. It was a great way to stay on type of potential trades and free agent signings. 

6 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Just a guess but when a young manager like Cora has that much success he may say to himself I not going to have a chance here for awhile. I assume he wants a big league job and figures he has a better chance elsewhere. All just a guess. 

Or has one ready to go. 

I will readily admit to a Georgia Tech bias, but the idea of Jason Varitek intrigues me. His front office and on field experience with the Red Sox would be a big plus, he was a great competitor and what Georgia Tech grad is not into analytics? We could do worse than to tap into some of what has been happening on Yawkey Way in recent years.

18 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Fair enough. I admit a lot of my beliefs about Cal come from that of a pre-adolescent perspective. I agree with you he wouldn't be a good fit. 

I was always more of an Eddie guy. Even as a young kid just something about Cal rubbed me the wrong way. 

Just now, HelenaEngineer said:

I will readily admit to a Georgia Tech bias, but the idea of Jason Varitek intrigues me. His front office and on field experience with the Red Sox would be a big plus, he was a great competitor and what Georgia Tech grad is not into analytics? We could do worse than to tap into some of what has been happening on Yawkey Way in recent years.

Imagining a former Red Sox as a future Oriole manager just made me throw up in my mouth a bit. 

Archived