Top Manager Candidates

connja

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the price is 1.5  per year. Would he work for that?

No reason to spend that much on a manager for the next two or three years. We should be able to get a pretty good manager in  the $700,000 - 900,000 range for a few years years. When the team is ready to compete, pay him more if he's a keeper or get someone with more experience if he's not.

Here's how much the lowest paid managers make in 2018. No sense over-spending.

• Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks: $900,000 
  • Davey Martinez, Washington Nationals: $850,000 
  • Mickey Callaway, New York Mets: $850,000 
  • Gabe Kapler, Philadelphia Phillies: $803,000 
  • Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox: $800,000 
  • Scott Servais, Seattle Mariners: $800,000 
  • Brian Snitker, Atlanta Braves: $800,000 
  • @Jim Riggleman, Cincinnati Reds: $700,000 (prorated) 
  • @Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals: $700,00 (prorated) 

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

No reason to spend that much on a manager for the next two or three years. We should be able to get a pretty good manager in  the $700,000 - 900,000 range for a few years years. When the team is ready to compete, pay him more if he's a keeper or get someone with more experience if he's not.

Here's how much the lowest paid managers make in 2018. No sense over-spending.

• Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks: $900,000 
  • Davey Martinez, Washington Nationals: $850,000 
  • Mickey Callaway, New York Mets: $850,000 
  • Gabe Kapler, Philadelphia Phillies: $803,000 
  • Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox: $800,000 
  • Scott Servais, Seattle Mariners: $800,000 
  • Brian Snitker, Atlanta Braves: $800,000 
  • @Jim Riggleman, Cincinnati Reds: $700,000 (prorated) 
  • @Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals: $700,00 (prorated) 

Stand corrected. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Buck Britton.

I really like Buck Britton and I think he is going to be a big league manager eventually, but he needs years more seasoning in the minors before he's an option. A big part of that is that he's 32 years old, now this shouldn't matter, but I'm 100% sure it does. Being younger than some of the players on the team will make it harder to command respect and authority. Again it shouldn't matter, but it does, it's just human nature. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I really like Buck Britton and I think he is going to be a big league manager eventually, but he needs years more seasoning in the minors before he's an option. A big part of that is that he's 32 years old, now this shouldn't matter, but I'm 100% sure it does. Being younger than some of the players on the team will make it harder to command respect and authority. Again it shouldn't matter, but it does, it's just human nature. 

Sounds kind of like how Showalter began.

12 hours ago, connja said:

With the report around Buck being out, started thinking about top manager candidates.  Hope they go with a younger former player, rather than an older retread.   Sandy Alomar Jr?  Lot of former catchers make good managers.

Here is an article from the spring that shares some names.

https://www.mlb.com/news/here-are-some-future-mlb-managerial-candidates/c-272950502

I agree with you. 

10 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I can see a career minor league manager, a patient low-key player development guy, getting the manager job for 2-3 years. And then, as the fall guy, he will be replaced by a hotshot young manager. 

Seems to be a pretty common thing for rebuilding teams to upgrade their manager when they're ready to compete again.

25 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Dare I say... Brady Anderson?

giphy.gif

Just so he can activate himself!

Too funny! Well played.

On a side note, I grew up with the pitcher in that clip. I played several sports with him as a teammate. Very good dude. He would probably love to plunk Brady.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Who? Davis and Joseph? Davis should welcome anyone who even considers writing his name in the lineup. And Joseph seems like he’d be happy with a new direction.

I think Britton would be a good choice, but don’t see them doing anything so bold.

Archived