Top Manager Candidates

connja

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Condescending, self-important, overwhelming sense of inflated value.. Sarcastic. Cynical. 

The Anti Brooks Robinson. 

And Steve Phillips? Don't get me started.  It's like the two of them are five drinks in at a cocktail party. 

You say that is if they are bad things.

On 9/22/2018 at 7:07 AM, weams said:

No. Whoever is brought in is a caretaker and of course a fall guy. 

On 9/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Jammer7 said:

I can see a career minor league manager, a patient low-key player development guy, getting the manager job for 2-3 years. And then, as the fall guy, he will be replaced by a hotshot young manager. 

This is obvious a likely choice, but realistically, you could give an average joe off the street the job and it’s not gonna be a “fall guy” situation.

Not using any point of the last 12 months to designate a “fall guy” pretty much removes the chance of there being one during the rebuild.

Ceiling guy...maybe.  Such as:

Skipper has taken us as far as he can!  Orioles replace manager after 68 wins  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hunter mentioned on the broadcast that Bobby Dickerson speaks Spanish.    

Dickerson would be the one guy they currently have who I’d keep. 

But I’d like a clause in a new deal that keeps him in the organization in some capacity if they decide to go with someone else later.

When a team losses a 110 games I am not interested in promoting from within.

While I do not like recycled managers, I also am not interested in hiring someone who has never managed before.Too much unknown and the major leagues is not the place to learn on the job even when rebuilding.  There are a lot of long time major league players that were considered smart gritty players that would make good managers.  However, when they get a major league manager's job, the reality is that they often are in over their head and being a player that projects to be a manager does not translate in reality (Mathany, Ausmus, Ventura and Weiss) .  I like managers that have a record of success in the minor leagues and gained experience by managing hundreds of games.

I have a name of someone I would like for the Orioles to consider and it is a good memorable name, Stubby Clapp.  He is 45 years old and has managed the Memphis Red Birds to two consecutive PCL titles. I think he would be good with young players and bring a different and new energy to the organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubby_Clapp

The Orioles had success once before with a manager who was very short, colorful and had a mediocre playing career as a 2nd basemen in the Cardinals organization and sometimes history repeats itself.

4 minutes ago, POR said:

When a team losses a 110 games I am not interested in promoting from within.

While I do not like recycled managers, I also am not interested in hiring someone who has never managed before.Too much unknown and the major leagues is not the place to learn on the job even when rebuilding.  There are a lot of long time major league players that were considered smart gritty players that would make good managers.  However, when they get a major league manager's job, the reality is that they often are in over their head and being a player that projects to be a manager does not translate in reality (Mathany, Ausmus, Ventura and Weiss) .  I like managers that have a record of success in the minor leagues and gained experience by managing hundreds of games.

I have a name of someone I would like for the Orioles to consider and it is a good memorable name, Stubby Clapp.  He is 45 years old and has managed the Memphis Red Birds to two consecutive PCL titles. I think he would be good with young players and bring a different and new energy to the organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubby_Clapp

The Orioles had success once before with a manager who was very short, colorful and had a mediocre playing career as a 2nd basemen in the Cardinals organization and sometimes history repeats itself.

Sold.  If he works hard and cheap I am all for him for these next two seasons. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

Sold.  If he works hard and cheap I am all for him for these next two seasons. 

I don’t understand the need to hire a guy that’s “Cheap”. I’d want the best player development manager that we can find. I personally like Ausmus and believe he could do a good job with the young guys. i don’t expect he’d be looking break the bank.

Ultimately it will be Duquette that has more to do with success by getting the right players. I don’t think we have any star caliper position guys in the minors

Archived