Top Manager Candidates

connja

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Nobody on the 40 man roster right now is older than Buck Britton except Davis and Trumbo, and the two of them are just 60 and 120 days older than BB, respectively, and in a perfect world wouldn't be on the team next year anyway.

I hear you, but still, a 32 year old who never played an inning in the majors and only has managed a brief amount of time in the minors needs more seasoning IMO. I think he's got a bright future though. 

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I hear you, but still, a 32 year old who never played an inning in the majors and only has managed a brief amount of time in the minors needs more seasoning IMO. I think he's got a bright future though. 

Who knows how many games they might lose with someone like that in charge!

We've said before they will let their benefit event held on Saturday Buck and his wife do every year take place before they make their announcement. Probably on Monday so they aren't competing with the NFL on Sunday. I was there Sunday and watched closely the body language of AJ and Buck at the end. Buck when  leaving the field before stepping down into the dugout gave a quick wave up towards the TV booth. I saw it as a goodbye.

I've heard some teams might be interested in hiring him if we don't extend him.  Mike Scioscia 1650-1428 over 19 seasons and Paul Molitor 305-343, both want to continue managing as does Mike Metheny 591-474 let go in St.Louis and the Rangers manager Jeff Bannister also let go. Bannister has a record of 325-313 as a manager. I would think all of the above will be interviewed along with Ron Johnson manager at Norfolk with a 491-511 record and winner  of the Cal Ripken, Sr Player Development Award. Joe Girardi? Not likely !  He would probably love to land a job in the A:L East and go head to head with the Red Sox and Yankees again. He could get the Toronto job or St Louis job if they don't keep their interim manager. I favor Molitor Manager of the Year last year and still reasonably young at 62.  The Twins reportedly want to keep him in their organization. As a player he was known for his exceptional hitting and speed. He made seven All-Star Game appearances, and was the World Series MVP in 1993. He should not have any problems getting the respect of the players. Would probably make a great hitting coach for us and could help out in that department. Career .306 BA.  He will probably take the Toronto job and return to a team he played for in the early 90's.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:41 AM, eddie83 said:

Boles makes sense. His father and DD crossed paths in Montreal as well late 80’s, early 90’s.  

Does anyone know why Boles resigned from the Pawtucket Sox right after the minor league season ended?

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Does anyone know why Boles resigned from the Pawtucket Sox right after the minor league season ended?

Just a guess but when a young manager like Cora has that much success he may say to himself I not going to have a chance here for awhile. I assume he wants a big league job and figures he has a better chance elsewhere. All just a guess. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Just a guess but when a young manager like Cora has that much success he may say to himself I not going to have a chance here for awhile. I assume he wants a big league job and figures he has a better chance elsewhere. All just a guess. 

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/pawtucket-times/20180911/282046212992086

The article alludes to things, like not even interviewing him for a coaching spot on the parent club, after paying his dues to their system.

Archived