Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

On 10/8/2018 at 5:28 AM, weams said:

The funny thing about Jon, he sold himself at 10% of lifetime earnings and used that as a reason to hold out for FA as opposed to an extension. Now it's looking like a good deal. 

I don’t remember him ever using his lifetime earnings deal as a reason not to talk with the Orioles about an extension.   In fact, I remember him being disappointed that the O’s has not discussed a long term deal with him.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember him ever using his lifetime earnings deal as a reason not to talk with the Orioles about an extension.   In fact, I remember him being disappointed that the O’s has not discussed a long term deal with him.  

With the lack of contract renegotiation to Manny and Schoop, 2 of the key core. It almost makes me wonder, if the plan to blow up the team was set before this disastrous season got underway.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

With the lack of contract renegotiation to Manny and Schoop, 2 of the key core. It almost makes me wonder, if the plan to blow up the team was set before this disastrous season got underway.

You don't sign Cobb to a four year deal in that situation.

I don't think there was an abundance of planning ahead going on.

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the O’s concluded several years ago that they couldn’t afford to extend Manny.    Hence the lack of effort to do so.   

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Curious - what do folks think the state of play is if in Brewers run prevention meetings, they ask Schoop for a consult on how to get Manny out?  And vice versa?  Stuff like, when we were 17, he told me he doesn't like Pitch X in Location Y.

I think they have better resources available.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It's pretty clear to me that from 2012 on the "plan" -- not sure that's the right word -- was consistent and came from the owner: gather and develop a group of players who might be able to contend for the post-season during the current season and in the near future, taking advantage of the HR-friendly home field, emphasizing relief pitching and de-emphasizing starters, overpaying established players where necessary to get or keep them (while avoiding commitments to those with significant injury risks), skimping on other investments and expenses, and trading away prospects -- all to enhance the chances of winning now. The signings of Davis, Trumbo and O'Day started out as part of that plan -- the belief it was important to keep those guys in order to remain contenders -- and then spiraled out of control. 

The owner, presumably with the agreement of his sons and/or others, adhered to that "plan" until June or July 2018, well after most of the rest of the baseball world saw how foolish it was.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, LA2 said:

INTROOH--DEUCING The 2018 Wawld Series Champeen Bawltimawh OhhRioles!!

Nick Markakis RF

Gerardo Parra CF

Justin Turner 3B

Manny Machado SS

Steve Pearce 1B

Jonathan Schoop 2B

Mark Reynolds LF (A Rockie for most of the season)

Ryan Flaherty C :noidea:

RIch Hill, Kevin Gausman, Wade Miley, Zach Davies SP

Andrew Miller, Brad Brach, Josh Hader, Zach Britton RP

Am I missing someone?

We forgot E-Rod, a third lefty starter!

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They also kept multiple Rule 5 picks, kept Tillman on the roster, etc. It's like two different plans were in play and probably were to some extent. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember thinking about 4 years ago that they were trying to maximize the 2012-2018 window.   Buck, DD, Manny, Brach, Britton all being done in 2018, TIllman and Wieters before that. 

The Davis deal, and then the Cobb deal, kind of made me wonder if that was right.

Of course the Davis deal might have come from PGA.   And the Cobb deal might have just been an opportunity that presented itself in March that was not part of the original plan, that a good pitcher would still be available and the market would be so depressed.

8 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Why can't both the O's and the Dodgers win the trade? It doesn't have to be one-sided and his performance in LA this year really has no bearing on the O's right now. Not like he would have elevated the O's any if they kept him.

I wasn't implying that the O's lost the trade.  I agree that both sides can win.

23 hours ago, LA2 said:

INTROOH--DEUCING The 2018 Wawld Series Champeen Bawltimawh OhhRioles!!

Nick Markakis RF

Gerardo Parra CF

Justin Turner 3B

Manny Machado SS

Steve Pearce 1B

Jonathan Schoop 2B

Mark Reynolds LF (A Rockie for most of the season)

Ryan Flaherty C :noidea:

RIch Hill, Kevin Gausman, Eduardo Rodriguez, Wade Miley, Zach Davies SP

Andrew Miller, Brad Brach, Josh Hader, Zach Britton RP

Am I missing someone?

I would put Pearce in LF and Reynolds at 1B. You can tell it's an Oriole team -- two guys who are good only at 1B, but one has to cover LF.