Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

18 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I agree with the notion that “as long as Manny’s been playing baseball, you don’t step on someone’s heel 2 times in a week running to 1st base and it being an accident.” Why is it just him? 

He didn't step on Aguilar's heel. Watch a video. The Pearce incident was clearly an accident to me. He was out of control on that last step, not trying to hurt Pearce.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

He didn't step on Aguilar's heel. Watch a video. The Pearce incident was clearly an accident to me. He was out of control on that last step, not trying to hurt Pearce.

I find it amusing how folks here have turned on Manny.  You know that if he were still an O's and doing this some of these same folks would be defending him.

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Yeah, if Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray, and Jim Palmer were wearing Red Sox uniforms, I would root against them if they were representing that franchise in the World Series.

Laundry comes first with me, even with Orioles legends ........ so I'm certainly not going to root for the Red Sox in the World Series because of Steve Pearce. I would just as soon have that once loveable Oriole gamer strike out in a crucial situation, and watch his team lose the game (and eventually the series itself.)

o

I have a good response to all this but I think it will be an upsetting answer so I'm not going to post it, so I'll just move on.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I find it amusing how folks here have turned on Manny.  You know that if he were still an O's and doing this some of these same folks would be defending him.

I mean, it looked like he matured some from his first few years.  He wasn't doing any dirty plays like he did earlier on his career.  He did not hustle sometimes but's he's really dogged it this year. he's totally regressed.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Natty said:

Purposely trying to hurt ballplayers is bad news. Pedroia cant even play now. Is MLB going to allow Manny to hurt someone else?

I don't recall anyone outside of a few Red Sox fans that thought the play Pedroia was hurt on was dirty.

Sometimes accidents do happen.

Am I remembering wrong?  Was there an outcry from the general baseball fanbase that the play was dirty?  Or was it retroconned that way after we found out how injured Pedroia was?

Here is the film.

https://www.mlb.com/video/pedroia-leaves-after-collision/c-1309699983

The announcers don't seem upset, Manny appears to be honestly concerned about Pedroia (as opposed to all the catchers he's hit with his bat). 

There are better ways to dirty slide.

35 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Damn you for making me want the Red Sox to win

I do not want the Sox to win.  They are going to because they are the best team in baseball and recently, the best team has won the World Series.  But the last thing I want is to see the most spoiled sports region in the entire country claim what would be an 11th major title in the last 18 years. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I mean, it looked like he matured some from his first few years.  He wasn't doing any dirty plays like he did earlier on his career.  He did not hustle sometimes but's he's really dogged it this year. he's totally regressed.

He busted his ass scoring from second the other day. Last night, he advanced to third and made it on the strength of a head-first dive, making sure to hold on to the bag.

Later, he runs as hard as he can, takes an extra-long stride in an attempt to beat the throw to first, loses control of that stride, and gets accused of playing dirty. Can't win.

Manny's made some mistakes, but now it seems the guy doesn't get a fair shake. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone outside of a few Red Sox fans that thought the play Pedroia was hurt on was dirty.

Sometimes accidents do happen.

Am I remembering wrong?  Was there an outcry from the general baseball fanbase that the play was dirty?  Or was it retroconned that way after we found out how injured Pedroia was?

Here is the film.

https://www.mlb.com/video/pedroia-leaves-after-collision/c-1309699983

The announcers don't seem upset, Manny appears to be honestly concerned about Pedroia (as opposed to all the catchers he's hit with his bat). 

There are better ways to dirty slide.

Looks on purpose to me, why would your spikes be that high over the base aiming for someones leg? And MLB already fined Machado for running into Aquilar. Lets see what they say about spiking Pearce.  Manny also hit catcher Vazquez in the head with his bat last night. Lots of bad stuff happens with Machado...

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He busted his ass scoring from second the other day. Last night, he advanced to third and made it on the strength of a head-first dive, making sure to hold on to the bag.

Later, he runs as hard as he can, takes an extra-long stride in an attempt to beat the throw to first, loses control of that stride, and gets accused of playing dirty. Can't win.

Manny's made some mistakes, but now it seems the guy doesn't get a fair shake. 

I believe that head-first dive to third came in the 7th after he jogged down to second on Bellinger's grounder that the Sox botched.  As that play unfolded, I remember thinking there is no way the Dodgers don't score two runs on that error.  And then with the replay I saw why only one came across, although the Puig homer negated it. 

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

Looks on purpose to me, why would your spikes be that high over the base aiming for someones leg? And MLB already fined Machado for running into Aquilar. Lets see what they say about spiking Pearce.  Manny also hit catcher Vazquez in the head with his bat last night. Lots of bad stuff happens with Machado...

Because it slides over the bag.

I've always thought that Machado was hitting the catchers on purpose.  I'm just defending his intent with this one slide.

I think that the subsequent problems Pedroia has had has altered public opinion.

Just now, JR Oriole said:

I believe that head-first dive to third came in the 7th after he jogged down to second on Bellinger's grounder that the Sox botched.  As that play unfolded, I remember thinking there is no way the Dodgers don't score two runs on that error.  And then with the replay I saw why only one came across, although the Puig homer negated it. 

As Joe Buck pointed out, he lost sight of the ball while headed to second. The play was behind him. Once he found the ball again he took off for third.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many times have you seen a runner touch the 1B on routine ground balls? Touch, not hit their heel twice in a week and a half?

• Upvote 1