How to make baseball more interesting

atomic

On 10/3/2018 at 12:09 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

I would definitely get rid of the shift.

I would definitely get rid of players who are so pull-dependent that the shift is a great strategy to make them hit .168.

The shift is a great incentivizer of employing more guys who slap the ball to the opposite field and run hard.  Outlawing the shift is not only unwieldy and going against nearly 200 years of baseball history, but it also enables our descent into three true outcomes becoming the only outcomes.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would definitely get rid of players who are so pull-dependent that the shift is a great strategy to make them hit .168.

The shift is a great incentivizer of employing more guys who slap the ball to the opposite field and run hard.  Outlawing the shift is not only unwieldy and going against nearly 200 years of baseball history, but it also enables our descent into three true outcomes becoming the only outcomes.

I agree completely. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Along similar lines, I think outlawing the shift would be a step towards making baseball more like snookers (that is a game where the outcomes are circumscribed by a strict set of rules and constraints) and less like a game where folks run freely around on some grass ( or pseudo grass) and compete athletically against each other.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Along similar lines, I think outlawing the shift would be a step towards making baseball more like snookers (that is a game where the outcomes are circumscribed by a strict set of rules and constraints) and less like a game where folks run freely around on some grass ( or pseudo grass) and compete athletically against each other.

If they outlaw the shift I will be done with the game.  

I completely get the argument against change from the traditionalists, but they absolutely need to find a way to speed up the game if they want to attract a younger fan base. And if they don't, it's probably going to go they way of hockey and become more of a niche sport. I'm not sure I agree with all of the suggestions made by the original poster, but pitching changes take up a ridiculous amount of unnecessary time and they completely kill the pace of the game. Limiting the number of pitchers allowed on rosters and making them face more than one batter seems like it would help. 

Archived