Duquette is expected to be fired

Thato'sfan

Just now, eddie83 said:

Eveyone is entitled to their opinion..... but the majority of people have no clue what they are talking about. They literally have no clue how pro sports operate. This isn’t a fantasy league where you can do what you want with no oversight and where a GM determines how much money they spend. 

Exactly.  DD wasn’t perfect by any means but he was limited on what he could actually do.  

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The fact that they do not appear to be moving on a hire tells me that it is Brady and he is already in charge.

Huh?   They are going to have to interview people.   Maybe bring the best candidates back for a second interview.

I know we have had really bad ownership but some of these leaps of logic are just crazy.   A hire like this will take time, they will probably interview four or five people.   How do you know they aren't "moving" on it?   How do you know who they have asked to meet with?   Or at least will ask to meet with tomorrow when the business day starts?   

Brady is not Rasputin, with magical powers to influence people.   He isn't behind every little thing that happens or that we think might be happening because we aren't a fly on the wall at the warehouse.   He holds a position with the club.   Peter Angelos valued his opinion nad liked him, which was unfortunate because he made some bad recommendations.   It's been reported that Lou Angelos also likes him.   That doesn't mean that he is going to magically pull strings or that he is secretly running things.   Yes, if Lou listens to his opinions over that of his new president, that could lead to dysfunciton.   But there's no evidence that has happened with Lou.   And they are SAYING in their press release that they are going to hire a President from outside the organization and give that person full control over baseball decisions.   Now that could turn out to be a lie, it's probably smart to be alert to the possibility as we watch events unfold, based on past history.   But the idea that somehow Brady is using his Vulcan mind meld powers to run things is just paranoid silliness.   We have to take them at their word right now and see what happens next.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Biscotti in February did announce that Ozzie Newsome is stepping down. Not in a press release at night.

Yes, at the State of the Ravens address, the one time per year he talks to the press.

OK, I"ll admit it wouldn't have hurt for them to make a public appearance, hold a press conference.    The lack of it isn't a disaster or sign of dysfunciton, IMO.   It's just owners keeping a low profile.   Which is fine with me.   I'm much more interested in their actions.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ok. I thought this is what you were saying. 

I would think we would see them when the hirings are announced. I would not get too upset over this.  

I do hope they are more transparent than their father.  

Yeah, I am not big on protocol usually. It just seems like losing 115 games, letting go of the guys who led you out of the wilderness, and in an environment where people are speculating about who MLB will let be owners of the Orioles is the perfect time to get out in front and say hello.

Just now, SteveA said:

Yes, at the State of the Ravens address, the one time per year he talks to the press.

OK, I"ll admit it wouldn't have hurt for them to make a public appearance, hold a press conference.    The lack of it isn't a disaster or sign of dysfunciton, IMO.   It's just owners keeping a low profile.   Which is fine with me.   I'm much more interested in their actions.

I agree .I do not get upset and  waiting to see what will happen.

On a personal note ,sorry if I digress.I got a nice email from the Nationals thanking me for coming to the Nationals games and apologizing for not doing better.I went to two Nationals games.I have been an Oriole season ticket holder for over 13 years and got a Thank You Oriole email video .The Orioles thanking the fans.Not much effort 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I am hoping they were looking for a new GM the last 2 months behind the scenes.  Otherwise they wasted 2 months.  

Hopefully at least making lists.   Probably wouldn't ask to actually interview someone while Dan was still the GM.   

The Giants fired their GM a few days ago.   Here is an article on how long they might take to find a replacement.   Seems like the GM meetings on Nov 6-8 might be a reasonable target.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/03/how-long-will-it-take-the-giants-to-hire-a-new-general-manager/

Just now, Going Underground said:

I agree .I do not get upset and  waiting to see what will happen.

On a personal note ,sorry if I digress.I got a nice email from the Nationals thanking me for coming to the Nationals games and apologizing for not doing better.I went to two Nationals games.I have been an Oriole season ticket holder for over 13 years and got a Thank You Oriole email video .The Orioles thanking the fans.Not much effort 

Not upset but feeling uncertain until I know Brady’s fate.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So just got the email from the Orioles about the changes.Mentions Rajisch,Anderson and Grahsm.I guess those would be the guys going to the Winter meetings if no one else in place.

ORIOLES ANNOUNCE TRANSITION IN BASEBALL OPERATIONS LEADERSHIP
The Orioles today announced that Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations DAN DUQUETTE and field manager BUCK SHOWALTER will not return to the organization in 2019. Duquette and Showalter are currently completing contracts that conclude at the end of the month. 

The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department. Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community. 

While Director of Scouting GARY RAJSICH, Vice President of Baseball Operations BRADY ANDERSON, and Director of Player Development BRIAN GRAHAM currently remain under contract, Graham will handle day-to-day oversight of Baseball Operations department in the interim period. Graham joined the Orioles organization in 2007 after having previously served as interim General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates. 

On behalf of the club, the Angelos family, and partners, spokesperson Greg Bader issued the following statement: 

"With the conclusion of the 2018 season, the club has decided to reorganize its Baseball Operations department under new executive management. We thank Dan and Buck for their many contributions over the past several years. Under their leadership, prior to the 2018 season and for six consecutive years, the club delivered competitive teams playing meaningful baseball into September, achieved three postseason appearances and came within four games of a World Series appearance, and won more games than any other American League club during a period spanning five of those six enjoyable seasons. 

"Everyone in Birdland and across our organization will cherish these memories, and we all join in thanking Dan and Buck for their contributions. 

"As we look forward to the next chapter of Orioles Baseball, we are grateful for the ongoing support of our fans. While this year has been a challenge, the organization is determined to grow and change in ways that will ultimately lead us back to the postseason." 

Archived