Duquette is expected to be fired

Thato'sfan

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

Exactly, and if the new GM wants to retain Brady Anderson then good deal. Brady Anderson takes a lot of crap around here, but he most certainly has value imo. Just hire the new GM and turn the reigns over to him. That's all. Because just like I did with Duquette, I will hold the new GM accountable. None of this, yeah but...bs. The GM is the Captain of the ship and it is his ship to sail or sink. DD sunk his ship, and good riddance.

Ok, what value does Brady have besides good looks and a solid, sometimes spectacular, playing career?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, what value does Brady have besides good looks and a solid, sometimes spectacular, playing career?

well it is all opinion, but in my opinion he is a very good strength and conditioning coach. I also think he has good communication skills and a very solid baseball background centered around the Baltimore Orioles.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

well it is all opinion, but in my opinion he is a very good strength and conditioning coach. I also think he has good communication skills and a very solid baseball background centered around the Baltimore Orioles.

I'll agree on the strength and conditioning part.  Communication skills, yeah he speaks well but it's hard to judge past that.  No insight as how he is to work with, etc.  

I just don't get how he gets a pass when Buck and DD are let go.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll agree on the strength and conditioning part.  Communication skills, yeah he speaks well but it's hard to judge past that.  No insight as how he is to work with, etc.  

I'm thinking there are thousands of qualified strength and conditioning coaches that would accept a fraction of what Anderson makes and won't make the incoming GM uneasy.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm thinking there are thousands of qualified strength and conditioning coaches that would accept a fraction of what Anderson makes and won't make the incoming GM uneasy.

Probably.

The dynamic between an incoming GM and Brady is going to be weird.  For Buck and DD, Brady failed up, as I like to say, while they were here.  

Any GM interviewing for this process is going to have to figure out how Brady fits in and if they can co-exist and what Brady is going to be responsible for and how much input he'll have.  That'll be murky waters to navigate.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Probably.

The dynamic between an incoming GM and Brady is going to be weird.  For Buck and DD, Brady failed up, as I like to say, while they were here.  

Any GM interviewing for this process is going to have to figure out how Brady fits in and if they can co-exist and what Brady is going to be responsible for and how much input he'll have.  That'll be murky waters to navigate.  

My question is, will Brady stay within the confines the incoming GM/PBO sets for him?

22 minutes ago, theobird said:

Well stated.  I'd say he is very passionate about seeing the Orioles succeed and I admire him for that.  I think you would have to know more than most of us to actually have an opinion on Brady as a communicator or as a strength and conditioning coach.  I have no idea.  I do know that players and coaches haven't always spoken so highly of him.  

That said, if he is viewed as part of the three primary leaders...with Buck and DD, i would be very nervous about why he stayed and neither of the other two did.  But given that we heard different things about Buck and DD right up until they were gone, I think it would be prudent to see how this works out.  Weams asked the other day in a thread did anyone think that all three of Buck DD and Brady would be gone.  I was the only one to say yes.  

I felt that way because I believe if the "rebuild" starts coming off like a sophmoric frat stunt, MLB will have the reason it may be looking for to step in and be more forceful with the Orioles ownership plans.  The Orioles may still be terrible for years, but it better look like it's running a tight ship.  And I just cant see Brady having a seat unless he is in control.  Otherwise, the words about hiring someone from outside the organization and giving them full authority are meaningless.  If no one takes it and then Brady gets it, well, I wont like it, but at least he would have a well defined and accountable role... and at the end of the day, I would probably live with that...

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Brady is BFFs with the Angelos boys.

The harm now is that nobody with options is going to want to come here, knowing you have Brady lurking in the shadows on top of having to compete with Yankees and Red Sox.

35 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Brady is BFFs with the Angelos boys.

The harm now is that nobody with options is going to want to come here, knowing you have Brady lurking in the shadows on top of having to compete with Yankees and Red Sox.

This going to be a problem as long as Brady is with the team.  Even if the new GM has final decision making authority, Brady could easily tell the Angelos bWrothers he disagrees with a certain action.  And then you have ownership pushing back on a proposed trade or signing.

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Dan Duquette was an awkward disaster when it came to agents, players and staff. I think Brady Anderson is leaps and bounds better than Duquette in that regard.

I think that if Brady is kept on he needs to have a clearly defined job, even if it is just advisor to the new person in charge of baseball operations.  No real candidate for this position (let's just call it President) will accept this position when there is someone else that wields power that they can't control that can influence decisions of the entire organization.  If those decisions fail, then the President is responsible for those decisions he might not have had much input on.  I would much rather Brady man up and become President of baseball operations than to continue in this nebulous position where he has influence in many areas and doing all these different things (no one other than Brady knows all that he is doing) than continue in this quasi-advisor/man in the shadows role.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Dave Dombrowski was hired by Boston during the season but he already been fired by the Tigers earlier that month. The Tigers just promoted their asst GM. 

My point they could have hit the ground running instead of waiting.  

San Francisco and the Mets both have GM vacancies too.

Let's see how long we take in relation to them.  

I don't think it's a disaster if it takes several weeks, I think that is kind of standard in MLB.

I think people, with good reason, have been frustrated by years of bad ownership and now they are lookign for reasons to crap on the ownership.   Taking until Wednesday to fire them instead of Tuesday like the Twins did, oh, it's the end of the world, these guys are incompetent.

Take a deep breath and let them do what they are doing.   If the Mets and the Giants make hires and we're still sitting here spinning our wheels, THEN criticize them.

As for all this talk of how if Brady is still here it's a disaster... it's only a disaster if he has the influence with the owners (or with the new GM) that he had with Peter Angelos.   If they really put a baseball guy fully in charge of baseball, THAT person will decide whether to retain Brady, and what influence he will  have.   People saying that because he wasn't fired yesterday it means everything is a sham are being silly.   Was his contract up this month like DD & BS?   No need to fire him, the new owner can just delineate his responsibilites as he wishes.   And the fact that Peter Angelos respected Brady's opinion to the point where it made him overrule his other baseball people is pretty much moot now.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This going to be a problem as long as Brady is with the team.  Even if the new GM has final decision making authority, Brady could easily tell the Angelos bWrothers he disagrees with a certain action.  And then you have ownership pushing back on a proposed trade or signing.

It's the same dynamic that happens in office scenarios for us mortals / working slobs. Some teacher's pet who reports to no one in the chain really and has free reign ends up being a cancer in the organization. Makes me sick to my stomach that we can easily see this kind of thing and have had it corroborated in interviews after Chiti and Wallace left the organization. I think even Wieters was quoted in the big article about the perceived ickyness of this dual role kind of thing with Brady. 

Archived