Duquette is expected to be fired

Thato'sfan

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Per Roch

The Orioles could hire a president of baseball operations, as well as someone to inherit Duquette’s title. They also could choose to increase the role of vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson, perhaps changing his title.

The end is near. God help us.

wow, I am really shocked by this. Is there some substance to the team is for sale? My initial gut feeling is absolutely.

Why would the Os keep Duquette all season, and let him be responsible for trading controllable players leading up to the deadline, if we were going to fire him? I do not mind the move...if it was made months ago and the new GM was given the ability to make these calls. Sometimes I feel like this organization is run by an old opened bag of taco shells.

Mlb trade rumors...

7:10pm: The Orioles have announced that neither Duquette nor Showalter will be retained for the 2019 season. Director of player development Brian Graham will oversee baseball operations while the team conducts a search for an outside hire. He’s been with the team since 2007 and previously served as an interim GM for the Pirates as well.

“The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department,” the Orioles said in tonight’s press release. “Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community.”

3 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Why would the Os keep Duquette all season, and let him be responsible for trading controllable players leading up to the deadline, if we were going to fire him? I do not mind the move...if it was made months ago and the new GM was given the ability to make these calls. Sometimes I feel like this organization is run by an old opened bag of taco shells.

Wouldn't there be more choices in the offseason? I don't think teams typically fire their GMs midseason. Managers yes. 

I think this move had to be made. Man the whole makes me sad because I think of the passage of time that's happened the four years since Buck and Duq's zenith, the 2014 season which also was the year my niece was born. Now here we are four years later, Duq and Buck are gone and she starts Kindergarten next fall. I think Duquette and Buck had to go after this year. I just hope we make the right hires. I'm certain our next manager won't be the next great O's manager but I'm hoping he will at least be a bridge to a successful one and maybe in a few years, we build up a perennial contender for the 20's. I just hate how this all ahd to end because I really liked these guys. I guess it was because they are around my age and I could relate to them a lot and it was so fun after 14 years of wilderness to see the O's competitive. I wish Duquette well in the next chapter of his life. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-announce-transition-in-baseball-operations-leadership/c-297007236

The Orioles announced Wednesday that Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Dan Duquette and field manager Buck Showalter will not return to the organization in 2019. Duquette and Showalter are currently completing contracts that conclude at the end of the month.

The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department. Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community.

While Director of Scouting Gary Rajsich, Vice President of Baseball Operations Brady Anderson, and Director of Player Development Brian Graham currently remain under contract, Graham will handle day-to-day oversight of Baseball Operations department in the interim period. Graham joined the Orioles organization in 2007 after having previously served as interim General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On behalf of the club, the Angelos family, and partners, spokesperson Greg Bader issued the following statement:

"With the conclusion of the 2018 season, the club has decided to reorganize its Baseball Operations department under new executive management. We thank Dan and Buck for their many contributions over the past several years. Under their leadership, prior to the 2018 season and for six consecutive years, the club delivered competitive teams playing meaningful baseball into September, achieved three postseason appearances and came within four games of a World Series appearance, and won more games than any other American League club during a period spanning five of those six enjoyable seasons.

"Everyone in Birdland and across our organization will cherish these memories, and we all join in thanking Dan and Buck for their contributions.

"As we look forward to the next chapter of Orioles Baseball, we are grateful for the ongoing support of our fans. While this year has been a challenge, the organization is determined to grow and change in ways that will ultimately lead us back to the postseason."

The bolded sections makes me feel slightly less nervous about Brady getting the gig. Slightly.

For now, at least they have someone in Graham who kinda' knows what to do on a day-to-day basis.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So Clancy the beer vendor was not credited with this statement Not the way you handle two people who have been with the Orioles a long time Not professional. 

The Sun published their statement

With the conclusion of the 2018 season, the club has decided to reorganize its Baseball Operations department under new executive management,” Orioles spokesperson Greg Bader said on behalf of the club’s ownership group. “We thank Dan and Buck for their many contributions over the past several years. Under their leadership, prior to the 2018 season and for six consecutive years, the club delivered competitive teams playing meaningful baseball into September, achieved three postseason appearances and came within four games of a World Series appearance, and won more games than any other American League club during a period spanning five of those six enjoyable seasons.

“Everyone in Birdland and across our organization will cherish these memories, and we all join in thanking Dan and Buck for their contributions. … As we look forward to the next chapter of Orioles Baseball, we are grateful for the ongoing support of our fans. While this year has been a challenge, the organization is determined to grow and change in ways that will ultimately lead us back to the postseason."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-duquette-fired-20181003-story.html

19 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I think it would be extremely difficult to hire someone from outside the organization mid season and ask him to make significant roster moves when he doesn't really know the players in the O's organization.  Once this team fell apart early on they probably decided to make Dan feel like he could be a big part of the "new direction"  to keep him totally invested in making credible trades.  They likely had Brady in the background making sure that all moves met his approval also before it was signed off on. Got to remember this team was supposed to compete this year.  It was just an awkward situation for everyone with all those expiring contracts. 

Archived