Baltimore Baseball: Some Facts and Thoughts on the New Executive

weams

6 hours ago, panick said:

Do you think that the Angelos twins will rein in Anderson and make sure he only takes care of a rigid list of responsibilities? If they don't then who cares who gets hired to be the top executive.

It doesn't matter.   If they give the new guy true authority, what can Brady do?

He doesn't have magical powers.   All he has had was the respect and ear of ownership.   Peter trusted him and listened to his opinion even if it differed from Duquette or other folks.   And then Peter would order people to do something based on his trust of Brady's opinion.

If the new executive truly has authority and the owners stay out of it, beyond giving him a budget, Brady won't be able to have any influence.   He doesn't have hypnotic powers.   All he had was the ear of ownership, and ownership meddled and micromanaged at the level of baseball decisions.  

What do you think he's going to do, go out own his own and sign a free agent?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

It doesn't matter.   If they give the new guy true authority, what can Brady do?

He doesn't have magical powers.   All he has had was the respect and ear of ownership.   Peter trusted him and listened to his opinion even if it differed from Duquette or other folks.   And then Peter would order people to do something based on his trust of Brady's opinion.

If the new executive truly has authority and the owners stay out of it, beyond giving him a budget, Brady won't be able to have any influence.   He doesn't have hypnotic powers.   All he had was the ear of ownership, and ownership meddled and micromanaged at the level of baseball decisions.  

What do you think he's going to do, go out own his own and sign a free agent?

Apparently you did not read my question, but the bolded part of your post is another way of asking my question.

I asked if anyone thinks that the Angelos' would make it clear to Anderson that he has a list of responsibilities and is not to be involved in matters not on his list. He doesn't have to go out 'own' his own and sign a free agent to be interfering with someone else's responsibilities. 

11 hours ago, panick said:

He doesn't have to go out 'own' his own and sign a free agent to be interfering with someone else's responsibilities. 

I think you are way out of line here.

Not once, did I read in any single media outlet, that Brady did this on his own authority.

How do you know, Brady wasn't told, go visit Free Agent XXXXX and see what you can do to get him signed and your contract limit numbers are XXXXXXXX?

23 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

We’ll see how much power the new GM truly maintains.  If Brady is retained, I will question that power.  If he is let go, I might get giddy!  

No experienced person with a good track record will take this job without being able to do what they want with Brady. Hence, we will probably get an inexperienced person.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think you are way out of line here.

Not once, did I read in any single media outlet, that Brady did this on his own authority.

How do you know, Brady wasn't told, go visit Free Agent XXXXX and see what you can do to get him signed and your contract limit numbers are XXXXXXXX?

So I'm out of line because you apparently are not comprehending what I have written?

You will never be able to find one time when I even hinted that Anderson ever signed a free agent. Look at the last sentence in SteveA's response to my post. I was responding to that and said that Anderson doesn't have to do something like that to be interfering with someone else's responsibilities. In the article about Anderson and his growing influence with the O's, he was specifically mentioned by the prior pitching coach as a problem. 

Anderson having influence with Peter Angelos was a problem. I raised the question if anyone thought the Angelos' sons would make it clear to Anderson that he has certain responsibilities and is not to meddle in others. Since no one has answered my question, I guess it is sadly going to be more of the same with the Orioles.

1 hour ago, panick said:

Anderson having influence with Peter Angelos was a problem. I raised the question if anyone thought the Angelos' sons would make it clear to Anderson that he has certain responsibilities and is not to meddle in others. Since no one has answered my question, I guess it is sadly going to be more of the same with the Orioles.

We know Buck had influence with PA and Buck didn't agree with Brady on working directly with players outside of Buck's direction. IMO Brady has John's ear and that is Brady's avenue into front office decision making influence. If so, that is unlikely to change no matter who they hire.

Interviews have begun. I can’t write it with 100 percent certainty, but that’s the sense from multiple sources.

And it’s John and Louis Angelos conducting the interviews. No third or fourth or 100th voices, like in the past.

Here’s what I’m still trying to glean: Who is being interviewed?

So far, the Orioles have done a solid hush job on that. There’ve been no leaks, locally or nationally. It’s not for a lack of trying. But I haven’t found anyone yet who has met with the Angelos brothers — or will admit it, anyway. Or any teams that have granted permission for an executive to be interviewed.

Here’s one thing I have discovered, though. There’s no shortage of interest in this job. Sure, there is apprehension. It’s the Orioles, the worst team in baseball and a club that has a reputation of making decisions by committee.

But like I’ve written in the past, there are only 30 of these jobs, and only a handful become available each year. Top candidates might not jump at the spot, but it seems like most are willing to listen. And the likely sales pitch is that there is a new day dawning. That the Angelos brothers are going to hand over the keys to this ignition and let the most qualified individual chart the course.

Now there is a surprise.  No Brady in the interviews.

I hope they wait until the Astros are finished for the season so they can interview Mike Elias.   I am not saying he is the guy but I would like to see him interviewed and let the chips fall were they may.  Elias has been mentioned as a possible GM for the Giants also.

On 10/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, theocean said:

The Washington Post did an article on Adam Schefter and how he gets all his scoops. I assume that Rosenthal probably works the same way. It is similar to how Peter Gammons is portrayed in the film Moneyball:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/adam-schefter-is-nfl-reporting-machine/2014/09/02/93e009f2-32cc-11e4-9f4d-24103cb8b742_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7be2bb1ae6d7

I think the reason you see the national writers breaking stories before the local beat writers is because the national writers have information they can provide in return. The local beat writers likely don't have that type of currency to offer.

Buck did a great job or making the local media think he was their friend. They rarely if ever challenged him and they loved starting him off with softball questions. Heck, they are still writing things in support of him and some seem to have taken his firing almost personally. 

The local media has never really been much to criticize the Orioles outside of a few Schmuck or Stan the Fan (Press Box) articles here and there. I've tried to be fair by never picking sides or getting too close to anyone, and I've never been afraid to criticize anyone. 

Just now, wildcard said:

I hope they wait until the Astros are finished for the season so they can interview Mike Elias.   I am not saying he is the guy but I would like to see him interviewed and let the chips fall were they may.  Elias has been mentioned as a possible GM for the Giants also.

I like what I’m hearing.  No committee approach and no twiddling of thumbs.  I suspect the new GM will be in place shortly after the World Series is over.  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I too would like the Angelos brothers to interview front office people from winning organizations. If Elias is one that would be fine.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I too would like the Angelos brothers to interview front office people from winning organizations. If Elias is one that would be fine.

Of the guys I have read about I like Elias and Ariel Sawdaye the best.

Elisa raised in Alexandria Va.  Went to Science and Technology  magnet high school Thomas Jefferson which is highly regarded in the area.   Pitched there and at Yale.   St Louis Cards Scout.   I have a lot of respect for the Card organization.   Then Head of Scouting for the Astro before he became Assistance GM.  Credited with helping collect there fine group of young players.

Sawdays is a Baltimore guy who graduated from U of Md with a information system degree.   Oversaw scouting of the Red Sox draft ofBetts, Bradley and Benintendi as Asst director of Amateur Scouting   Now Senior VP and Asst GM for the Diamondbacks where he oversees amateur and international scouting. 

That is my top 2 for now.  Both  have work with some of the best organizations in baseball.

Archived