Sun: Ripken files suit against Aberdeen

weams

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Did you grow up in Aberdeen? I did. Many promises made by both sides have gone on to be broken. Keep worshiping Saint Cal though. 

Why did you not keep the government from doing that deal with the Ripkens.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

41 minutes ago, weams said:

After almost 30 years of one marriage, I don't get the idea of marriage a second time.
Some people never learn.?

On 10/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

When I first heard Cal announcing in the postseason in October of 2012, I thought that he was pretty good in the Orioles' one-game playoff game against the Rangers (I'll never forget his very quiet murmuring of  "Catch it" on a fly ball which was the least out of the game in the Orioles' win that night.)

Then in the 5-game playoff series against the Yankees, I suspect that he went WAY out of his way to compliment the Yankees and diss the Orioles in order to show that he wasn't being biased toward his team in their intra-divisional showdown. If this was indeed the case, I understand his reasoning, but he woefully miscalculated the way that it would turn out.

I'm not excusing Ripken Jr's behavior in that series (it was nauseating), I'm simply offering a possible explanation as to why he seemed to be crooning over the Yankees and undermining (and at times almost berating) the Orioles.

o

The O’s messed up during the 2014 ALCS. Ripken should’ve thrown out the first pitch. It’s fun to pile on Cal as being a jerk, how the hell did Cal not throw out a first game playoff pitch?  Embarrassing 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

When I first heard Cal announcing in the postseason in October of 2012, I thought that he was pretty good in the Orioles' one-game playoff game against the Rangers (I'll never forget his very quiet murmuring of  "Catch it" on a fly ball which was the least out of the game in the Orioles' win that night.)

Then in the 5-game playoff series against the Yankees, I suspect that he went WAY out of his way to compliment the Yankees and diss the Orioles in order to show that he wasn't being biased toward his team in their intra-divisional showdown. If this was indeed the case, I understand his reasoning, but he woefully miscalculated the way that it would turn out.

I'm not excusing Ripken Jr's behavior in that series (it was nauseating), I'm simply offering a possible explanation as to why he seemed to be crooning over the Yankees and undermining (and at times almost berating) the Orioles.

o

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Os messed up during the 2014 ALCS. Ripken shouldve thrown out the first pitch. Its fun to pile on Cal as being a jerk, how the hell did Cal not throw out a first game playoff pitch ???  Embarrassing.

o

I would've had no problem with Cal throwing out the first pitch for the 2014 ALCS, or anything else like that.

My critique was strictly in regard to Cal's commentary for the 5-game series between the Orioles and the Yankees in October of 2012, in which it appeared to me that he went overboard in trying not to show bias toward his lifetime team.

The Orioles losing that series (and the solo home run in which Nate McLouth was robbed of in the 5th and deciding game of said series) bothered me a whole lot more than anything that Cal said from the booth during those 5 games.

o

19 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

That makes one of us.  You didn't answer mine. 
Aberdeen may have given the Ripkens a very good deal, but the fact remains they did so willingly.   That's on the city council, not the Ripkens.  

You can't sue for a broken promise without a contract. Aberdeen negotiated under good faith with Cal "the hometown hero" not Cal "the businessman"

Yes that's on them. Again...broken promises on both sides. I never said the town wasn't at fault. But Cal us far from innocent in this, and to sue is classless on his part. 

Cal has been trying to get out of this deal for years. It has nothing to do with maintenance issues. And the fact that a stadium isn't allowed to be used for many other non baseball activities is a joke. It could bring much needed funds to the town. Ripken would never give on that, and unfortunately he had the town by the throats.

17 hours ago, weams said:

Why did you not keep the government from doing that deal with the Ripkens.

That's a political issue. Can't talk about that here....correct?

In all seriousness, the people were led to believe it would benefit the town...by BOTH parties.

It didnt.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:18 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I still get pissed thinking about the “sorry Brooksie” comment.

I agree Ripken was likely over compensating in 2012 Yankees series in an effort to avoid being called biased towards the Orioles.  

This was an unforgivable sin for an Orioles legend to say that about another Orioles legend. There was no reason for it, and he never apologized for it. 

55 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This was an unforgivable sin for an Orioles legend to say that about another Orioles legend. There was no reason for it, and he never apologized for it. 

What do you mean?  He said "Sorry Brooksie." ;)

For me the worst part of that series was when Teixiera made an error and he went on for minutes about how it wasn't his fault, there was a subtle spin to the ball, oh it must be how the grass was cut and blah blah blah.  Meanwhile the replay showed Teixiera just missing an easily playable ball.

He was an obnoxious jackass the entire series.

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

You can't sue for a broken promise without a contract. Aberdeen negotiated under good faith with Cal "the hometown hero" not Cal "the businessman"

Yes that's on them. Again...broken promises on both sides. I never said the town wasn't at fault. But Cal us far from innocent in this, and to sue is classless on his part. 

Cal has been trying to get out of this deal for years. It has nothing to do with maintenance issues. And the fact that a stadium isn't allowed to be used for many other non baseball activities is a joke. It could bring much needed funds to the town. Ripken would never give on that, and unfortunately he had the town by the throats.

Wow, that is insane.  The season is 3 months long.  I always wondered why they didn't have more concerts/events. 

Archived