Post All Star Game Thoughts

Mike B

Just a few thoughts while thinking that George Sherrill did Baltimore and himself proud with his excellent performance.

1. Even with its shortcomings on picking who participates the MLB All Star game is the only one worth watching out of the major sports. Football should not even have one and the NBA players make a joke of thiers with all the show boating.

2. Home Field Advantage should not be decided in an All Star Game.

3. We are lucky to have Brian Roberts. Forget his offense for a minute and consider how much better he is than Uggla (did he ever glove a ball cleanly) and Kinsler defensively. Kinsler is a great hitter but he has little range.

4. On the negative side of that watching Russell Martin play defense made me realize how awful Ramon is behind the plate.

5. The managers of the All Star game are too worried about the politics of who plays and when. in deference to Mariano, Francona wasted this years best closer. KROD. It is hard to be to hard on Francona because he was running the risk of pulling a Cito/Mussina deal on Mariano. In retrospect he should have just thrown Rivera in the 9th and saved KRod, but hindsight is always 20-20.

6. It was great to see the players on both sides standing late in the game. They cared about who won.

It was worth staying up to 1:30 AM and I am hoping that Sherrill's effort brings back any confidence and trade value that he may have lost in the last 10 days. Way to go George. Had the AL won in 14 you may have been the MVP.

Just a few thoughts while thinking that George Sherrill did Baltimore and himself proud with his excellent performance.

1. Even with its shortcomings on picking who participates the MLB All Star game is the only one worth watching out of the major sports. Football should not even have one and the NBA players make a joke of thiers with all the show boating.

3. We are lucky to have Brian Roberts. Forget his offense for a minute and consider how much better he is than Uggla (did he ever glove a ball cleanly) and Kinsler defensively. Kinsler is a great hitter but he has little range.

4. On the negative side of that watching Russell Martin play defense made me realize how awful Ramon is behind the plate.

5. The managers of the All Star game are too worried about the politics of who plays and when. in deference to Mariano, Francona wasted this years best closer. KROD. It is hard to be to hard on Francona because he was running the risk of pulling a Cito/Mussina deal on Mariano. In retrospect he should have just thrown Rivera in the 9th and saved KRod, but hindsight is always 20-20.

6. It was great to see the players on both sides standing late in the game. They cared about who won.

It was worth staying up to 1:30 AM and I am hoping that Sherrill's effort brings back any confidence and trade value that he may have lost in the last 10 days. Way to go George. Had the AL won in 14 you may have been the MVP.

For me the only negative was Volquez and that pitch to Manny. This isn't celebrity softball- not cool. And fix your hat, it's crooked. That little stuff just really grates me.

Outside of that...one of the all time best.

For me the only negative was Volquez and that pitch to Manny. This isn't celebrity softball- not cool. And fix your hat, it's crooked. That little stuff just really grates me.

We must be around the same age. I thought the same thing.

I didn't see it. Could you elaborate?

McCarver is past awful. Very good point.

Hey, I'm used to him. He is what he is.

What drives me nuts is the idea that Joe Buck is a good announcer. I think the guy is just an empty suit. On the one hand he has no personality, but on the other he has no judgment about what matters. Why this guy has national prominence is beyond me. I think he's there because of his daddy...

Hey, I'm used to him. He is what he is.

What drives me nuts is the idea that Joe Buck is a good announcer. I think the guy is just an empty suit. On the one hand he has no personality, but on the other he has no judgment about what matters. Why this guy has national prominence is beyond me. I think he's there because of his daddy...

I think you have the answer. His dad was one of the best. The problem is that when both make a point (i.e. Kazmir should not be pitching) they never let it go. they nearly ignored the point Sherrill, Soria and Webb had the same issue.

Seeing how well Sherrill did with Dioner Navarro made me realize how awful Ramon's game calling abilities have gotten.

I didn't see it. Could you elaborate?

EV lobbed one over Manny's head in "message pitch" kind of way, but slow enough to be playful. There were guys on the bench laughing, so maybe others were in on the joke. The only problem was, as I said, THIS IS THE ALL-STAR GAME. I hate to be a buzz kill at an exhibition game, but I thought it was disrespectful.

You can make a case that Roberts is only behind Utley in terms of all MLB 2B'men. Pedroia has a higher average and more HRs but BR has him beat in several other areas.

That was Zambrano not Volquez.

Thank you for saying it before I could post here. That wasn't Volquez who did that and I don't think he would do something like that either, especially in his All Star game debut. I was about to go off about this but now I don't have to so yay for that, LOL :mwahaha:

That was Zambrano not Volquez.

You are correct. Also I thought it might have been a curve that just slipped out and because its Manny at the plate it just makes it funny.

I doubt Zambrano did that on purpose and he almost got a strike out of it cause Manny's bat was right there.

Archived