Orioles Reach Out to Me Regarding Plans

weams

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bobmc said:

Yeah - we like you just where you are!  I as s u me that @Tony-OH will extend your "contract" right?

Yeah, I'll be sticking around here. How much I'll be writing might decrease for a while, I've got twins on the way, but I'll be doing what I can. 

Maybe 5-10 years ago before I got settled down and started a career, I'd have tried my hand at scouting, but it's way too much time on the road and the salary isn't tempting. It'd be a cool job, but it's a hard job, without much job security, probably not the best thing for someone with young kids at home. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wonder when DD would’ve sent out the first letter to season ticket holders if he were president of the team like TOR offered him in 2014-2015?  

Ticket sales would have been part of his job duties. Now he’s back on the street because of big Pete. 

More likely he's back on the street because of 47-115. ?‍♂️

19 hours ago, bird watcher said:

Avoiding the pink elephant in the room.  That seems like a perfectly fine letter to write AFTER addressing the direction the franchise will take going forward. 

Intelligent run organizations do that. Not the O's. 

41 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I'll be sticking around here. How much I'll be writing might decrease for a while, I've got twins on the way, but I'll be doing what I can. 

Maybe 5-10 years ago before I got settled down and started a career, I'd have tried my hand at scouting, but it's way too much time on the road and the salary isn't tempting. It'd be a cool job, but it's a hard job, without much job security, probably not the best thing for someone with young kids at home. 

Been there and done that. I had multiple opportunities over the years to do scouting as a full-time job, but it just wasn't a lifestyle I was willing to take on, especially for the pay. I have a lot of respect for the guys that do it full-time. It's not an easy lifestyle, you are always on the road, and more times than not, your guys don't get taken and you feel like you did all that work for nothing.

It's tempting for sure, and I almost bit a few years ago, but every time I thought the timing my be right, the opportunities weren't there and vice versa. At the end of the day, maybe if someone will have me when I'm ready to "retire" I can do something more formal, but for now I enjoy scouting for the Hangout.

14 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Wonder if Tony-OH would ever be considered for a role in the scouting department. 

They have my number. Haha. Not a chance though. Baseball is all about who you know and your pedigree and although I know and have a mutual respect with a lot of people in baseball, I've been publicly critical of the Angelos family's ownership style and that has always hurt me even when I've been directly told guys wanted to bring me in. 

Plus, I make a pretty good living outside of the Hangout and my lifestyle is pretty good right now with all of my kids done with college. Although my dream has always been to work in the baseball operations side of professional baseball, I've made the conclusion that ship has sailed for me and I'm ok with that.

Things happen for a reason and although I've been asked to interview for a scouting position (I graciously turned it down) in another organization a few years ago, I believe God has me on another path.

Plus, I'm certain guys that are way more qualified than me will be available for the new Baseball Operations team. Hopefully the new President has a strong network of people that work well together as a team.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

You are best right here. 

Archived