Why do we need a President and a "GM"?

scOtt

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So Roch is like a living breathing infomercial for the team? Then why do we even pay attention to him? 

Yupp. Why bother taking someone seriously who only tells us what the team wants us to know. By then the national guys have broken it anyhow.

Roch is basically the Orioles PR guy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

RichDubroffMLB twitter account has also had most of this and even some names before Roch.But Roch's article last week on why the Orioles did not sign any of the Cuban free agents was a work of art.Orioles pretty much blameless and never once mentioned in the article that the Orioles got extra money from the Gausman trade .

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/lingering-thoughts-on-international-intentions.html

He was also on the fan, and defended the Orioles sticking to a budget and can't afford to go all in on international guys. Too bad only the rich franchises like the Marlins and Rays can.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles are a black hole right now. Either they haven't interviewed president candidates or they are being amazingly quiet, which is on par with the way they have operated for a while. There have been relatively few leaks from the Orioles for a while now. 

It has been reported that the only two people involved in the President search are John and Lou Angelos.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I also have questions about this. It seems Duquette basically did both, but it seems to me they're just setting themselves up for having 3 cooks in the kitchen again: President, GM, and Brady. 

I don't see this at all. I believe one person will be solely responsible for baseball ops. And that person will not need to make any phone calls. Simply work within a budget. Small as it will be. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So Roch is like a living breathing infomercial for the team? Then why do we even pay attention to him? 

Roch's a beat reporter. He's not a hard hitting journalist. He's gonna be what he's gonna be. I'd look to Rosenthal, Nightengale, Olney, and other national writers with sources inside the Warehouse for the juicy stuff.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

Roch's a beat reporter. He's not a hard hitting journalist. He's gonna be what he's gonna be. I'd look to Rosenthal, Nightengale, Olney, and other national writers with sources inside the Warehouse for the juicy stuff.

Who are their sources in the warehouse?

2 hours ago, weams said:

Andy MacPhail did. The idea of someone ultimately responsible for all baseball matters appeals to ownership these days in the MLB. 

The only reason Andy MacPhail was named the President of Baseball Operations is that Mike Flanagan already held the Executive Vice President title and Angelos didn’t want to fire him, so Angelos gave Andy a higher title.    I don’t think there were any functional differences between Andy’s responsibilities and Dan Duquette’s.   And none of those three ever had “GM” in their titles.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The only reason Andy MacPhail was named the President of Baseball Operations is that Mike Flanagan already held the Executive Vice President title and Angelos didn’t want to fire him, so Angelos gave Andy a higher title.    I don’t think there were any functional differences between Andy’s responsibilities and Dan Duquette’s.   And none of those three ever had “GM” in their titles.

That may be true. But I always felt Andy had more ultimate control than Dan ever did. Especially since Buck hired Dan. 

It's semantics, IMO.  It doesn't mean anything.  President, GM, whatever.  Just f'ing have someone that runs the show, calls all the shots, can keep Brady at bay, flip the Angelos brothers the bird and tell them "I'm gonna do it my way, just gimme a budget."  If he wants to be called the Flying Spaghetti Monster of the B&O Warehouse and Grand High Poobah of Base Ball Decisions," fine.  Just make the right hire and get out of the way and give him whatever title he wants.  

It's stupid.  It's taking forever.  The Orioles trying to figure out who should be President and who should be GM is like someone worrying whether or not they should get a really nice sound system for their '81 Pinto.  

19 minutes ago, weams said:

That may be true. But I always felt Andy had more ultimate control than Dan ever did. Especially since Buck hired Dan. 

Buck was consulted about hiring Dan; I wouldn’t say he hired him.   And as we know, Buck wasn’t Andy’s first choice, he got overruled by the owners.    

I do think that Dan had less authority than Andy the last few years after the Toronto episode.    But it wasn’t because of his job title.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck was consulted about hiring Dan; I wouldn’t say he hired him.   And as we know, Buck wasn’t Andy’s first choice, he got overruled by the owners.    

I do think that Dan had less authority than Andy the last few years after the Toronto episode.    But it wasn’t because of his job title.

Could be.  I never thought Peter hung on Dan's every word like he did Andy. MacPhail shaped the Angelos mind in many ways. 

Archived