Baseball Prospectus: Top 10

weams

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, sounds about right.

Vlad still doesn't have a defensive position.

Yeah ,,,,Vlad has 1B or Rf written all over him.....If he hits anywhere near .381 with power no one will care. Ryan is not even in the same zip code. So his defense is more important IMO ...Plus the O's have the Chris Davis problem and Mancini after Trumbo leaves.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah ,,,,Vlad has 1B or Rf written all over him.....If he hits anywhere near .381 with power no one will care. Ryan is not even in the same zip code. So his defense is more important IMO ...Plus the O's have the Chris Davis problem and Mancini after Trumbo leaves.

My point was that if the hit tool is good enough a guy can still be a prospect.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, sounds about right.

Vlad still doesn't have a defensive position.

I've watched Vlad at 3B, I see a Miguel Cabrera positional arc. He's better than Cabrera at 3B now, 45 glove there, but he'll grow out of it quickly. 

His bat though isn't being over-hyped, you can be as exuberant as you'd like praising it and you probably won't be wrong. He already has above average MLB level plate discipline/zone judgement and that will only improve. He already can hit the ball harder than all but a handful of MLB players. He has double plus bat speed, double plus feel to hit, 80 raw power.  If he figures out how to consistently lift the ball, it's going to be absurd. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I've watched Vlad at 3B, I see a Miguel Cabrera positional arc. He's better than Cabrera at 3B now, 45 glove there, but he'll grow out of it quickly. 

His bat though isn't being over-hyped, you can be as exuberant as you'd like praising it and you probably won't be wrong. He already has above average MLB level plate discipline/zone judgement and that will only improve. He already can hit the ball harder than all but a handful of MLB players. He has double plus bat speed, double plus feel to hit, 80 raw power.  If he figures out how to consistently lift the ball, it's going to be absurd. 

What a wonderful thought...

20 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn't suggesting that he couldn't get himself to the point where he could play third.

Just that he isn't there now.

As good as the bat is he could still use some time in the minors to shore up the glove.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t usually like feeling sorry for myself, but it’s tough reading this: better than most MLBers, double plus and 80 everything, and thinking “Oh yeah, we had our chance too, how’d that work out when we had the #1 prospect in baseball...oh he ended up with a 739 OPS for us.”

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

I don’t usually like feeling sorry for myself, but it’s tough reading this: better than most MLBers, double plus and 80 everything, and thinking “Oh yeah, we had our chance too, how’d that work out when we had the #1 prospect in baseball...oh he ended up with a 739 OPS for us.”

Ben McDonald wasn't expected to be that good of a hitter.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's a list folks. Everyone has them nowadays. There is also a lot of regurgitated reporting that goes into a lot of these lists. Let's just say we have a different view on how to do these lists and our top ten is much different than this one. 4 of those players did not even make our top 10.

Saying that, it's more about the write ups than the numbers. I'm not knocking any list, but I I'm happy as usual to have our list stand up to anyone's on thoroughness of analysis and the amount of opinions taken into consideration.

Tate, Ortiz, and Encarnacion for sure.  Hard to justify Encarnacion even sniffing a top ten given his horrid K/BB ratio at the lowest level of the minors.   

Fourth one's gotta be Akin or McKenna, which comes as a surprise but I'm not sure who else it would be.  My guess is you have Ryan McKenna at 11.  

Archived