Duke looks scary good (2018-19 version)

Frobby

In between watching election results, I watched a bit of Duke’s 118-84 shellacking of Kentucky last night.    OMG, it looked like they were playing a Division II school.   Very talented players, but very unselfish and moved the ball around spectacularly.    Obviously you can never draw too many conclusions from a game played November 6, and I’m sure Kentucky will improve from here, but Duke looks like a force to be reckoned with.

o

Duke won their first 3 games of the season by at least 20 points for the first time since the 2010-11 season.

2010-11

Princeton llllllllllll 97-60

Miami (OH) llllllll 79-45

Colgate llllllllllllllllll 110-58

http://www.shrpsports.com/cb/teamseas.php?link=Y&team=Duke&season=2011

2018-19

Kentucky lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 111-84

Army llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 94-72

Colgate lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 84-46

http://www.shrpsports.com/cb/teamseas.php?link=Y&team=Duke&season=2019

o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

o

(vs. Louisville, 2/12)

Duke was trailing by 23 points with just over 9 minutes left to play. 

They went on a 35-10 run to  win the game by 2 points.

This was Duke's biggest comeback in Coach Krzyzewski's tenure (1980 - Present.)

o

21 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. Louisville, 2/12)

Duke was trailing by 23 points with just over 9 minutes left to play. 

They went on a 35-10 run to  win the game by 2 points.

This was Duke's biggest comeback in Coach Krzyzewski's tanure (1980 - Present.)

o

I turned off the game in disgust when the score was 54-34.    I was absolutely shocked to open my morning paper and saw they’d won.  

o

(vs. North Carolina, 2/20)

Less than a minute into the game, Zion Williamson's sneaker gave way and exploded (literally), and he subsequently twisted the knee on his other leg trying to keep his balance.

Fortunately for him he has been diagnosed with only a mild right-knee sprain, so he will presumably be able to come back at some point this season.

Zion Williamson Injured, as Duke Falls to UNC

(By Steve Wiseman)

https://www.heraldsun.com/sports/article226088195.html

Image result for Zion Williamson injury GIF

o

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 11:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. North Carolina, 2/20)

Less than a minute into the game, Zion Williamson's sneaker gave way and exploded (literally), and he subsequently twisted the knee on his other leg trying to keep his balance.

Fortunately for him he has been diagnosed with only a mild right-knee sprain, so he will presumably be able to come back at some point this season.

Zion Williamson Injured, as Duke Falls to UNC

(By Steve Wiseman)

https://www.heraldsun.com/sports/article226088195.html

Image result for Zion Williamson injury GIF

o

o

(3 WEEKS LATER)

In his first game back since severely twisting his knee, Williamson went 13-for-13 from the field in a quarterfinal win over Syracuse ........ and since he went 6-for-6 against against North Carolina State in his last game prior to the injury, Williamson in now 19-for-19 in his last 19 shots from the field ........ that is one shy of the ACC record set by Alaa Abdelnaby, who made 20 consecutive shots from the field while playing for Duke during the 1988-89 season.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/03/duke-mens-basketball-zion-williamson-near-perfect-in-return-acc-tournament

Spectacular game tonight living up to the hype of the Duke-Carolina rivalry.    This one could have gone either way but Duke eked it out 74-73 behind a 31-point effort from Zion Williamson, including the game-winning basket.    Carolina had the last shot but missed a well-defended jumper and a tip attempt.   Fantastic game, and both teams should be a tough out in the NCAA tournament.   

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Spectacular game tonight living up to the hype of the Duke-Carolina rivalry.    This one could have gone either way but Duke eked it out 74-73 behind a 31-point effort from Zion Williamson, including the game-winning basket.    Carolina had the last shot but missed a well-defended jumper and a tip attempt.   Fantastic game, and both teams should be a tough out in the NCAA tournament.   

The ACC Final Four was probably made of better teams on average than the NCAA Final Four is going to be. ?

• Upvote 1

o

I'm glad that my beloved Tar Heels showed that they were capable of beating Duke with Zion Williamson on the floor, even though they lost the game.

With Virginia's loss to Florida State combined with Duke's win over North Carolina, a #1 seed could be on the line for Duke in the Blue Devils' championship game against the Seminoles today.

o

21 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I'm glad that my beloved Tar Heels showed that they were capable of beating Duke with Zion Williamson on the floor, even though they lost the game.

With Virginia's loss to Florida State combined with Duke's win over North Carolina, a #1 seed could be on the line for Duke in the Blue Devils' championship game against the Seminoles today.

With UNC and Duke showing themselves as equals on Friday night and Kentucky losing to Tennessee yesterday, I think it's still conceivable they could give all three of UVA, Duke, and UNC #1 seeds.

I think UVA and Duke have them pretty much locked, along the Gonzaga, and I'd guess the fourth is a conversation between UNC and, pending today's results, Tennessee and Michigan State.