Luke’s 2018 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are any of the available players through the Rule 5 draft 2018 All-Star players at AA or AAA besides Cervenka?

I don’t know, but that certainly would not be my criterion for making a Rule 5 choice.  Minor league all star teams are littered with guys who are too old to really be considered prospects.   Heck, Garabez Rosa has been an Eastern League all star three times, as well as league MVP, and yet we have never protected him and he’s gone unclaimed for years.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know, but that certainly would not be my criterion for making a Rule 5 choice.  Minor league all star teams are littered with guys who are too old to really be considered prospects.   Heck, Garabez Rosa has been an Eastern League all star three times, as well as league MVP, and yet we have never protected him and he’s gone unclaimed for years.    

The biggest crime of the Buck era was not giving this guy a single AB during the worst Orioles season in recorded human history. I mean, you can't throw this guy health care for life for his loyalty? 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The biggest crime of the Buck era was not giving this guy a single AB during the worst Orioles season in recorded human history. I mean, you can't throw this guy health care for life for his loyalty? 

Why are you putting the decision not to call up Rosa on Buck?    That’s Duquette’s call.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why are you putting the decision not to call up Rosa on Buck?    That’s Duquette’s call.

I guess I assume Buck had more control over his 25-man than most managers. But you're right, that was mostly a shorthand way of saying the Buck/Dan era. 

In defense of that decision, there was no real baseball reason to call him up, but surely an AB somewhere would have been a nice story. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cervenka played 2018 at a baseball age of 25.   Rosa was an Eastern League All Star at 27.  And Rosa has never had a defined position.  He is more of a utility player.

I think being a recent All-Star is an achievement that stands out.  Then the player has to be looked at for his fitness to help a major league team.  

Age depends on the position and the circumstances.    Catchers often that longer to develop because it is a tough position to learn.   Branden Kline is not Rule 5 eligible because he was put on the major league roster.  But he is a 27 year old minor leaguer.  But he is also a 2nd rounder who was injured and  had a good 2018 with two quality pitches.   He probably makes the majors in 2019 at 27 years old.

I think the whole picture has to be looked at but being a All-Star can make a Rule 5 guy stand out.

I wonder if there are other players that where 2018 All-Star available in the Rule 5 draft this year?

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I assume Buck had more control over his 25-man than most managers. But you're right, that was mostly a shorthand way of saying the Buck/Dan era. 

In defense of that decision, there was no real baseball reason to call him up, but surely an AB somewhere would have been a nice story. 

If you think about it, that’s a crazy generous benefit.   I’ve been working for the same law firm for 36 years, and am a partner in the firm, but my health care benefits evaporate the minute I leave.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you think about it, that’s a crazy generous benefit.   I’ve been working for the same law firm for 36 years, and am a partner in the firm, but my health care benefits evaporate the minute I leave.    

Oh absolutely. It's wild, but MLB can more than afford it, and it's a nice way to reward these guys who may forfeit schooling and normal-people job experience and spend their vital job-experience years toiling away in the minor leagues, only to be released as a 31 year old. 

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cervenka played 2018 at a baseball age of 25.   Rosa was an Eastern League All Star at 27.  And Rosa has never had a defined position.  He is more of a utility player.

I think being a recent All-Star is an achievement that stands out.  Then the player has to be looked at for his fitness to help a major league team.  

Age depends on the position and the circumstances.    Catchers often that longer to develop because it is a tough position to learn.   Branden Kline is not Rule 5 eligible because he was put on the major league roster.  But he is a 27 year old minor leaguer.  But he is also a 2nd rounder who was injured and  had a good 2018 with two quality pitches.   He probably makes the majors in 2019 at 27 years old.

I think the whole picture has to be looked at but being a All-Star can make a Rule 5 guy stand out.

I wonder if there are other players that where 2018 All-Star available in the Rule 5 draft this year?

You make some good points.  I have no idea if there are any other AA/AAA all stars who were unprotected, though I suspect there were a few.    

I trust the O’s judgment on Cervenka.    I guess the market will tell us if they were correct.  

Re: Cervenka keep in mind that the O's will need 40-man space for one or more Rule 5 picks, which, with the #1 pick they are guaranteed to make. I think there's more than enough cruft to clear off to have protected Cervenka AND make some rule 5 picks, but perhaps the Orioles feel differently. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Re: Cervenka keep in mind that the O's will need 40-man space for one or more Rule 5 picks, which, with the #1 pick they are guaranteed to make. I think there's more than enough cruft to clear off to have protected Cervenka AND make some rule 5 picks, but perhaps the Orioles feel differently. 

Brian Graham should know his minor league  players.   He is a key part of the decision not to protect Cervenka.

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I get your point, and agree, but I believe that your health benefits will actually continue for three months after you leave.

Archived