Update: Elias brings in Sig Mejdal:

weams

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Hmm, I think I'll just read other stuff on him then go through 6 minutes plus of that. Either way, it's good that he gets his own thread where we can discuss him and his system here.

Agreed, It it laborious. But the word is that Sig is coming to town. 

https://www.lonestarball.com/2018/11/14/18095287/mlb-rumors-mike-elias-sig-mejdal-baltimore-orioles-houston-astros-general-manager

Will be interesting to see what he does in Baltimore. Sig was effectively cut off from the analytics side of the Astros about two or three years ago. Almost exclusively work on the developmental side.  Elias, Sig, Fast, etc. All these guys are more or less pushed as Luhnow is concentrating approaches and, confusingly, pushing out smart people who disagree with the way he decided to do things.  Will be interesting to see what Elias does. He was firmly against Luhnow slashing their scouting program in Houston.

8 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

Will be interesting to see what he does in Baltimore. Sig was effectively cut off from the analytics side of the Astros about two or three years ago. Almost exclusively work on the developmental side.  Elias, Sig, Fast, etc. All these guys are more or less pushed as Luhnow is concentrating approaches and, confusingly, pushing out smart people who disagree with the way he decided to do things.  Will be interesting to see what Elias does. He was firmly against Luhnow slashing their scouting program in Houston.

Very interesting insights, thanks.

1 hour ago, jsbearr said:

Do you think this could be why Elias may have been more motivated to take the Orioles job, and why Sig intentionally decided not to extend his contract with the Astros?  I agree that it’s surprising Luhnow is pushing these guys away that helped him have so much success.  Do you think all the success went to Luhnow’s head and he thinks he doesn’t need these guys anymore like he may have in the past when he was ramping up the Astros’ rebuild?  There clearly appears to be a reason for the mass exodus in the Astros front office.  Whatever the case, I’m happy that their loss is the Orioles’ gain.

11 minutes ago, Obando said:

Do you think this could be why Elias may have been more motivated to take the Orioles job, and why Sig intentionally decided not to extend his contract with the Astros?  I agree that it’s surprising Luhnow is pushing these guys away that helped him have so much success.  Do you think all the success went to Luhnow’s head and he thinks he doesn’t need these guys anymore like he may have in the past when he was ramping up the Astros’ rebuild?  There clearly appears to be a reason for the mass exodus in the Astros front office.  Whatever the case, I’m happy that their loss is the Orioles’ gain.

There are rumors that there was a split in the organization regarding Osuna.  Some were definitely not happy.  Not sure what role, if any, that played here.

19 minutes ago, Obando said:

I'm not sure it's the Stros GM pushing guys out the door. Think of it this way. Maybe he is giving guys a chance to get a better job? No one knows the inner workings of any MLB. What's going on in Houston with the Stros is anybodies guess. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

I'm not sure it's the Stros GM pushing guys out the door. Think of it this way. Maybe he is giving guys a chance to get a better job? No one knows the inner workings of any MLB. What's going on in Houston with the Stros is anybodies guess. 

Yes I do like the Stros. Was a big fan when they were in the NL. Then the damn fools in MLB moved them to the AL. 

40 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

It does help when you know people there, but this is fairly common knowledge in the industry (though unreported).

Archived