Update: Elias brings in Sig Mejdal:

weams

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, weams said:

This is great news indeed!  Just found out about it.  We are mov'in and shak'in.  Curious as to Elias'/Syd's throughs are on Zoellner!  Any analytical hope here? ?

1 minute ago, weams said:

He might be manager!

I hope people don't associate his announcing with his baseball knowledge. He's a smart baseball guy and a good instructor. He's a positive guy by nature who may be a good fit for a young club. Besides, if it gets him out of the booth I'm all for it! lol

Personally I'd like to see Gary Kendell given a shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Mejdal

While working for NASA, Mejdal had a side job as the chief quantitative analyst for Sam Walker's fantasy baseball team Streetwalkers Baseball Club,[10][11] which was participating in the Tout Wars competition's "Battle of the Experts."[10] The fantasy team would later become the subject of Walker's book: Fantasyland: A Sportswriter's Obsessive Bid to Win the World's Most Ruthless Fantasy Baseball.[9]

In 2005, Sig Mejdal was recruited to do sabermetrics for the St. Louis Cardinals' new analytics department.[12] He took 22 months of data from college baseball games and ran it through an algorithm to determine the likely performance and stats baseball players would achieve.[13] According to Sports Illustrated, "[o]ver the next seven seasons the Cardinals would draft more players who became big leaguers than any other organization."[4]He was promoted to senior quantitative analyst in 2008[14] and director of amateur draft analysis in January 2011.[15][16] Mejdal created a formula to predict the risk of injury to baseball players[17] and contributed a section on injury probability to The Bill James Handbook.[18]

In 2012, Mejdal became the Director of Decision Sciences for the Houston Astros, where he supported recruitment decisions based on physical tests and historical player performance.[2][7][19] Hiring Mejdal to apply an analytics-based decision tree on their player choices was part of the effort to revitalize the team and address performance issues in prior seasons.[4] He helped the team create the STOUT system, named after the combination of "stat" and "scout," for making player choices.[20] The system was criticized for de-humanizing players, but after trading off some players and making new recruits, the Astro's farm system became ranked among the best in baseball.[4] The Astros also used analytics to persuade players that were uncomfortable with non-traditional positions on the field to embrace shifts, which the team now uses very heavily.[4][21]

In 2015, Mejdal was one of the team's advisers whose login credentials were believed to have been used to hack into the team's database

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I hope people don't associate his announcing with his baseball knowledge. He's a smart baseball guy and a good instructor. He's a positive guy by nature who may be a good fit for a young club. Besides, if it gets him out of the booth I'm all for it! lol

Personally I'd like to see Gary Kendell given a shot.

I had the good fortune of attending a Dan Connolly event with Mike in a very small group.  Mike was witty, sharp, and had ribald stories to tell. It was easy to see that he was a fun man and one that had a wealth of baseball knowledge. The story of how he became an announcer has been told in a game of telephone. Let it suffice to say that is not his forte. 

Archived