Update: Elias brings in Sig Mejdal:

weams

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

To be fair, he would always modify it with an adjective if it was a short hitting streak.   He'd call it a "modest 3 game hitting streak".

It's kind of homer-ey but I assumed he said this sort of thing to fill airtime.  Pretty low on my list of annoyances with Hunter to be honest.

Weirdly enough his HR call (THAT ball is gaaahn!) Is rather grating to me.

20 hours ago, Babkins said:

Mike “That Was a Bomb” Bordick

Mike “Center-cut” Bordick

Mike “One of the Best” [pause] ”in the Game” Bordick

Ugh, I can’t go any further with this.

I'm sorry in advance, I know you couldn't do more, but this one must be included.

Mike "Bat Head to the Ball" Bordick

Roch:

Can you take me through the process of how you ended up in Baltimore? I read where you allowed your contract with the Astros to run out so you could seek other opportunities. Did you anticipate this opportunity and set yourself up for the move?

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Jeff (Luhnow). He hasn’t just been my boss, but he’s been like my best friend for 14 years. So I asked him if I could explore other opportunities, because I think I miss the, I’m not going to say ‘the rebuild,’ I think the early stages of change more so than the steady state. And he was completely understanding and completely supportive. I didn’t know where my landing spot was going to be. I knew there were a few teams looking for general managers. My guess is that there was going to be a possibility there, but I didn’t know.”

Once Elias got the job, had you already talked to him about reuniting in Baltimore?

“We had talked in general about different opportunities, but there was nothing set in stone that wherever he went, I would go for sure. All things being equal, there would be a good chance of that because this is an incumbent GM who has a tremendous amount of experience in the areas that the Orioles could use, and he has a complete trust in me and vice-versa. So I knew it would be attractive, but there was no guarantee or complete agreement.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/sig-mejdal-talks-about-his-arrival-in-baltimore-and-the-work-that-awaits.html

More from Roch : 

How do you work analytics into this rebuild? How do they fit?

“I think a baseball front office could be described as a collection of, it’s decision after decision, and in those decisions you want to use all the information available and you want to combine that information as well as you can. And analytics assists in that.”

How long does it take to get the staff where you want it and how long does it take for you to see the results on the field?

“I know better than to promise any sort of results. What we can promise is that we’re going to aggressively improve the processes and take what we learned both in St. Louis and Houston and apply it here.”

Does this work with any personnel that they have on the roster, or do you have to find the right people to match what you want to do?

“I think at the end of the day we’re looking for wins, and that comes from runs. And there are some exciting pieces in this organization that are going to contribute to both of those.”

Archived