ATTN: 2 P.M. AMA (Ask Mike Anything)

weams

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

What I like is that he doesn't talk to the fans like we're all idiots. At times I felt Duquette would give us false answers that sounded more "accessible baseball"-y than what the real answer was. As a result it made him sound kind of dumb, when in reality I believe he was overcompensating on our behalf. 

The first interview I heard from DD he seemed like a. complete moron.  Probably why he was out of baseball so long.  Sounding like an idiot doesn't help you in interviews.

Elias seems to exude confidence.  And has a good sense of humor.  

7 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Surprised he doesn't use a Mac... he's too "old school" for me.?

Maybe that's a company device.? 

Yeah, I'm practically old enough to be his father, and I use a macbook.  You won't get me back on a WIN10 machine.  My wife has one and she asks me all the time to troubleshoot it. 

14 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, I'm practically old enough to be his father, and I use a macbook.  You won't get me back on a WIN10 machine.  My wife has one and she asks me all the time to troubleshoot it. 

Windows 10 is the easiest OS I have ever worked with. I had an Ipad but could not do half the things I do with this simple laptop. I say this as someone old enough for DOS. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know what the situation was, but Greg Bader has always been a great communicator when he has the ability to make something happen. He was hamstrung a lot in the past. He was at the conference today and see no reason why he would not continue. Personally I think Bader does a fantastic job, even if he doesn't advertise with us any longer. ;) :D 

Agreed. Big fan of Bader.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Honestly I'm starting to tilt back over to considering PCs.  I got issued a new Macbook Pro touch bar for work and I honestly hate it.  I've had problems with the USB-C ports, the keyboard is janky, and it has weird hardware switching issues that I haven't been able to fully fix.  (For what it's worth, I'm a tech/engineering professional, so I'd like to think that I know how to navigate my way around a computer.)

3 years ago I probably would have made fun of the pic a lot more.  But right now...

Sifting through all of the questions posted to him today and watching the Press Conference I did not hear anyone ask him if he expects to add any players through trade or free agency between now and the winter meetings.  Several teams have made trades in the last few days and the NYY just made a big deal today landing James Paxton the pitcher from Seattle who I compare to Chris Sale. with 2 yrs left at $9 million per year on his contract. Another steal for NY. Mike seems to be very approachable and in tune.  This can only help him as he starts to rebuild the Orioles.  Personally I don't view this as a 3-5 year rebuild. With key free agent signings and trades and smart drafting he can build this team faster than that time frame.  Having tasted winning with the Astros the last few years I think he will try to get this team in a similar position much sooner. With a number one draft pick and a number one rule five pick he has two acquisitions coming up that will be helpful.  His preference for infielders supports my previous comments about signing Maldonado former Houston catcher along with Jose Iglesias smooth fielding shortstop formerly with the Tigers and I would make a major effort to sign Mike Moustakas for 3B. With Villar holding down 2B and a platoon at 1B for now we would solidify our infield.

8 minutes ago, section18 said:

Sifting through all of the questions posted to him today and watching the Press Conference I did not hear anyone ask him if he expects to add any players through trade or free agency between now and the winter meetings.  Several teams have made trades in the last few days and the NYY just made a big deal today landing James Paxton the pitcher from Seattle who I compare to Chris Sale. with 2 yrs left at $9 million per year on his contract. Another steal for NY. Mike seems to be very approachable and in tune.  This can only help him as he starts to rebuild the Orioles.  Personally I don't view this as a 3-5 year rebuild. With key free agent signings and trades and smart drafting he can build this team faster than that time frame.  Having tasted winning with the Astros the last few years I think he will try to get this team in a similar position much sooner. With a number one draft pick and a number one rule five pick he has two acquisitions coming up that will be helpful.  His preference for infielders supports my previous comments about signing Maldonado former Houston catcher along with Jose Iglesias smooth fielding shortstop formerly with the Tigers and I would make a major effort to sign Mike Moustakas for 3B. With Villar holding down 2B and a platoon at 1B for now we would solidify our infield.

Paxton's road era was almost 4.00 last year. He's a good pitcher (when healthy), but he's not Chris Sale. Not even close. Also, the Yankees gave up their best prospect in the trade so I'd hardly call it a steal. It was a smart trade for them to make, but I don't think the Mariners got cheated. 

Also, I think signing someone like Moustakas would be a big mistake. This team shouldn't be active in the free agent market this off season. They should only be looking to fill gaping holes and not at the expense of handing out multi-year deals. It's important to maintain as much roster flexibility as possible during the rebuild. Then they can look to sign free agents in a few years when the have a better sense of which of their prospects can be everyday players.

And while I appreciate your optimism I don't think there's anyway they can turn this around in less than five years. And that's assuming a handful of prospects stick and they have some success in the draft. It's just the reality of the situation. 

35 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Paxton's road era was almost 4.00 last year. He's a good pitcher (when healthy), but he's not Chris Sale. Not even close. Also, the Yankees gave up their best prospect in the trade so I'd hardly call it a steal. It was a smart trade for them to make, but I don't think the Mariners got cheated. 

Also, I think signing someone like Moustakas would be a big mistake. This team shouldn't be active in the free agent market this off season. They should only be looking to fill gaping holes and not at the expense of handing out multi-year deals. It's important to maintain as much roster flexibility as possible during the rebuild. Then they can look to sign free agents in a few years when the have a better sense of which of their prospects can be everyday players.

And while I appreciate your optimism I don't think there's anyway they can turn this around in less than five years. And that's assuming a handful of prospects stick and they have some success in the draft. It's just the reality of the situation. 

I'd say 3 to 4 years.

Archived