Roch: Decisions Still Pending

weams

55 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Generally not a Roch fan. I don't like his sense of humor and the constant mediocre (and sometimes confusing) jokes he tries to add into his reporting.  And have posted as much through the years multiple times.  

To me, the irony of Roch catching flak here is that the summary of decisions in from of Elias - at least as composed by Roch - is a pretty darn good one.  It points out the current folks in major scouting positions, how long many have been here, how some arrived here and more.  Of course, Roch's (poor) trademark humor attempts - centipede, last full dinner - make the article less professional and, IMO, take away from the article.

Anyway, any journalist today who can't stand a little keyboard criticism and who insists on being told things to his face is less than professional anyway.  Good riddance. 

I think some of his stuff is funny.  

I don't really read too much negative stuff directed towards Roch.  Bordick and Hunter get bashed pretty badly on here.  Sometimes it is pretty overboard.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think some of his stuff is funny.  

I don't really read too much negative stuff directed towards Roch.  Bordick and Hunter get bashed pretty badly on here.  Sometimes it is pretty overboard.

I must tell you, I truly enjoyed spending some time with Mike Bordick. He was quite fun. 

9 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

You have to remember that Roch  is not an investigative reporter.  He is a commentator for the Oriole network.  Jim Palmer who is also an employee but his commentary is so much more in depth and truly objectively critical about the organization and play on the field.

Good point and no question that Palmer he doesn't pull any punches...but I think he has quite a bit more rope than Roch. He's pretty much untouchable, no matter what he says. 

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Good point and no question that Palmer he doesn't pull any punches...but I think he has quite a bit more rope than Roch. He's pretty much untouchable, no matter what he says. 

Yeah, Roch has no plaque in Cooperstown.  Or statue out beyond center field. 

2 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I’ve been on these boards a long time, although I am an infrequent poster.  There is no question and it’s been cool to see how you’ve “grown” on these boards.  It’s not just taking advice as you said in this paragraph, nor is it just toning it down, it’s a matter of how you were willing to be self-introspective, accepting, and were willing to try a different approach when folks came at you from positions of ignorance and sometimes rudeness. That’s not easy.

The frequent posters on here for better or worst are going to be held to a higher standard and there are a lot of people on these boards who come here to read the opinions, even if they rarely join the conversation. Although I miss the constant rumor leaking from years past, I think the OH is better now than I’ve ever seen it. 

For what it’s worth (since you have no idea who I am) I really respect you for what you’ve done here and a lot of people feel the same way.

Thanks, appreciate it!

2 hours ago, atomic said:

He is more of a once in a while and gets mad at everyone and talks to them like they are stupid.  I think it is more of when he is in a bad mood he bans people for minor criticisms. I don't really post too often in his comments.  People do post political stuff there which is annoying. 

Anyway I think last season was tough on the MASN staff as even Steve started to be quick to lash out on posters at the end of the season. I guess it is tough to be the  team chearleader when the team only wins 47 games.

Last season was hard on everyone, including the media. Trust me, I know guys in the organization that said last year was the most trying of their careers. 

I consider it bad form for Roch to verbally berate Tony for a comment written on this board.  That would be the same as Tony doing the same to Roch for what somebody wrote in the comments on Roch's blog.  Good grief.  Tony isn't responsible for what we write.  Having read Frobby for years, I can't imagine any post of his generating that type of response.  The only thing I can think of is that it is possible that Roch didn't actually read whatever post it was, but rather was told about it by someone else, most likely in an exaggerated manner.  Just a guess.

15 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wow just wow. I'm really at a loss for words. If he's really this thin skinned then perhaps he shouldn't have picked a profession that puts him in the public eye. 

And that's one of the things that makes Roch unenjoyable. He can defend the O's past moves all he wants, that doesn't mean fans have to agree. That also doesnt mean Roch should throw tantrums if fans don't agree with him.

There's much harder labor that pays far less, if Roch can't handle the heat of some fans that don't always think the Orioles are always rainbows and glitter.

10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Heck Palmer was that way, when play for Earl the Man!!!!

"The Chinese tell time by 'The Year of the Horse' or 'The Year of the Dragon.' I tell time by 'The Year of the Back' and 'The Year of the Elbow.' This year it's the 'Year of the Ulnar Nerve.' Someone once asked me if I had any physical incapacities of my own. 'Sure I do,' I said. 'One big one - Jim Palmer.' " - Earl Weaver

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any update with the manager search?  Interviews scheduled?  Hopefully Espada hasn’t turned us down. 

We might have a new GM in place, but the org still appears to be operating in a military opsec keep their mouth closed and media leaks to a bare minimum.

Archived