Roch: Decisions Still Pending

weams

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t say his track record has been that great.   Since 2000, the Orioles have drafted 21 players who produced at least 1.0 rWAR.    Rajsich produced four of them: Gausman, Hader, Mancini and Hart.    His predecessor, Joe Jordan, was here for 7 years and produced Machado, Arrieta, Britton, Wieters, Davies, Bundy, Givens, Hernandez, Joseph and Matusz.    Now, I will grant you that (1) Jordan got to pick a lot higher than Rajsich (Gausman excepted), and (2) many of Rajsich’s picks are still making their way up the system.   We won’t know for another 6 years or so how Rajsich really did.    But I don’t think it’s clear yet whether Rajsich did better than his predecessor.   

Really good post, a lot will depend on how some current youngsters / minor leaguers fair: Mullins, Stewart, Hays, Rodriguez, Knight, Mountcastle, Hall, McKenna etc. Definetly hard to make the comparison now, I guess we should table this conversation for 5 years from now ?.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jtschrei said:

Was he Gary R good? That is my question. Honest question. Don't know the answer. When I look at what Roch wrote (pasted below), I am not blown away by the drafts. Gausman was can't miss at #4. Harvey and Sedlock are borderline done. Stewart is not special. Mountcastle, meh. 

But Mancini, Hays, Mullins were all excellent picks. So... is Gary R's track record good, excellent, average? 

• Per Roch: Rajsich came to the Orioles as Joe Jordan’s replacement. His first-round picks included pitchers Kevin Gausman, Hunter Harvey, Cody Sedlock, DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez and outfielder DJ Stewart. He took infielder Ryan Mountcastle with the 36th overall pick in ‘15 and promising shortstop Adam Hall in the second round in 2017. The Orioles forfeited their first two picks in 2014 after signing pitcher Ubaldo Jiménez and outfielder Nelson Cruz as free agents, and Rajsich chose pitcher Brian Gonzalez in the third round. Rajsich found Trey Mancini still available in the eighth round in 2013, Cedric Mullins in the 13th round in 2015 and Austin Hays in the third round in 2016. Ryan McKenna, a fourth-rounder in 2015, is climbing up the prospect charts. Left-handers Keegan Akin (second round in 2016) and Zac Lowther(competitive balance pick in 2017) were chosen as the system’s Co-Pitchers of the Year this summer.

As with most scouting directors, you really can't make an assessment until about 5 or 6 years after their last draft.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First round:

Ubaldo

Gallardo

Norris

Davis

Trumbo (maybe)

Second round:

Webb

Matusz

Cruz (got a first back)

Cobb

I forget any?

You are really just reinvigorating my anger that they tendered Matusz a contract then traded the balance pick to shed it. He was a non-tender candidate the previous offseason. A lot of folks thought he’d be non-tendered. 

I liked DD but he had some truly bonehead moments.  I guess at least he didn’t let those under him draft a Rowell or Hobgood (I hope).

I am sad to see Rajsich go.  I thought he drafted well especially with all of the lost/forfeited picks and with drafting toward the end of each round.  Many of his picks were immediately better than their draft position - the Harvey pick received tremendous accolades immediately after the draft and we have seen Hall, Akin, Lowther and many, many others - Mancini, Mullins get to the majors or start off with successful minors careers.

I don't think it is wise or necessary to compare Rajsich with Joe Jordan.  They largely drafted at different points in various rounds, drafted under different draft rules and had different player development systems.  I liked both.  It has been nice to see Jordan's late arrivals (Britton and Givens) provide quality WAR to his final numbers.

It is Elias' game now.  He and Mejdal have the knowledge to build the databases and analytics and it will be interesting to see how much time is necessary to catch up to or surpass what they created in Houston.  They have a lot of hiring to do as well.  Very exciting and very busy time as we watch the new GM build up a new organization basically from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck makes the case for keeping various coaches:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/considering-the-challenges-of-constructing-a-coaching-staff.html

I wouldn’t say he’s advocating it, just laying out the rationale why various individuals might be kept. 

It makes sense he believes they are good coaches, or he wouldn't have had them on his staff.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Buck makes the case for keeping various coaches:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/considering-the-challenges-of-constructing-a-coaching-staff.html

I wouldn’t say he’s advocating it, just laying out the rationale why various individuals might be kept. 

Sounded more like Roch making the case for last year's coaches.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

It makes sense he believes they are good coaches, or he wouldn't have had them on his staff.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounded more like Roch making the case for last year's coaches.

Yes, typo on my part.    I’ve corrected it.    My apologies.  

While it's always hard to blame the coaches for anything without at the same time recognizing the majority of fault rests on the players, I don't see how it could be justified McDowell and Coolbaugh deserve to keep their jobs after the collective performance of both sides last year, and the year prior specifically for McDowell.

2 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

While it's always hard to blame the coaches for anything without at the same time recognizing the majority of fault rests on the players, I don't see how it could be justified McDowell and Coolbaugh deserve to keep their jobs after the collective performance of both sides last year, and the year prior specifically for McDowell.

The pitchers were doing well before McDowell got here and did terrible with home here.  And several guys did better after leaving.  Coolbaugh was brought here to help Davis.  Certainly hasn't helped.  And other batters started to hit like Davis. If he either guy gets their positions in the big leagues again I would be shocked.

12 hours ago, section18 said:

Rosenthal is reporting Chip Hale bench coach with the Nationals and Brandon Hyde bench coach with the Cubs will interview with the Orioles for the mangers job.  We will be interviewing six former managers.

Not all will be former managers, at least not at the Major League level.

Archived