Connolly: Chris Holt to be hired from Astros

weams

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He’s already surpassed Bundyesque.    Bundy was drafted in 2011 and missed a lot of 2013-15 but was in the majors to stay and relatively healthy by 2016.    Harvey was drafted in 2013 and has missed significant chunks of every season since then.   Bundy threw 263 professional innings in his first 5 years after being drafted (including 110.1 in the majors),  to Harvey’s 176.2 (all in the minors).

Yeah...it's really closer to the ole Charlie Brown football thing.   "This year I really am gonna...."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s already surpassed Bundyesque.    Bundy was drafted in 2011 and missed a lot of 2013-15 but was in the majors to stay and relatively healthy by 2016.    Harvey was drafted in 2013 and has missed significant chunks of every season since then.   Bundy threw 263 professional innings in his first 5 years after being drafted (including 110.1 in the majors),  to Harvey’s 176.2 (all in the minors).

Great analysis. So he's averaging about 3 complete games per calendar year... in total!

I could definitely see Hunter transitioning to late-inning reliever, just like his dad. But it's starting to feel like his starter days are numbered. Another reason I'm glad Elias and Sig are here to sort these questions out! 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:02 PM, Es4M11 said:

Honestly, I hope everyone in a baseball position gets replaced eventually. I'm sure many of those that are left are great people, but I want to start from scratch.

Why would you throw the baby out with the bathwater?  If you have talented scouts it would be stupid to fire them.  Same with good minor league coaches.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, Es4M11 said:

Honestly, I hope everyone in a baseball position gets replaced eventually. I'm sure many of those that are left are great people, but I want to start from scratch.

I do as well.  The most important thing Elias can do is get rid of a culture that AM and DD ultimately couldn't overcome.  Do the decent thing and fire them quickly so they have as much time as possible to find new positions.  Then hire your guys as fast as possible so it's a done deal before the brothers have a chance to start "contributing".  There are enough capable replacements out there without the entrenched loyalties.

Move fast and break things Mike.  Pretend it's a startup, because it may as well be.

13 hours ago, interloper said:

Remember how Buck/Dan basically hired a new pitching coach every 2 years? That was pretty annoying. I hope we don't continue to do that.

Haha well when you are only willing to hire pitching coaches that you have worked with, you really can’t complain when 55+ year olds want to move on. 

9 hours ago, 24fps said:

I do as well.  The most important thing Elias can do is get rid of a culture that AM and DD ultimately couldn't overcome.  Do the decent thing and fire them quickly so they have as much time as possible to find new positions.  Then hire your guys as fast as possible so it's a done deal before the brothers have a chance to start "contributing".  There are enough capable replacements out there without the entrenched loyalties.

Move fast and break things Mike.  Pretend it's a startup, because it may as well be.

Hire new not before the bros interfere, but before they're all gone. Need a job need a job need a job!

On 11/26/2018 at 9:02 PM, Es4M11 said:

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

I think it’s unrealistic to expect that everyone in management can or should be replaced, especially in the near term.     Most front office/coaching contracts run Nov. 1 - Oct. 31 (Rajsich being an exception).     Elias would be very hard pressed to find competent people to fill every spot in the organization right now.   He’d also lose all existing institutional knowledge of the players in the organization, and undoubtedly, some of the new people would be downgrades from the people they replaced.   I expect a lot of changes to get made, but 100% turnover is neither realistic nor wise.  

As to the “culture,” I appreciate that point but I don’t think it requires replacing everyone.   Buck changed the culture in the Orioles clubhouse without replacing everyone.     It’s a matter of establishing a proper chain of command and getting rid of anyone who won’t respect it, and otherwise, judging people by their abilities and willingness to implement the direction from upper management.   

Archived