Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tell ya what...if Sisco is Mike Piazza, we’ll talk.

meanwhile, I’ll hesitate to compare Sisco to a Hall-of-famer.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I got the point you were making. I was just giving my opinion on Sisco's offensive ceiling.

And that is why I bothered clarifying my statement.  Notice it didn't work.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tell ya what...if Sisco is Mike Piazza, we’ll talk.

meanwhile, I’ll hesitate to compare Sisco to a Hall-of-famer.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, I agree,  this is morning I was imagining Mike Wright saying, “Two scoreless innings isnt much, but it’s better than getting blasted in two innings.”

You're missing a facetious comment and pummeling a strawman. I do not believe CoC was suggesting Sisco is the best pure power hitting catcher in baseball history. You're also concerned how people would respond to a comment you didn't make about Mike Wright as justification for criticizing praise for Sisco. 

But you know, since you're insistent on making this conversation about Mike Wright.... Wright was never one of the O's top 3 prospects, he wasn't a high draft pick. Mike Wright is a 29 year old pitcher who has spent parts of four seasons in the bigs and produced an ERA near 6 in more than 225 innings. 

Sisco was the club's top positional prospect entering last season, a former 2nd round pick, has won a league batting championship in the minors and been selected for a Future Game. He's also half a decade younger. 

Sisco has a much better track record of success than Wright. If you're going to keep picking at Sisco's nice start, please stop using Wright as your argument. It's an irrelevant comparison.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

You're missing a facetious comment and pummeling a strawman. I do not believe CoC was suggesting Sisco is the best pure power hitting catcher in baseball history. You're also concerned how people would respond to a comment you didn't make about Mike Wright as justification for criticizing praise for Sisco. 

But you know, since you're insistent on making this conversation about Mike Wright.... Wright was never one of the O's top 3 prospects, he wasn't a high draft pick. Mike Wright is a 29 year old pitcher who has spent parts of four seasons in the bigs and produced an ERA near 6 in more than 225 innings. 

Sisco was the club's top positional prospect entering last season, a former 2nd round pick, has won a league batting championship in the minors and been selected for a Future Game. He's also half a decade younger. 

Sisco has a much better track record of success than Wright. If you're going to keep picking at Sisco's nice start, please stop using Wright as your argument. It's an irrelevant comparison.  

I am flabbergasted at how poorly you understood my comment. And your attitude is unjustified and reflects poorly on you.

I mentioned Mike Wright  because I was agreeing with you that doing well is better than doing poorly, regardless of the competition.

I did not make the comment about Wright, and neither did he. As I said, I was imagining him saying something to that effect. I am not comparing the two, and it is inexplicable that you inferred that I was doing so.

Sisco is a prospect. His defense has always been questionable( and remains so) And it was expected that his bat would make up for his defense. When he made it to the big leagues, his bat was terribly inadequate, so much so that many people have doubts about whether he can be an effective big league player. I am one of those people. I will be very happy if I am proven wrong, but the doubters have legitimate reasons for their doubt.

Edited by Philip

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can’t be too surprised when Davis got enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title last year.  

I think at a certain point last year early on Buck realised he more than likely wasn't coming back and went into "F It" mode. There's no other plausible reason why Mancini didn't play 1B more, playing Rickard/Andreoli over Mullins to better evaluate what we have for next year, etc.

4 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sisco isn't all that great.

If you can show your work where I ever claimed he was great let me know. Based on last year how would you even know what he could be seeing how Buck treated him? Having the new staff showing faith in your ability is very powerful. 

14 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sisco isn't all that great.

Neither are Austin Wynns, Caleb Joseph and last but least Andrew Susac. It probably wasn't great for a rookie's confidence to send him to AAA from one of the worst teams in MLB history.  

Edited by LTO's
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Not disagreeing with your point at all, but Wright was a 3rd rounder.   So, pretty high, even if not as high as Sisco's 2nd round selection.   

• Upvote 1

If I am having a hard time with some of these threads. I see people saying that Sisco can’t catch and can’t hit and Mullins is a platoon player. We all know what the numbers say, but if there’s one advantage to being terrible, it’s that we have the opportunity to see if Sisco and Mullins can prove otherwise. Sisco has a legitimate pedigree as a former top 100 prospect and while Tony has explained why the odds may now be stacked against him, perhaps player development under Elias and Sig will result in improved performance. If it doesn’t result in improved performance, that’s okay too because the difference between losing 95 and 105 games is inconsequential and we’ll have a better understanding of what Sisco and Mullins are (or are not) as players.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sydnor said:

If I am having a hard time with some of these threads. I see people saying that Sisco can’t catch and can’t hit and Mullins is a platoon player. We all know what the numbers say, but if there’s one advantage to being terrible, it’s that we have the opportunity to see if Sisco and Mullins can prove otherwise. Sisco has a legitimate pedigree as a former top 100 prospect and while Tony has explained why the odds may now be stacked against him, perhaps player development under Elias and Sig will result in improved performance. If it doesn’t result in improved performance, that’s okay too because the difference between losing 95 and 105 games is inconsequential and we’ll have a better understanding of what Sisco and Mullins are (or are not) as players.

Nobody is good enough around here.