Brian Graham Out

weams

1 minute ago, jsbearr said:

As a GM, I would wonder what Brady offers me. He famously operated without the oversight of Buck or Dan. He would not communicate to developmental staff what he was telling players and would often lead players on different instruction than developmental staff were telling them to go.  He would encourage players to resist some coaching.  He may have been correct in those instances, but do you really want a guy in your system who was completely indifferent to the organization and to communicating what he was doing in the organization?

I completely agree with all of this. My guess though is that Brady is the one guy who is off limits (at least until PA is no longer around). If that's the case, I'd put him in charge of the physical conditioning or something and move on.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to think that Elias and Brady will be able to work together.   I think Brady is a smart guy and would rely on analytics in whatever his job will be with the Orioles.   

That being said, if he's still going to have a back channel to the Angelos family, he needs to go.   

7 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm beginning to think that Elias and Brady will be able to work together.   I think Brady is a smart guy and would rely on analytics in whatever his job will be with the Orioles.   

That being said, if he's still going to have a back channel to the Angelos family, he needs to go.   

I am beginning to think even beyond this.

Peter is no longer running things. Brady is close to the sons. The sons apparently implement an entirely new approach to running the team. Mike Elias is hired.

Hence, we have Brady to thank for this new direction. He's the reason Elias is here, so he naturally fits. 

It's possible.

56 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yet Brady remains. Brian Graham by all accounts was a good baseball mind. I'm ok with Elias cleaning house, but that means Brady should be gone too. Elias being hired must have included an understanding that Brady is staying.

But damn keeping Brady? I'd rather they had kept Graham. Getting rid of the good and keeping the bad. Geez Mike. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I am beginning to think even beyond this.

Peter is no longer running things. Brady is close to the sons. The sons apparently implement an entirely new approach to running the team. Mike Elias is hired.

Hence, we have Brady to thank for this new direction. He's the reason Elias is here, so he naturally fits. 

It's possible.

I have to admit, this is entirely plausible and has crossed my mind.

51 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Yet our player development leaves something to be desired to put it mildly. 

It extends beyond Graham.  With the exception of Bedard, we haven't developed a true top of the rotation starter from our farm system since Mike Mussina.  This is why a top to bottom cleansing from all aspects of baseball operations, including scouts, analytics, minor league coaches, instructors, etc, is key.  I know the Orioles hired guys because of the Oriole Way, but somewhere along the line, we've got a huge problem. 

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

It extends beyond Graham.  With the exception of Bedard, we haven't developed a true top of the rotation starter from our farm system since Mike Mussina.  This is why a top to bottom cleansing from all aspects of baseball operations, including scouts, analytics, minor league coaches, instructors, etc, is key.  I know the Orioles hired guys because of the Oriole Way, but somewhere along the line, we've got a huge problem. 

Even Bedard is highly debatable due to his durability and complete lack of any leadership skills. I default to Mussina usually as being the last true homegrown ace. 

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

[Whether Elias keeps Brady is] maybe the most fascinating Orioles-related thing in awhile. Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting.

I’m actually extremely bored with the topic, and think it’s highly overrated.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m actually extremely bored with the topic, and think it’s highly overrated.  

Agree that it's overrated, and I understand why you'd be bored with it. For me, I just think there's so much information packed into this one specific thing. Or at least there appears to be. We may never know.

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, I feel that Brian felt like he was safe for at least the next year. This tells me that no doubt that Elias is completely in charge. Brady is the only one left and we haven't heard anything about him yet. 

Elias is moving even quicker than I thought he could. 

And yet there are some "pundits" here that think we should already have a "skipper" in place.  Go figure?

Reading Roch's earlier missive, it looks like ME is taking time but has his eye on the prize.  He is using other teams' search notes and building upon them - not re-inventing the wheel.

"Step one is getting the leader in place, getting the manager in place, so that’s first and foremost really on my agenda right now and I’m working on that very deeply as we speak,” Elias said. “The way that I’ve seen this work best is when it is a collaborative effort to build out the rest of the staff.

“I think everyone involved - upper level front office, the manager - have ideas, have contacts and get together and put together some names that might be fits for every position. But really, in my view, the spots on the major league staff belong to the manager, rightly.

“Sometimes in today’s game, with people coming and going and so much competition for coaching talent, it’s really an area of competition from team to team right now. There are times when you have to give somebody a spot or promise somebody a spot, but the ideal way to handle it is to collaborate. But I will yield to the new manager’s opinion on these spots as much as possible.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/elias-addresses-managerial-search-and-other-topics.html

36 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

As a GM, I would wonder what Brady offers me. He famously operated without the oversight of Buck or Dan. He would not communicate to developmental staff what he was telling players and would often lead players on different instruction than developmental staff were telling them to go.  He would encourage players to resist some coaching.  He may have been correct in those instances, but do you really want a guy in your system who was completely indifferent to the organization and to communicating what he was doing in the organization?

This is exactly why if he stays on, I can't see him operating that way in an Elias organization. I imagine it will be up to Elias on whether he thinks he can use Brady for a specific purpose, but it's clear that every knows there is one sheriff in town now, so Brady will not have that autonomy if he is kept on.

Archived