Brian Graham Out

weams

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

If we got rid of Davis, I'd put Mancini on first.   That would still give us some roster flexibility by removing him from the outfield.

You can do the same thing when you get rid of Trumbo. Davis moves to DH, Mancini to 1B, start Stewart or whomever in LF. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

You can do the same thing when you get rid of Trumbo. Davis moves to DH, Mancini to 1B, start Stewart or whomever. 

Would LOVE to get rid of Trumbo.   Apparently, the Orioles specialize in stupid contracts.   Hopefully, that's coming to an end.

I think Brady is an Angelos Brothers situation.    Its the Brothers job that when Brady comes to them with the idea or an action he wants to do, the Brothers have to send Brady to Elias.    Otherwise the Brothers are undercutting their GM choice.   It up to the Brothers to do their job.

I doubt Elias has the authority to cut Davis and his 92m in outstanding salary.   If there comes a time the Elias feels that the best course for the O's is to cut Davis he will have to go to the Brothers for approval is my guess.

Nothing says Davis has to play if he is on the 25 man roster.  If he stinks, he can be the 25th man on the roster who can play 1B, 3B and corner outfield spots.  He could pitch in the blowout games.  Reality is that you are not getting much out of the 25th man on the roster, especially on a team that will be fortunate to win 60 games.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Does everything have to be about Brady?

I think Brian Graham did a decent job here, and I wish him well.   That said, Elias is wasting no time in putting his own stamp on scouting and player development.    I’m looking forward to seeing who he puts in the key spots he now needs to fill.    It’s Elias’ organization now.   

Brady's name was mentioned in the Tweet. So Yes, Brady is a part of the discussion.

4 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Nothing says Davis has to play if he is on the 25 man roster.  If he stinks, he can be the 25th man on the roster who can play 1B, 3B and corner outfield spots.  He could pitch in the blowout games.  Reality is that you are not getting much out of the 25th man on the roster, especially on a team that will be fortunate to win 60 games.

Whoever the manager is, my only requirement is that they don't feel obligated to start Davis or any veteran for that matter due to "track record". 

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Agree with this, mostly. Though, I do see value in just moving on. If Davis does continue to suck, then he's gotta go. Addition by subtraction. No matter how much money he is making, if continues his trends form last year he is an overwhelming negative, and the Orioles would be better off paying him to go away. Frees up a roster spot and a position on the field for one of our pretend outfielders.

If Davis' struggles continue, his performance would be only one part of a decision to move on. Davis is a veteran and likely looked to as a leader in this clubhouse. Buck covered for him a lot in the media. Buck was likely a reason Davis was brought over in the first place due to Bucks' familiarity with the Rangers' system. If things go south and so does Davis' attitude, that would be my breaking point. You don't need a veteran malcontent in the locker room when trying to turn the corner and rebuild. 

This is going to be the biggest challenge for any new manager. Buck was beloved by many of his players. Many of the long-time nuggets may be gone, but there will be a significant culture shift at OPACY and those players will need to adjust.  

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He's making roughly double what a player of his profile is making these days.

23 minutes ago, weams said:

While recovering from surgery. 

The surgery should only help him.   He ended up having a decent offensive season despite limping around.   I won’t be shocked if he has a 30 homer, .780 OPS season. That still has limited value with his defensive profile, but it’s not awful.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see the hurry in hiring a manager at this point. I imagine he'll hire someone before Christmas, but what does it matter whether it's today, last week, or early January? The manager needs enough time to study his players and prepare for his upcoming season. Elias is the only Sheriff in acquiring players at this point. The manager will manage the players he's given in 2019. 

Yes. This. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The surgery should only help him.   He ended up having a decent offensive season despite limping around.   I won’t be shocked if he has a 30 homer, .780 OPS season. That still has limited value with his defensive profile, but it’s not awful.  

Hard to trade him while recovering. Even if half the cost were off-set.

Archived