Brian Graham Out

weams

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I mean I don't disagree really. I'd love for them to just cut him, but it's just not super realistic. And whether or not a AAAA guy out-hits him, we're gonna lose approx. 1,000,000 games in 2019. 

I'm fine with seeing if Elias can magically analyze him into something approximating replacement level.  And you are being incredibly hyperbolic.  I can assure you this Oriole team is gonna have a lot fewer losses than your post declares.  In fact I am so optimistic I will categorically state for the record that it will not be any more than approximately 162 losses.  That's a 999,838 games better than you think the Orioles will be.  Of course I do tend to drink the kool aid profusely.  It keeps me in the right perspective.

Approximately 1,000,000 losses.  

Really? ;) 

Cheers :new_beer:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, interloper said:

To what end? Simply being able to move Mancini to 1B full time and plug in someone in LF? In a likely 100-loss season? It's neither here nor there to me. You get the same benefit moving/cutting Trumbo and it's much easier to do so.

Could move both, that would be nice.

55 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

If Davis' struggles continue, his performance would be only one part of a decision to move on. Davis is a veteran and likely looked to as a leader in this clubhouse. Buck covered for him a lot in the media. Buck was likely a reason Davis was brought over in the first place due to Bucks' familiarity with the Rangers' system. If things go south and so does Davis' attitude, that would be my breaking point. You don't need a veteran malcontent in the locker room when trying to turn the corner and rebuild. 

This is going to be the biggest challenge for any new manager. Buck was beloved by many of his players. Many of the long-time nuggets may be gone, but there will be a significant culture shift at OPACY and those players will need to adjust.  

Davis isn't a leader in the clubhouse.  Remember back when he was suspended how Jones, Wieters and O'Day had to talk to him?  Despite his tenure in the league?

Not everyone is a leader and seniority doesn't instill leadership. 

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Close but not quite.  I think each of these things stand for something that show a different level of control but each is not necessary to show that control.

Davis getting cut is emblematic of total roster control.  Elias could find he has some analysis that shows him that he can recoup value out of Davis performance.  Something like trading Bundy or Givens would also suffice.

Your second sign is that of fiscal freedom (so is the first too to an extent).  Now every GM has fiscal constraints and no owner want to spend a top ten payroll for a bottom ten product.  But there are other things that could show this.  Today for example we could see a surprise non tender.  Even freedom in free agent spending would show this.

Your last sign is simply just investment in the international market.  I dont need to see 90% to know there is a commitment.  Hiring of of more than 3 international scouts would suffice or even reporting of interest in a big international player would work (just because you want them doesnt mean they will sign).  I think to some extent the VVM news showed us that this is already there to some extent.

I refuse to accept that a GM like Elias, given full control, would forgo the opportunity to add cost controlled talent to the organization.

As for the idea that a free agent signing could be seen as the equivalent?  I don't think so, that's Peter Angelos thinking, spend money on veterans in an attempt to make the ML product slightly more palatable instead of the international market.

If Elias does actually decide to emphasis those types of moves than they hired the wrong guy.

As for the VVM fiasco?  Reports are their offer was significantly less than what the Marlins offered so I'm not giving them much credit. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis isn't a leader in the clubhouse.  Remember back when he was suspended how Jones, Wieters and O'Day had to talk to him?  Despite his tenure in the league?

Not everyone is a leader and seniority doesn't instill leadership. 

We don’t really know, but I tend to agree.    And it’s tough to be a leader when everyone in the locker room knows you’re only playing because you have a big contract that the team can’t jettison.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

All reports indicated that the sons hired Elias on their own with no other input. They made it very clear that Elias is in charge of baseball operations and that he would take on the advice of the current executives during the transition. Rajsich and Graham are out. Even if Brady stays, I don't see him having a big role. It would also not surprise me if Brady is assigned a specific role or let go all together.

This is exactly how I think about it. Elias has canned more high level people in this short amount of time than anyone during the Angelos era. If you just look at the facts you can only come to one conclusion. That sound you hear is the ice cracking under Brady's feet. I agree Elias is completely in charge.

Just now, Frobby said:

We don’t really know, but I tend to agree.    And it’s tough to be a leader when everyone in the locker room knows you’re only playing because you have a big contract that the team can’t jettison.  

This...and every so often when we or really I start to think about how much I'd like to see Davis go, I go back and read that SI article.  God, I really feel bad for Davis.  He is in a box that is literally crushing him.  I hope it gets better for him and for us, I just don't believe it will.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whether he's a leader or not, the attitude of the highest paid player and veteran in the clubhouse matters. If he stinks, but embraces the changes, then I think they can keep him around and see if he makes a turn. If he pouts because Buck isn't around the shield him anymore, then they need to get him out ASAP. 

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

This...and every so often when we or really I start to think about how much I'd like to see Davis go, I go back and read that SI article.  God, I really feel bad for Davis.  He is in a box that is literally crushing him.  I hope it gets better for him and for us, I just don't believe it will.  

He can retire and make the pain stop whenever he wants.

Go drop off the grid and spend his millions with his family.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I feel not one iota of "sorry" for Chris Davis.   "Crushing him"?   Lol.    I operate in the realm of people making choices and being responsible in their lives...all of which come with consequences.   He made choices, he continues to make choices and gets paid unbelievably for his choices and the consequence is the public scrutiny and criticism of being a celebrity.   If he feels sorry for himself, he should discuss his negative thinking with his therapist. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd walk away from 30% of it.

Maybe 40%.

He's due $92 million.  I'm not going to get into the details of deferred money, but if you want to make it a nice round 80 (this is being really generous to the deferral) that's fine with me.  That means you're okay walking away from $24 million.  And it's not like that's $24 million that would otherwise go to a homeless shelter.

That's a bold statement, to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

He's due $92 million.  I'm not going to get into the details of deferred money, but if you want to make it a nice round 80 (this is being really generous to the deferral) that's fine with me.  That means you're okay walking away from $24 million.  And it's not like that's $24 million that would otherwise go to a homeless shelter.

Well, walking away.... without having to work anymore.   I mean if someone came and told me I could have 70 percent of my income and never have to go to work again...it would not be a bad deal. That is what retirement is isn't it?  Taking less money not to have to work anymore?

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'd be retired at 34 with enough money to have me and my family secure for generations.

I'd take that over being miserable at work and away from my family for much of the next four years.

Archived