Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. He is being hired. I had not seen the formal announcement. Thanks. 

There hasn’t been a formal announcement for Cossins or the other coach they’ve reportedly hired.  Elias said they’d probably defer any announcement until the coaching staff was complete.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

There hasn’t been a formal announcement for Cossins or the other coach they’ve reportedly hired.  Elias said they’d probably defer any announcement until the coaching staff was complete.  

I put them on the list as per Atomic's request. As unspecified. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

From a season ticket holder to our new GM we expect you to be competitive and your manager does as well.  In some of your recent interviews you don't act like signing any remaining free agents is on your list anymore. Has something changed? I think we are about $76 million below our 2018 payroll.  We can afford to spend money and still be way below last years numbers.  One year contracts will not hurt this team. Are you trying to earn your own #1 draft pick for 2020? Please don't forget your season ticket holders.......oh ! I meant to say Birdland members.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

From a season ticket holder to our new GM we expect you to be competitive and your manager does as well.  In some of your recent interviews you don't act like signing any remaining free agents is on your list anymore. Has something changed? I think we are about $76 million below our 2018 payroll.  We can afford to spend money and still be way below last years numbers.  One year contracts will not hurt this team. Are you trying to earn your own #1 draft pick for 2020? Please don't forget your season ticket holders.......oh ! I meant to say Birdland members.

While Elias may glance at this site from time to time, I think there are more effective ways to get your message across than posting it in this thread.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

I have two responses:

1.   It’s very clear the O’s plan to be in rebuilding mode this year and aren’t going to spend much money on some effort to be “respectable.”   So if you, as a season ticket holder, don’t want to pay to watch that, then don’t renew your season tickets.   Don’t renew them and then complain that the team “owes” you an obligation to spend money on the 2019 team.   Your eyes should be wide open.

2.    I completely disagree that the team should spend money on free agents to try to be respectable.    That money is better spent (1) on infrastructure, foreign players and other long term investments, or (2) in some future season when the team is ready to be a legit contender.    I’m not supporting Elias’ plan because I want to enrich the Angelos family, I support it because it’s the smart way to run a franchise when the talent on the team is as thin as it is right now.    I really don’t need to see the kind of bandaids that were applied for a decade or more after 1998.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have two responses:

1.   It’s very clear the O’s plan to be in rebuilding mode this year and aren’t going to spend much money on some effort to be “respectable.”   So if you, as a season ticket holder, don’t want to pay to watch that, then don’t renew your season tickets.   Don’t renew them and then complain that the team “owes” you an obligation to spend money on the 2019 team.   Your eyes should be wide open.

2.    I completely disagree that the team should spend money on free agents to try to be respectable.    That money is better spent (1) on infrastructure, foreign players and other long term investments, or (2) in some future season when the team is ready to be a legit contender.    I’m not supporting Elias’ plan because I want to enrich the Angelos family, I support it because it’s the smart way to run a franchise when the talent on the team is as thin as it is right now.    I really don’t need to see the kind of bandaids that were applied for a decade or more after 1998.   

Like he said in the Melewski interview, he's been to Bowie, Delmarva and Frederick, while still with Houston. Facilities are all nice but need some video equipment, weight rooms, etc. Times 7 teams adds up. Facilities in the D.R. (which he specifically mentioned) need money. Software development costs money (they can't just use a saved copy of Houston's on Sig's harddrive...) Umpteen other projects we have no clue about, it all adds up.

• Upvote 1