Thoughts about David Hess in 2019?

Frobby

36 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This year is about evaluation and development not winning. Hess needs more time in the minors if there is anymore hope for him.

We aren’t evaluating anyone.  The GM didn’t do his job this winter and we have no depth in the minors to replace the guys who don’t belong in the big leagues.  We know the guys we have aren’t major league quality.  What’s to evaluate?  

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he wouldn't feel bad if he let his minor league teammates down?

He probably won’t get hit as hard, and in any event yeah I think losing in the minors is a bit easier to take for his teammates.    That said, the major league team undoubtedly knows they’re going to finish last in the AL East so he’s not letting down his teammates as much in those circumstances compared to if the team was respectable or close.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He probably won’t get hit as hard, and in any event yeah I think losing in the minors is a bit easier to take for his teammates.    That said, the major league team undoubtedly knows they’re going to finish last in the AL East so he’s not letting down his teammates as much in those circumstances compared to if the team was respectable or close.  

Who are we going to bring up in his place?  It’s not like there is anyone in the minors that would do better.  Probably they would do worse.

Just now, atomic said:

Who are we going to bring up in his place?  It’s not like there is anyone in the minors that would do better.  Probably they would do worse.

I already said, I think Akin would be better, but I think it’s better to keep him developing a while.   There aren’t a lot of great alternatives otherwise, but I just think Hess needs a break.   

Where’s the guy who threw a 6 inning no hitter on April 1?

I agree Akin would be better, but I agree that isn't the move to make, even if there is only a 2 percent chance it hurts his development. Hess, Scott and many others have shown that pushing players up to the majors too fast doesn't help them.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I already said, I think Akin would be better, but I think it’s better to keep him developing a while.   There aren’t a lot of great alternatives otherwise, but I just think Hess needs a break.   

Pulling him from his no hitter destroyed all his confidence.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Pulling him from his no hitter destroyed all his confidence.  

Right...... 

I was thinking today, if he’d been allowed to throw a 9 inning no hitter in that game and then had the sequence of games he’s had since then, people would be blaming it on Hyde having left him in too long in his first start of the season.    

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let Akin get more experience, don't rush him like the Orioles have done with countless pitchers in the last 20 years.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

We aren’t evaluating anyone.  The GM didn’t do his job this winter and we have no depth in the minors to replace the guys who don’t belong in the big leagues.  We know the guys we have aren’t major league quality.  What’s to evaluate?  

Had they just signed Keuchel we would be fighting for the postseason. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They thought Karns might be a starter,but after first work knew his arm could not handle it. Then got Strally. Nothing has worked yet. I thought this team would win 60 or so games. The way Hyde is talking might go down a few wins. He is more blunt now. At least not blowing smoke up. Also said team is not really that young but inexperienced at the major league level.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I guess they would have gone with an opener and follow up with Hess maybe...The pitching is rather hopeless this season.

You may be correct. Makes a lot of sense.

My point is Means was not being talked about on Opening Day. So unless an opener needed someone. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They thought Karns might be a starter,but after first work knew his arm could not handle it. Then got Strally. Nothing has worked yet. I thought this team would win 60 or so games. The way Hyde is talking might go down a few wins. He is more blunt now. At least not blowing smoke up. Also said team is not really that young but inexperienced at the major league level.

Karns was a low risk move with some upside. Made sense. 

Hyde being blunt is a positive for me.

59 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ridiculous statement.  They didn't have to sign top free agents to not be the laughing stock of baseball.  Signing guys for a few million dollars so you have some depth and aren't a historically bad team isn't so hard. 

Archived