What free agents should we sign?

jrobb21613

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or coordinate.

I will beat @wildcardto the punch and say Iglesias. 

I'd go with Yasmani Grandal or Wilson Ramos at catcher.  Or any catcher that's got a lot of veteranosity and can help young pitchers along and can hit a little.  

Honestly, looking at the list there's no one I'd be really excited about the Orioles signing.  There are some nice big ticket items out there but we're not playing in that market, at least not yet.  We're looking for placeholders while the kids in the farm system develop.  I will say I hope Elias takes a defensive route in signing some guys this offseason, last years defense was just absolutely terrible to watch.  And if we are going to have to roll the dice with young pitching these next few years, better put some guys behind them that can catch the ball.  

I’m with ya on signing a catcher. Imo as far as position players even more so than middle inf, catcher is our most glaring weakness. I think it would be money wisely spent to sign a solid catcher with experience and success dealing with a young staff. 

4 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I’m with ya on signing a catcher. Imo as far as position players even more so than middle inf, catcher is our most glaring weakness. I think it would be money wisely spent to sign a solid catcher with experience and success dealing with a young staff. 

Get the payroll down to 60 million and then we can talk signing a shortstop or catcher. 

No reason to sign a solid FA catcher to a multi year deal. We would just be paying them during our losing years. It's a rebuild. You don't sign top free agents during a rebuild. You evaluate young talent and sign buy low high upside 1 year FA's with the hope they catch fire if there is no obvious young player ready to handle major league duties.

I think the O's should look into bringing back Beckham on a  1 year deal. Neil Walker and Yangervis Solarte are also bounce back candidates.

For SP I would look at Drew Pomeranz. Perhaps an outfielder like Cameron Maybin or Carlos Gomez.

Archived