Brandon Hyde on Hotstove tonight 6-7 PM

weams

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Bobby Dickerson, I just don't know how to quantify if he's really good at his job or not.

The YouTubes of him coaching (MASN Orioles channel) are great to listen to, especially because he'll tell a guy when he's not doing something right. Just a joy to listen to, but I don't know if that's because it's Bobby D or because we just don't normally get to see Major League coaching performed in front of a camera with a mic. You know? Maybe everybody seems that great. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

I'm sorta okay with Hyde, you know, NOT going on these dumb fan shows where he answers the same dumb questions for a 4th or 5th time. The Orioles are extremely behind the 8-ball ahead of the holidays and have a lot to do. I'd rather they just say no to these.

I'm in total agreement here, but they really need to do all the good publicity stuff that they can do in the wake of how bad last season is.  Now you've got some half assed fans in Dundalk being all like "Where's Buck Showalter and Adam Jones?  Who's this Elias guy?  And who's Hyde?  Man, they're gonna suck again!" and just not pay attention.  

They probably won't pay attention anyway but the Orioles are in damage control mode.  Well, maybe crisis control mode.  Dunno.  But they need all the friendly media softballs that they can get.  

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also Hyde is uhh.. not great (yet) at talking to the media. He kind of sounds like a player reading from the media quote guide. He'll get there, but he needs to settle in a little first.

It'll be hard to duplicate Buck's "rope a dope" techniques but if he is as much of a Maddon prototype, he'll eventually get there.

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Bobby Dickerson, I just don't know how to quantify if he's really good at his job or not.

Dickerson is a good infield coach and a good 3rd base coach.   However, the test will be if Elias and Hyde think he can be a good analytics coach.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also Hyde is uhh.. not great (yet) at talking to the media. He kind of sounds like a player reading from the media quote guide. He'll get there, but he needs to settle in a little first.

Doesn’t surprise me tbh. I wonder how often he’s dealt with the press in the past. I definitely felt more shy when I initially dealt with clients, other firms, etc but got better. Gotta remember we were Buck’s 4th team and he had been on ESPN.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

3000+ games as a manager, with pre and post game interviews, would give him able time to polish his skills a bit.

Yeah fer sure and running to the pizza place to get George's calzones made him more adept.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I thought he was pretty good at the presser, after the first five minutes.     He’s never going to be folksy like Buck, but not many managers are.

I agree we probably won’t hear anything tonight we didn’t already hear on Monday.   That’s just the nature of the beast.    He’s already been asked most of the obvious questions, and he’s not going to tip his hand on specific issues like the coach search.   

54 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Here's a not so obvious question:

With all of the talk of analytics, how much of this still comes down to old tried and true coaching necessities like attention to detail, solid mechanics and strength and conditioning?

Answer: “a lot.”   And I don’t think anyone argues differently.    But give me two identical athletes, one of whom knows something relevant that the other one doesn’t, and I’ll take the one who knows something.    

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is fair.  What we do know is that he did a good job with Machado, who loves him, at third.  We also have the short video with Mancini where he sure seems like the kind of guy you want working with young guys.  Given how late in the game the Orioles are, sure seems like he would be a good hire.  Can always get rid of him later.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Answer: “a lot.”   And I don’t think anyone argues differently.    But give me two identical athletes, one of whom knows something relevant that the other one doesn’t, and I’ll take the one who knows something.    

Sure. My point in asking that question is establishing that analytics provides a basis to approach coaching, but coaching still matters. I can tell a guy the data says his arm angle is off, but if I don't watch him on every pitch and understand how his mechanics affect that, and then stay with that athlete to continuously improve that arm angle, the analytics will be wasted. No matter what, a good coach is needed. This is above and beyond, though definitely incorporating, analytics.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Sure. My point in asking that question is establishing that analytics provides a basis to approach coaching, but coaching still matters. I can tell a guy the data says his arm angle is off, but if I don't watch him on every pitch and understand how his mechanics affect that, and then stay with that athlete to continuously improve that arm angle, the analytics will be wasted. No matter what, a good coach is needed. This is above and beyond, though definitely incorporating, analytics.

I think that’s absolutely right.    

Archived